Thoughts on Elon Musk buying a stake in Twitter?

Maybe I didn’t make my point clear. My daughter was with a bad startup with poor leadership, after 8-9 months. Every time she talked to the founder, she had to spend time refocus herself because of what he said. These are all Ivy leagues people who came from Google. She’s now with a non startup and he’s reputation as a good leader on Wall Street. In fact, we can’t find anything bad written about him in the press.

My startup was not with poor leadership, they all were pretty good leaders, all came from Cisco, which the star in my days. But the atmosphere was toxic, lots of backstabbing and jealousy resulting in bad morale. I left after a year, but at the time I was counting on making lots of money from this startup due to its reputation and the people who backed them.

So my point is, finding a good startup with the things you mention in your post is like finding a needle in a haystack. Go back and read what Bill Gates was like with Paul Allen back in the startup days.

1 Like

I see 80 hours work week reference everywhere but we all know how easy it is so spread misinformation by news sources and social media. Some sources I read mentioned mandatory return to office and nothing about 80 hours work week. Is there any links to reliable information on what actually was in that demand he sent out?

I believe he said it live in a company meeting, so it’s not written down.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2022-11-10/musk-tells-twitter-staff-social-network-s-bankruptcy-is-possible?leadSource=uverify%20wall

At least on his promise/threat to cut Twitter’s staffing by 75%, he has over-delivered!

5 Likes

You said he started successful businesses. that’s not genius. It’s not like he’s the one inventing the cars and the rockets, etc. Facilitating them is business. He’s (mostly) good at that.

3 Likes

Let’s not equate Twitter with a startup. A startup is a company that is trying to make a product from an idea. Twitter is an established company that was making $$ yet bleeding cash so arguably was in need of restructuring. A whole different ball of wax.

5 Likes

Quite a few people in my profession use Twitter accounts (including me), usually with their real names. They get a lot of value out of this for straightforward professional reasons (sharing their work, seeing other people’s work, announcing job openings), and for more holistic and social reasons.

Most everyone in my Twitter circle is kind of freaking out now. Some people are waiting to see what happens, and others are spinning up their presence at other venues. The less tech-savvy are intimidated by Mastodon, which is why I think there aren’t more people over there yet. That seems to be the place where the Twitter exodus is going, for now.

I waited until a few people started making accounts at Mastodon, and now I’ve done the same. I don’t tweet much, but I read a lot to keep my finger on the pulse. I don’t want to be cut off of that information flow, as it’s been valuable to me.

I made my Twitter account 10 years ago, anonymously. That’s because there was a bit of a blog implosion in my field at the time (sigh, I kind of miss the days of blogs and Google Reader). I started using it non-anonymously a few years ago. That’s put me in the position of feeling constrained with what I do on the account. I’d been wanting to make a different anonymous account and split who I’m following accordingly. This gives me a great opportunity to do that without the awkwardness of unfollowing people. I’m in no hurry to make my anon account because I don’t need it for my work – it’s just for fun.

I’ll be interested to see what happens. I’ll use both Twitter and Mastodon for a while until things shake out.

Oh, and FWIW, most actual neuroscientists really dislike Musk.

2 Likes

What a Dumpster Fire this has become.

I am not reading through all the comments so sorry if someone already mentioned but did you see where he didn’t really get his degree BS in Physics.

2 Likes

Well, this ought to settle the “Is Elon Musk a genius?” argument. :grinning:

https://www.sociosite.net/famous-person-iq/elon-musk#:~:text=IQ%20155,evidence%20proving%20the%20precise%20amount.

2 Likes

That’s a very good point. I think that many tech companies are finding out that once they get to a certain size they need to be run differently. Startups are small and everyone is singularly focused on the same goal. After achieving success many of these now large companies fail to pivot to their new reality - not everyone is aligned and some have their own agendas. Companies like Google, and Twitter IMO are great examples of this - internal identity groups, employees who feel that a company is democracy and that they should be able to set strategy. If the pandemic saw the “great resignation” the recession will bring about the “great cleansing”.

1 Like

CNN news just reported that Musk sent an internal email to Twiiters software engineers:

It seems CNN got it wrong again. Here is the email and the meaning is completely different

1 Like

Ya, I’m not a software engineer, but the meaning looks exactly the same to me, except you have to “prove your worth” first in order to get into the office on the 10th floor.

9 Likes

How do they get to the 10th floor if badges have been deactivated for the day, as reported in https://www.cnbc.com/2022/11/18/twitter-planned-to-close-offices-friday-but-musk-asks-engineers-in.html ?

1 Like

At this point, with the best people likely long gone, anyone remaining that can find the 10th floor will likely be the winner of the “competition.” :grinning:

4 Likes

Yup! Saw that. A lot of shady re-shaping off his story. The post had plenty of evidence to back up the assertions, too.

BofA should get an asterisk on that deal. They were strong-armed by the Treasury Dept to pick up Countrywide (for the good of the economic system) with a handshake deal that the Feds would help protect any big losses. The Feds then reneged.

5 Likes

He will be left with those on H1B visas, not the most talented/engaged employees. Last I saw, this is about 700. If they took the departure option, they would have, iirc, 60 days to find another employer to sponsor their visa or leave the country.

Musk’s talent in other businesses has mostly been in hiring very talented people to actually run them.

6 Likes

If he lied on his green card and/or citizenship applications then that’s grounds for his citizenship to be revoked and for him to be deported.

4 Likes

Meanwhile, a message projected on the side of Twitter headquarters tonight reads:

“Elon Musk: mediocre manchild, pressurized privilege, petty racist, megalomaniac, worthless billionaire, bankruptcy baby, supreme parasite, petulant pimple, apartheid baby”pic.twitter.com/ltVMYVuSce

— philip lewis (@Phil_Lewis_) November 18, 2022