Thoughts on Elon Musk buying a stake in Twitter?

Is it? I’ve had a couple of developer positions open for a couple of months that I can’t get qualified people to apply for. Granted for my positions there are some factors which make it tough to fill… but just doing a quick job search shows tens of thousands of open positions for software engineers in San Francisco.

Qualified software engineers are still very much in demand.

2 Likes

Bad time to job-search if you are a recruiter. Not too bad if you are a software engineer with up to date skills.

2 Likes

Not sure that it’s that easy to find SWE job that pays well by SWE standards these days. All big companies are in hiring freeze. Startups can’t pay as much as big guys. Check Blind and you will see desperate SWEs who lost jobs and can’t get interviews

2 Likes

yes. Things change often in the tech environment. If one doesn’t like the new management style then one can leave. That’s the adulting part. One can’t expect a place of employment to not change from whatever state/status/culture it was on the day one decided to become employed by that company.

1 Like

Seems like an extraneous comment then since that’s exactly what we had all been saying already.

3 Likes

Interesting, I have a friend who switched jobs a month ago and she didn’t have an issue. I guess it’s bound to happen eventually though. Software engineers have had a very good run for a while, and higher interest rates means money will be flowing differently than it has been since the era of cheap money began.

There are still tons of jobs open around where I live though in DC if you can get a clearance

2 Likes

Also, I think there’s going to be a sorting out of qualified engineers and those that just wear the title. I occasionally have to cycle through a couple to get a good one. Which of course means I need to change my vetting process

1 Like

Musk said today in the lawsuit over his compensation that “It’s my experience that great engineers will only work for a great engineer”.
https://twitter.com/lorakolodny/status/1592892747438239745

But his problem is that he’s not a great programmer, whatever his experience in how to design a car or a rocket. His programming work on PayPal was two decades ago. So the Twitter engineers are mocking his lack of understanding of their database technology and he’s busy firing them in embarrassment because it doesn’t match his self image of him being a “great engineer”. What might apply at Tesla or SpaceX doesn’t necessarily carry over to Twitter.

7 Likes

Much of the members at my gym at in tech. I spoke with one, a manager with a team 20 people at Meta, with this thread in mind.

In the last week or two, he told me he had to lay off 4 employees of the team of 20. I asked him a bunch of questions tonight, but one of the questions was if he knew what happened to those 4 laid off employees. He said 3 of them got new jobs, one never returned his email asking how they’re faring.

One anecdote from SV.

3 Likes

As my S says ….” Or will it ??” Time will tell. Of all his companies, I’m interested less in Twitter and the Boring company ( if that still exists)

1 Like

I think he’s a different category. He’s not at the level of a programmer, I don’t think he ever was either, same with Mark Zuckerberg. He’s at CEO level.

1 Like

“The founder of Tesla”? Nope.

3 Likes

he’s legally listed as a co-founder.

I don’t think people would care if he is a good engineer or not. He is a person with a vision. That is completely different category. You can like him or hate him. There are a lot of great engineers but not a lot of people with a vision.

5 Likes

He’s also an entrepreneur, maybe that’s why he went to business school to bring forth some of his visions.

Technically, not “the” founder. :slight_smile: And we know the real story. But whatever.

One can have a superb vision, do great things, and then go myopic. Or climb too high and then crash and burn. Happens quite often.

1 Like

I say people are not perfect, even some of people we revere today.

1 Like

Trouble is, he hasn’t yet paid the promised severance on those he already laid off. He seems to be making things up as he goes along, day-to-day, and so who knows if he’ll honor that or not.

2 Likes

IMO, being a car aficionado, instead of firing employees on the engineering and programming side of the business, he should be firing his design and color palatte teams.

Warning: Hyperbole forthcoming…

First, all Tesla’s look the same to me, but for their original roadster.

Second, one of Henry Ford’s famous quotes about the Model T was, “Any customer can have a car painted any color that he wants, so long as it is black.” Well, in Tesla’s case, it should be changed to “any color, as long as it’s white.” :rofl:

3 Likes

Seems like a good match for the 140 character attention spans that the Twitter service caters to.

But that is different from the optimal way of running a company (including Twitter) or managing the paying customers (advertisers).

2 Likes