Thoughts on Elon Musk buying a stake in Twitter?

Interesting. Sounds like a new job for PBS.
Bureaucrats or politicians often would rather there be a federal standard or an umpire for services and goods provided by a private company.

Then, instead of whining, the politicians should pass a law(s); the bureaucrats should promulgate regulations. In other words, they should just do their jobs.

5 Likes
1 Like

It’s clear that Musk will just lie about absolutely anything…

2 Likes

Starter wife , messiest divorce

The Courts approved a suit in which Elon is designated a “co-founder”. CrunchyHugger is just showing his ignorance in the tweet.

(Not sure why this keeps coming up on cc.)

Approved a suit? What exactly do you mean by this?

My understanding is that the parties in the lawsuit reached a settlement that allowed five individuals (two who originally incorporated and founded the company, plus Musk and two others) to call themselves “co-founders.” The other terms (who might have payed for the privilege and how much) were confidential. Generally a court will dismiss a case upon notice of settlement and request for dismissal, but this is a far cry from any sort of pronouncement as to the factual accuracy of such settlement terms.

In other words, I don’t believe the settlement has much bearing on who actually founded the company outside of how those five agreed to spin it, nor does it preclude anyone else of having a different opinion on that question.

1 Like

This thread…yikes. The cult of personality is a dangerous thing.

9 Likes

For many he can do no wrong. For many others he can do nothing right.

To me, I can appreciate his strengths and cringe at his weaknesses. He is unfiltered, demanding, opinionated. He also leads, IMO, two of the most innovative companies in the world in Tesla and SpaceX. That is an accomplishment that few can claim.

Twitter was a wreck before he took over and will remain a wreck for sometime. Can Musk fix it? Who knows, but what is clear is that many will not like the new Twitter simply because Musk is at the helm.

5 Likes

https://www.realclearpolitics.com/articles/2022/11/26/the_data_show_twitter_is_far_from_dying_148523.html

’ In the end, Twitter confronts real challenges from its mass exodus of employees and advertisers. Yet, as the graphs above show, contrary to press and pundit consensus, Twitter’s users aren’t going anywhere. There simply is no completing platform that offers them the same self-reassuring forum of journalists, policymakers, and celebrities fawned upon by hundreds of millions who cheer them on or shout criticisms into the void. Perhaps the greatest change Musk’s purchase might yield is finally arousing concern from the press and policymakers about a handful of unelected billionaires controlling the modern public square.’

1 Like

That’s a valid concern! Although the public square was pretty minimal and shut down in the past. I think we are all still finding our way, with the information ocean in which we all now live…

2 Likes

I’m slowly working mow way thru that linked article (on the billionaires). Going to take a few sessions to get thru it. But it does make my blood run cold.

1 Like

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not to their own set of facts. And the fact is that Elon is legally a co-founder. Perhaps he paid (or bullied?) his way to the title, but he still has it.

Sure, that doesn’t mean that some won’t recognize his co-founder title, but that’s on them if they want to be a title-denier.

1 Like

The fact is, there is no “legal” standard of “co-founder,” at least not one adjudicated in that settled lawsuit. You can opine that a settlement agreement makes him, in your opinion, the co-founder, but let’s not pretend that your opinion or their agreement makes it a “fact.” The fact is they have an agreement, but that agreement isn’t binding on anyone but them. Others may have a different opinion of what constitutes founding a company. Coming up with the concept and incorporating the company, for instance.

3 Likes

Let’s move on from debating the “founders” of Tesla please.

3 Likes

:popcorn:Senator Markey calls for an end to ‘failed Big Tech self-regulation’ following Musk letter snub

2 Likes

Lol.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/business/2022/11/23/musk-sbf-ftx-business-turkeys/

Kara Swisher talks Twitter under Musk so far

2 Likes

Wapo paywall