Thoughts on Elon Musk buying a stake in Twitter?

Unfortunately, there are also lots of drivers who drive worse than FSDB, and vastly outnumber the Teslas using FSDB.

3 Likes

I don’t want them in self-driving cars, either.

Or a drunk driver, or someone texting, or someone who just spilled their pumpkin spiced latte on their lap.

1 Like

Again, like why do you think those folks won’t be just as liable to be sitting in a “drives itself but pay attention because it really doesn’t know what it’s doing car”?

Or, MORE likely, actually.

1 Like

Speaking of full self driving
. anyone in the Phoenix area want a ride? Phoenix – Waymo

Simple math.

We took a Waymo a while back - very strange feeling,

now available in some areas fully driverless

It’s crazy that people still believe Elon’s hype and nonsense. Anyone who is interested in understanding the reality of Tesla should read Ed Niedermeyer’s book:
https://www.amazon.com/Ludicrous-Unvarnished-Story-Tesla-Motors/dp/1948836122

2 Likes

Actually, I’m not sure I believe all the hype. After all, most believe that a computer vision only stack will never succeed. Most say that multi-sensor approach reliant on LiDAR is the best approach (example Waymo). Not sure where you stand on that.

If you read journals, or occasionally scan LinkedIn employees at Tesla it’s pretty evident their autonomy team is top notch.

I can say Musk is kind of outrageous and at the same time recognize leading edge engineering. Many others cannot divorce the two.

Even Charlie Munger calls it a minor miracle.

His shift to vision only is a good example of how Tesla’s solution is sub-optimal. It stemmed from a falling out with Mobileye (later bought by Intel) because they called him out for misusing their sensors and killing people: Mobileye spills the beans: Tesla was dropped because of safety concerns – Ars Technica

Tesla has been hobbled by this decision for the last six years. The safety problems are getting even worse now they dropped both radar and ultrasonic sensors to cut costs (After cutting radar, Tesla now dropping ultrasonic sensors from its EVs – Ars Technica).

It’s hardly surprising that leaders of the Tesla autonomy team, notably Andrej Karpathy, have abandoned ship. And that there’s a growing push to ban FSD.

1 Like

My money still on Tesla for a generalized autonomy stack. Maybe they do incorporate other sensors maybe not, but I will not judge his engineering team on how I feel about one man.

Musk’s latest email to Twitter employees demanding “extremely hardcore” employees. With “long hours at high intensity. Only exceptional performance will constitute a passing grade.” Basically, hardcore or you’re fired.

https://edition.cnn.com/2022/11/16/tech/elon-musk-email-ultimatum-twitter/index.html

I’d personally hit the “no thanks” button and take the three months severance. I’m not averse to exceptional performance, I just don’t see it as “a passing grade” at work. Last time I did exceptionally well I was rewarded with trips to Napa Valley, Vegas, large bonus, and a raise. I’ll take that over a nod in the hallway and a “you passed” from management.

Oh and this is funny - Musk firing engineers for correcting him when he tweets incorrect info.

But then he says this:
“those writing great code will constitute the majority of our team and have the greatest sway.“

6 Likes

Sounds like a version of Lumon the company on the show Severance! :open_mouth:

If you read between the lines, many tech CEOs are taking the same position - that days of living large are gone - the days of a kombucha bar on every floor are limited. Musk just takes an in-your-face approach that many find less than appealing. In the end, he gave the employees a choice - let’s work hard together or seek employment elsewhere. Of course they could just walk and take a job at Intel. Nope Intel is currently laying off ~10,000, but that’s OK Intel is old school. How about Meta? Nope, they’re laying off ~11,000. Netflix, Microsoft, Snap, Amazon, all laying off employees. But, hey there’s always Google, right? Probably not

Google recently slashed the budget for employee travel and entertainment after reporting weaker-than-expected earnings. Further, Sundar Pichai asked employees to help “create a culture that is more mission-focused, more focused on our products, more customer focused. We should think about how we can minimize distractions and really raise the bar on both product excellence and productivity.” Pichai also said (during a recent all-hands meeting) - “I remember when Google was small and scrappy. We shouldn’t always equate fun with money. I think you can walk into a hard-working start-up and people may be having fun and it shouldn’t always equate to money.”

2 Likes

I personally don’t see “work 12-14 hours days and sleep under your desk” hidden between the lines of “no more kombucha bar” and “reduced travel”. But my eyes are getting a bit old so I could be wrong.

9 Likes

When I hired on to fruit company in the mid 80’s a popular shirt among the employees was ‘90 hours a week and loving it’. Then the profit margins rose, and the hiring was out of control. And expectations of massages, afternoons at the movies, carrot juice, quarter end trips to places like Vail (to clear out the excess budget $$) eventually hit reality.

DS is at company named after big number. His reports on employees who went home to foreign country to ‘work’ during the pandemic - and the actual lack of work they did, he talks about teams where it take a group of 5 two weeks to do what DS proved can be done in a day.

Tech is going to clean out the bench warmers.

Life wil continue

5 Likes

I think that once Google starts pruning we will be approaching bottom on the layoffs, and pressure is mounting

https://www.reuters.com/technology/hedge-fund-tci-says-alphabet-cost-base-too-high-2022-11-15/

1 Like

One company’s bad news may be another company’s good news.

3 Likes