Thoughts on Elon Musk buying a stake in Twitter?

Dark gray is also a no-extra-charge color. There are three extra charge colors (black, red, blue). Silver was discontinued a few years ago.

But then most cars seem to sell mostly grayscale colors. Red and blue are the most common non-grayscale colors. So color choices are not an aspect that Tesla does differently.

I believe the coatings industry would call it “achromatic” or not colorful.

Most people aren’t car enthusiasts and are risk-averse, thinking an odd color may drive down resale value. And car dealers might choose to stock the most popular colors, thus limiting the overall supply of unusual colors.

I just call it boring.

At least this Tesla has yellow wheels. :rofl:

2 Likes

Rumor is that Musk wanted to name his first four mass-produced EV models S, E, X, and Y. Someone else (Ford?) claimed the “E,” so the lineup had to spell “sexy” as “S3XY.” :laughing:

I agree, there is nothing sexy about Teslas. But they move people from A to B just fine. Ford’s Mach E looks so much snazzier.

2 Likes

Ah, I didn’t even pay attention to the Tesla car model names. Makes complete sense now. I also thought he should fire his car-naming teams as well. :grinning:

That’s definitely a Musk-sounding idea for sure.

1 Like

Out of curiosity, quickly looked up in TESS… yup, looks like Ford grabbed “Model E” trademark for “Automobiles.”

1 Like

The Mach E is what I ended up going with this year when I needed a new car… love it. I will say though that Tesla’s design is more efficient and is in part responsible for the greater range they get over the Mach E (battery tech is also part of the reason). Still the tradeoff was worth it to me.

1 Like

Don’t get me started with Ford adorning the Mach E with the Mustang ornament and tailight panel. Grrr. :-1:

LOL… yeah, pure marketing… but it’s very, very fun to drive.

1 Like

Well it looks like Musk has just blown up Twitter, with the vast majority of staff refusing his “hardcore” demand:

https://twitter.com/kyliebytes/status/1593391167718113280

:saluting_face:

2 Likes

1 Like

Wow, 75% of remaining employees chose not to be “hardcore”. I’m stunned (not really) that most employees declined to work 80 hours a week for no additional reward.

I admit to being honestly baffled that Musk would seemingly set out to deliberately destroy something that cost him so much. Maybe he always just wanted the assets but not the staff, but even if that was the case he’s going about it in a really strange manner.

I’m waiting with bated breath to see if he follows through and lays off those 75%.

edit: Adding another article with more details
https://edition.cnn.com/2022/11/17/tech/twitter-employees-ultimatum-deadline/index.html

1 Like

According to the same (and other) sources, all Twitter employees are now locked out of facilities. Most of the employees who didn’t click “yes” are on visas and didn’t have much choice. Few are interested in working for “hard core” Musk.

It’s looking more and more that thinking you are a tech genius doesn’t really make you capable of competently running a company.

2 Likes

What has the world come to, that protecting a billionaire’s fortune isn’t a lofty enough goal for any sacrifice?

7 Likes

Here is my opinion. Musk thinks he knows how to run Twitter. He doesn’t.

4 Likes

Right? At least buy me dinner if you’re going to demand I spend the night (sleeping under my desk, that is).

IS he trying to protect his fortune? And did he actually spend any of his own money? What is his true end game here? It seems like he is purposely destroying Twitter. He must have some kind of motive that benefits himself in some fashion. I’m giving him the benefit of some kind of purpose rather than entertaining the idea that he is just a collossal incompetent.

2 Likes

I’ve never thought particularly highly of Musk, but it’s been amazing to see how ineptly he’s handled every single step of this process. Just clown cars of stupid at every single turn.

In his “fork in the road” email — the one with the ultimatum from (* checks notes *) yesterday — he says “at its heart, Twitter is a software and servers company”, and I think that highlights how dumb he is about all of this. No organization is — at its heart — the raw materials that it uses to create something new or to deliver value to the world. It’s shocking to me that he was that clueless about how high-performance teams operate.

3 Likes

He might not want current employees to stay and it’s easier for him to get rid of them this way with no severance and not dealing with California regulations for mass layoffs. After they gone he will hire those who follow his lead and not rebellious. With mass layoffs everywhere he will not have difficulty to fill open positions at his new lean Twitter 2.0

2 Likes

That’s nonsensical. “California regulations for mass layoffs” require 60 days notice; he just voluntarily offered them three months’ worth of salary and benefits if they didn’t actively opt-in to his “hardcore” mandate. So big-brain Musk just paid 50% more than he needed to for that. Furthermore, his ineptitude, mendacity, and straight-up bullying have prompted a mass exodus of absolutely irreplaceable institutional knowledge. Many of the people posting on Twitter about their departure have been there for 8, 9, 10 years. No new hire can backfill that gap.

There’s a concept that senior engineers often pass along to junior engineers. It’s called “Chesterton’s fence”, and it comes from the British writer G.K. Chesterton. The basic premise is “until you know why something was built, and what purpose it served, don’t tear it down”. It’s a call to be humble and curious as you encounter new things. It’s a shame there’s nobody in Musk’s life who told him about it. In his arrogance, Musk came in and started ripping out wires, laying off entire teams, setting up unrealistic demands, and creating tremendous amounts of thrash. Nobody with any other options is going to submit to that toxicity. If the news reports above are reliable, after his ultimatum blew up in his face today, he’s going to be left with roughly 25% of his already-reduced workforce, which puts him somewhere around 13% of his original headcount.

I’m incredibly skeptical that he’ll be able to hire people who know what they’re doing, let alone people who can step into a gutted, dysfunctional organization and make heads or tails of it. All of those senior and staff engineers that are getting drinks together right now in SF, NYC, or in their alumni Slack are the ones who would have been mentoring and training those new hires. Rather, he’s going to end up with sycophants and toadies, eager to lick his boots and prove their devotion by sleeping at the office. And if he’s able to find people who are actually stupid enough to work for him? They’ll deserve one another.

13 Likes

Didn’t he just lay off a bunch?