Thoughts on Elon Musk buying a stake in Twitter?

Meta may be laying off employees, but they’re still proceeding along with this project’s approvals:

https://www.sfgate.com/realestate/article/menlo-park-facebook-campus-willow-village-housing-16333839.php

And I wish them all well.

Successful startups typically look to hire people that are willing to put in long hours to achieve a singular goal. In a way, startups are looking for employees that can commit to “long hours at a high intensity” in order to “build a breakthrough”. Oh wait, that’s what Must asked for… :laughing:

2 Likes

For many of those coming from Facebook, Amazon, etc joining startup will be a huge cut in compensation. Also many of them are on work visa. Not many startups can and want to deal with filing paperwork.

1 Like

People who end up in startups like to work long hours because they are excited about the ownership of their work and the possible rewards (material and not) that may come along. Working for Musk… not so much.

5 Likes

No kombucha bar? Horrors. Techies will have to live and work like those low life biotech employees?! Scandalous.

3 Likes

I think that there are many people that work in Musk owned companies that “feel the ownership of their work and the possible rewards”.

The larger point, is that it used to be that a strong work ethic was table-stakes in all tech companies not just startups. Big SW launch coming up? Bring your sleeping bag to work and your manager will buy the pizza cuz we’re going to stay until the jobs done. Long hours? No, that was the unspoken agreement - and it was kind of fun actually. That’s what Googles CEO was talking about at their all-hands meeting.

2 Likes

I don’t even know what kombucha is, but what I do know is that if has sugar in it, then it’s not good for you. :grinning:

2 Likes

It’s fun if you believe in what you’re doing, and miserable if you don’t. So basically, the ones that will stick it out at Twitter are those that buy into what Elon is selling and those who leave are the ones that don’t. Most of those working there now were hired with one set of expectations and that has now changed.

5 Likes

agree 100%.

and no free laundry/dry cleaning.

1 Like

There are thousands of excited folks working for Musk in Tesla (and SpaceX and Boring Company) bcos they believe in the vision/mission. And that’s what makes Twitter problematic for ee’s, as they don’t believe in, or are uncomfortable with, Elon’s vision for Twitter 2.0.

As I mentioned upthread, Elon should have required everyone back to the office on Day 1, no more WFH, and that action itself would have resulted in hundreds, if not more, of resignations. No need to terminate them.

3 Likes

He’s been pretty vague about his vision for Twitter 2.0 – he’s talked about making X the eveything app, but publicly hasn’t mentioned what that really means to him. Which then leaves do you believe in Elon as a leader? To me he appears pretty erratic and way too interested in the culture wars (with no clearly discernible consistent philosophy)…so I certainly wouldn’t follow the guy, but he has a lot of fans, so they’re more than welcome to work 12-14 hour days for him.

1 Like

moderation, culture wars is the point of some stuff he thinks he can tackle while making a digital town square.

In contrast, many employees prefer the former management’s view of those issues, particularly those ee’s based in SF.

2 Likes

right, but he seems to have an inconsistent view of it while also engaging in the culture wars in a particularly combative manner. It appears to me that he’s most likely going to attract people who want to win the culture wars from a particular angle than those interested in solving it.

More likely he will attract engineers interested in challenging work as most engineers are attracted more to technological challenges than political opportunities. At least that’s how it has been.

1 Like

that’s true, if he can present a vision that makes the work seem challenging in an interesting way.

It’s always a two-way street. Twitter is now a private company, and presumably, Musk wants to take the company public again at some point. If he wants his employees to be as dedicated as those who work at startups, he needs to incentivize them accordingly.

4 Likes

Welcome to adulthood.

1 Like

Not sure I understand the comment. If your employment conditions change you’re free to leave, right? Seems kind of stupid to just accept whatever your employer throws at you.

7 Likes

Leave to go where? It’s a terrible time to look for a job and will be for the next few months if not longer