Thoughts on Elon Musk buying a stake in Twitter?

Awww…I think SF should be super happy to get rid of that tech bro blight. They’ve been talking smack about all the problems those tech bros brought to the beautiful city. Buses, gentrification, crazy rents, $15 avocado toasts. SF should be celebrating a return to the wonder that it was before all of this /

And irony of ironies…this type of behavior just highlights who the spoiled children really are. The semi adult version of ‘I hate you, you suck now give me $$ and drive me to the mall’. Maybe some man buns are just a bit to tight :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Twitter was fully remote so if you think SF will become a better place because tech bro from Twitter will be gone, that is not going to happen.

3 Likes

Relevant to basically nothing, but I just realized muskmelon is nearly a perfect anagram for “Elon Musk.”

Sleep well, dear Prince of Free Speech Absolutism…

2 Likes

I used to be very skeptical about IQ and critical of the methods that are used.

However, reading that article has convinced me, not only that IQ is valid, but that the ranking of celebrities by their IQ, as done by magazines like “People” is accurate and scientific. I am convinced that the people at Sociosite know what they are talking about. After all, they are the ONLY website that has been able to calculate the IQ of Tony Stark. That requires some pretty strong set of data tools.

However, their calculations of the IQ of Batman is a bit off. They probably don’t know that they should be checking the IQ of Bruce Wayne, but I think that the people at Sociosite still haven’t been told who Batman really is.

Holy IQ, Batman!

3 Likes

Twitter reinstates Thebabylonbee account

Some outlets had reported that the banning of Thebee was one of the reasons pushing Musk to take over Twitter in the first place.

I enjoy reading their satire. Although sometimes it can feel more like a prediction of reality to come.

1 Like

These talented people Musk hired certainly deserved more credit. It’s unfortunate that our society doesn’t reward adequately the people behind the scenes, not just in his businesses but in all businesses, and in fact, in all lines of work.

However, let’s be fair. Musk also deserved credit. NASA has talents. Jeff Bezo’s Blue Origin has talents. United Launch Alliance, the joint venture between Boeing and Lockheed Martin, has talents. They didn’t succeed to nearly the same degree as SpaceX. GM and Ford have talents in the automobile industry, but they didn’t succeed in the EV business to nearly the same degree as Tesla. Without SpaceX and Tesla, we wouldn’t be where we are in the global races in those industries.

2 Likes

Maybe is a marketing genius - nearly 900 posts on CC about him… :laughing:

6 Likes

My kiddo is, I suppose, the typical tech bro in SF. But he generally has an unexpected take on things, and he knows a number of people who work/worked for Twitter. He said that Twitter had a reputation of being an easy work environment, and that likely during Covid when everyone was staying home, that people got lazy and didn’t do much work. He thinks they were probably very overstaffed. On the other hand, he does know exceptional people who were fired, which makes me think they just started getting rid of most everyone, the good along with the not so good.

He thinks Twitter will not go out of business, even with what seems like poor management practices right now, because they’re a monopoly. He also thinks that this might be the most interesting company around right now, and is considering applying. He has quit a few companies after a short time in the last year that have paid eye popping sums of money, so he’s not into this for the money, but for interesting work. I told him that I thought the only people left at Twitter would be those who can’t quit because of the work visas and those who can’t get a job elsewhere, but he thinks otherwise. What do I know?

5 Likes

Compare that with 135 posts on Elizabeth Holmes and 34 posts on Bankman-Fried. Are people making a bigger villain out of Musk than the other two?

3 Likes

Marc Andreessen agrees with your son:
“If I were a coder in my 20s again, I know exactly where I would go work right now. What an incredible moment.”

Good company ….

5 Likes

My DD is in tech in SF and she agrees with you son. Twitter was known for being too big, too laidback. She also thinks Twitter will not go under after all restructuring

5 Likes

I think your kiddo and my kiddo must have had lunch "). DS is a tech bro…with a very similar take on things. He’s at a large well known tech bro company and reports very much the same observations. An example I gave above - one of his remote teams just couldn’t seem to produce at what he considered a reasonable level. He proved that what they were struggling with for days on end he, as a team of ONE, did in one day. Their response…they weren’t willing to work at that level.

Some of the WFH crowd really excelled and rose to the occasion. He supports teams distributed around the globe and as such has the attitude - yup, some days I’m up at midnight and again at six due to the time differences. Some weeks/months you are grinding, some times you have a chance slack off.

And some WFH just never did get up to production level speed. And now certainly don’t want to be recalled to an office.

Folks holding certain ideological positions are loving to hate on Elon. I think it is a cover for the frustration and sense of indignation since they no longer have control of a narrative of which they approved. And now, might just be exposed to a narrative which they oppose.

5 Likes

Hmmm, ya think?
:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Andreessen also invested $400MM into this round of Twitter, so he’s practically beholden to his firm’s LPs to boost Elon’s vision for it.

4 Likes

To those of you with kids who are thinking about going to work for Twitter, all I can say is this: The patterns you establish in the early days of your career are profound and transformative, and establish a baseline of what work can and should look like that will last throughout your working life. Anyone talented enough to get an offer from Twitter should be able to get a job at other companies as well, even in a difficult economy. I would strongly encourage people to find leaders they can truly believe in, who’ll treat them with respect, dignity, and with integrity.

A CEO at a company I used to work for one time wrote a blistering message in the company’s Slack workspace, because he was in the bathroom and saw that one of the engineers had spit their chewing gum into the urinal and it was sitting on the urinal pad. He was absolutely livid, pointing out that that disrespectful action meant that a human — almost certainly one who would be paid far, far less than the high-flying tech salaries of most of the employees at the company — was going to have to reach into the urinal to pick up someone’s spat-out gum. This CEO noted that the salary, the perks, the benefits — they didn’t give employees at the company the right to treat anyone with disrespect. In fact, it was just the opposite. He reached in himself, got the gum, and threw it out, and said that if he ever saw somebody treat the janitorial staff, the security guards, or any other employees with that disrespect, he would personally walk them out of the building. That’s the kind of leadership I can get behind, and the kind of person I want to work for and learn from.

Contrast that with this report from Casey Newton this morning: “Multiple ex-Twitter sources telling me that Robin Wheeler, the sales leader who Musk begged to stay at the company days ago when she tried to resign, has now been fired”. Who knows if she got the three months of severance she would have otherwise been granted if she had been able to resign two days before. Or with this absolute gentleman, a senior director of engineering at Twitter, who fired people, then realized they had essential institutional knowledge, and was trying to figure out how to hire them back, learn what they knew, and then fire them.

So, yes. As I was saying above. If your children are thinking of working for a post-Elon Twitter, I wish them luck. But I would strongly encourage them to deeply consider the total package of what their working life will look like, to avoid predatory, toxic management, and to look for the kinds of leaders who build truly healthy teams. The kinds of leaders with low egos, with ambitious goals that are balanced with deep empathy and a realistic understanding that your job is just one facet of a beautiful, messy life. The kinds of leaders who’ll reach into the urinal themselves, throw out the gum, and then normalize that act of service so that others want to do the same.

15 Likes

That would count out many tech visionaries that
tend to be opinionated, blunt, and not open to “suffer” fools. Steve Jobs?

6 Likes

Probably more traffic when some think he is a villain and others think he is a hero, compared to those whom everyone with an opinion here seems to think are villains.

2 Likes

It’s tempting to see the impact Steve Jobs had on the world, to see his methods of how he got from A to B, and to draw lines of causality. That is, it’s tempting to say “well, if I want to have an impact like Steve Jobs, I have to have a demeanor like Steve Jobs.” That logic isn’t sound.

There are plenty of bosses who act like jerks, and who justify their behavior because of Steve Jobs or some other person on a pedestal, who frankly aren’t any good at designing or developing products, or at developing teams of people with those skills.

The good news is that there are also plenty of great bosses, who do support their people, and who are also really great at shipping things people want. Those are the ones to keep an eye out for.

6 Likes

The simple truth is that there are many different styles. Kinder and gentler does not own a monopoly on success. In tech especially, many successful founders are opinionated, and direct.

6 Likes

They can be opinionated and direct, and still be decent human beings. IMHO.

14 Likes