This Is Us. Anyone watching?

THANK You!!! Yikes, watch out Deja!

Yeah, names mean nothing to me - I’m terrible at actors. I just wondered what he had been on recently or that was popular - I don’t watch a ton of tv and even less movies - but I know him from somewhere!

1 Like

Ahhhh! Jeff Nordling, looked it up. I swear Desperate Housewives always comes back to haunt me!!! (Also Big Little Lies)

Description
DescriptionJeffrey Richard Nordling is an American actor. He is known for his roles as Jake Manning in Once and Again, Larry Moss in 24, Nick Bolen in Desperate Housewives, and Gordon Klein in Big Little Lies, as well as various films.

2 Likes

I wisely deferred from visiting this thread earlier today. I may finally take down my family room Christmas tree tomorrow, so plugged it in tonight to enjoy the lights and This Is Us. Loved the whole experience :grinning: I thought this episode did a great job of exploring Nicky and Deja. Last week was okay, but this week’s episode made me happy and it made me LOL when Nicky said he was leaving before he threw up as he acknowledged his newly found affection for Miguel!

4 Likes

Could someone fill me in about Malik? Was his baby mama already living in Boston or did she move there with Malik to share custody? How does he pay for child care/rent etc? And maybe because I remember my high school exploits but if my daughter had an out of town boyfriend ask me if she could spend the weekend with a friend–I’d double, triple check that’s where she really was

2 Likes

LOL. I read too quickly and didn’t watch the video. I was clearly confused as that name did not sound familiar. Thanks for the clarification.

1 Like

This is a pretty unrealistic storyline. That an 18-year-old boy is living off-campus at Harvard with a baby. The cost would be astronomical. And does the baby’s mother live in Boston also? In another apartment, with a baby sometimes
with maybe a low-paying job? Divorced parents with good incomes would struggle in that scenario. I just have to fast forward over that storyline.

3 Likes

Yes, I have just decided to suspend ALL disbelief and ride along with the show. In addition to the situation mentioned above (Harvard/baby/apartment), apparently the pandemic is OVER on This Is Us.

No masks on the bus, no problem bringing strangers (and their germs) into your home, college parties as usual . . .

4 Likes

Malik said something like “the scholarships pay for almost everything but they don’t cover my books and other expenses” as his reason for working. But, also agree that it’s pretty unrealistic. I can’t remember the explanation from last season (?) of the baby’s mother moving to Boston. But she was taking the child to her parents?mother? so implied she’s living with them/her.

2 Likes

My guess is that these episodes were filmed during that brief, hopeful period of early last summer where it seemed like by the time they aired they would be realistic. :frowning:

2 Likes

Had to mention the funniest scene of the episode, or maybe even the series – Nicky looking in his closet to decide which of the almost identical plaid flannel shirts he would pack to go visit Sally. :rofl:

13 Likes

Yes, I too thought that was hilarious. I also liked the flashback to younger Nicky with Sally - I had so much compassion for that Nicky character!!

Not to get off track with the thread but this is actually a point of discussion in tv media right now - the fact that many shows - This Is Us included and discussed as an example - had one season (the 2020-2021 season) where they addressed the pandemic and now
they don’t. There are several shows taking this road “out” of the pandemic.

3 Likes

That was hilarious. Reminds me of the commercial about becoming your parents and the guy buys the shirt exactly like the one he was wearing.

2 Likes

Believe it or not, Harvard has decent married student housing apartments. Had some friends who lived in them years ago. :woman_shrugging:

Honestly I am so tired of living the pandemic I would rather the show pretend that it is over.

8 Likes

While true, it’s not available to undergrads. And in the imaginary world where coronavirus does not exist, all first-year students at Harvard are required to live on campus, even if their parents live across the street.

Of course, in the real world, the probability of an 18 year old male gaining sole custody of his daughter, and then taking her out-of-state to where her mother now miraculously also lives, and then being able to financially care for her with only the support of a minimum wage part time job and (presumably) some government assistance while being a full-time student at one of the nation’s top universities, is close to zero. :grin:

10 Likes

All true!

Regarding not addressing the pandemic -

Not to bring up another show, but Grey’s Anatomy decided not to have that as part of the storyline this season, and shows a statement at the end of each episode that says:
We are existing in a fictional post-pandemic world. In real life, the pandemic is still ravaging healthcare workers.

4 Likes

I’ve just never understood why Malik has a baby. Never understood why his character was written like that. It just brings nothing to the show. I think they threw him in there to show a strong black man doing the right thing. Sort of the anti-William because William gave up his baby. But he could be doing the right thing without a baby, it just makes his character so implausible. Having him take a few courses at a CC and showing him struggling to keep up would have been a lot more believable.

And how is Deja so well adjusted? She was abandoned by her mother and taken in by the Pearson’s at an older age. But of course the Pearson’s can solve anything so she just blends perfectly into the family after a few good speeches from Randall. And starts dating an older boy with a baby because she’s so stable herself. Makes sense.

4 Likes

There is a human trait: resilience. Both characters perhaps display this.

Real life people do succeed “against all odds”.

3 Likes