This Is Us. Anyone watching?

I liked that this episode was as much about Rebecca as about Randall. I don’t always relate to all things Randall but when Rebecca was talking about the changing and growing and everything different from one year to the next, my empty nest self was feeling that reality.

6 Likes

Yeah, I didn’t get the impression that the green egg explodes. I would bet the green egg people wouldn’t like that!

I doubt some huge thing happens to Jack. It’s traumatic enough to lose a kid (ask me how I know). But, yeah, I think somehow it will be Toby’s fault and that’s a final straw.

1 Like

You mean like:

2 Likes

First the crockpot, now a green egg! They can’t take down two popular home cooking decides!

Exactly, y’all! At this point, if I’m an appliance company I’m begging to NOT get a product placement.

Found this about the flash forward and the smoker

The episode also transported viewers far into the future, where Jack Jr. (Blake Stadnik) smoked tasty meat in a Big Green Egg that Toby had purchased for the family long ago. When a memory suddenly washed over Jack Jr., wife Lucy (Auden Thornton) alluded to the physical (see: Jack Jr.'s forehead) and emotional scars left behind from a dark day in the Pearson past, leaving viewers to chew on a new mystery: What’s the story with that smoker, which she called “the literal symbol of the day your mom and dad’s marriage blew up”?

I (and others) assumed that the smoker caused the injury, but maybe it was Jack Jr. wandering off.

4 Likes

Also, the full circle of adoption was beautifully played. There is Rebecca who kept Randall from his birth father, but who Randall loves unconditionally, sitting with Deja who accused Randall of taking her from her mom, but then tells him he is her dad - her only dad.

6 Likes

Question: We see the close relationship between Randall and Rebecca laid out, though it’s been obvious in other episodes as well. I asked dh last night, “Would you say Rebecca loves Randall more than the other kids? Would they think she does?”

Curious what y’all think.

On favoritism - I will say this: there was one episode in the past - like maybe season 2?? - where my dh was saying Kevin was a whiny attention-seeker. I cannot remember the context of the episode. At any rate, I said, “I feel sorry for him. Randall is Rebecca’s favorite, and Kate is Jack’s favorite. Kevin is no one’s favorite.”

So, at least at some point, I absolutely thought that Randall was Rebecca’s favorite.

3 Likes

I haven’t read the comments here yet, but I just watched last night’s show….OMG I CRIED SO MANY TIMES!!!

1 Like

Ok, I’ve read the comments now.

First comment, I’ll be sad when this show ends because this has been one of my favorite CC threads - we laugh, we cry, we worry about exploding appliances!!!

I too have a Randall - which is why I think he and Rebecca’s relationship always gets me. Favorite child? No need to even think that. They have a special relationship, a special bond and a special history. It’s different than Kate and Kevin.

The cookies. The talk with the cop. The call at the diner because the clock is going to strike 11. Randall is the one who tries to both balance everything out and juggle and protect the family.

I wonder what happens with his political career. How far does he get? Is Beth ok with it? Or does it wear on her. I feel like we have seen Beth with some grey hair and seeming distant or “hardened”?? (Am I making this up in my head?).

A fine episode. I like what someone said earlier - a bookend to the William/Memphis episode.

6 Likes

Yes, I saw that look! Can I change my mind on the poll? I now think Kevin will get back together with Madison and am perfectly fine with that.

3 Likes

Honestly, every time I unplug my crock pot I think of This Is Us, can you imagine if the green egg exploded, would be like the peloton episode in And Just Like That, Mr Big dies on it, and Peleton stock prices plummeted. Ouch

5 Likes

It was a “grab the tissues” episode

1 Like

I admit not crying but I thought it was a very good episode.

I thought it was interesting to have 2 touching episodes sandwiched between the very jarring, honesty still upsetting episode of Kate’s. I still wonder what the writers motivation was.

I only wish they hadn’t gone with the political future. To me, it took a very touching, realistic story with a development that kinda seems a bit of fantasy. Although the fact that Randall actually lives in Pennsylvania was nice.

1 Like

I had to go on YouTube to find the promo for the next episode - I watch the show on Hulu and there is no promo after the show.

I’m gonna be a little perturbed if they make Toby the villain now and Kate look like the competent parent and partner.

4 Likes

I’m just here to remind everyone that the time space continuum is different in This Is Us.

Where else could one leave the Pittsburgh suburbs after a leisurely breakfast and be in CT well before dinner??

1 Like

I was going to bring this Pittsburgh thing up again about the cabin location after seeing this last episode. But now this cabin seems to be outside Philadelphia. Miguel was supposed to easily return Randall’s family to Philadelphia, while Randall and his mother went on a road trip to Boston. Philadelphia and Pittsburgh are 5 hours apart and complete opposite ends of the state!

I guess the cabin may still be supposed to be near Pittsburgh, but if so, that doesn’t seem to make sense for this family situation with Rebecca’s decline. . Nobody lives in Pittsburgh anymore. They are building a new big house on the property. Everyone lives on the West coast, Randall lives in Philadelphia, hours from Pittsburgh. Just confusing.

1 Like

As I’ve said before, TIU is set in an alternate universe. One where Andrew Garfield is Spider-Man, not Tom Holland. And where Pennsylvania is the size of Rhode Island. :grin:

6 Likes

I personally don’t care about the inconsistencies in location of the show. It’s a show. For me, it’s just not one of the things I get hung up on!

BUT, one of the first things I thought of when they were at the “remote” cabin was……how did Deja get to the bus/train/whatever station in the middle of the night to get to Boston? They didn’t talk about that did they? Did she walk or hitchhike in the middle of the night? Did she take Randall’s old rusty bike from the cabin shed and bike into the nearest town in the dark? Did she call an Uber?! LOL.

7 Likes