Thoughts on Elon Musk buying a stake in Twitter?

Jim Carrey leaving Twitter.

2 Likes

Didn’t know that he was still alive.

Your feedback is appreciated. Now pay $8.

4 Likes

Elon Musk just left a Twitter video of Apple’s HQ in Cupertino, thanking Tim Cook for the tour. It would appear the Apple/Twitter speech war was a bit overblown.

Jim Carrey had nearly 19 million followers. He is most certainly alive and still considered relevant by plenty of people. Doesn’t seem believable that there was any doubt about that.

5 Likes

Honestly I haven’t heard anything about him in years

1 Like

You would certainly have heard if he had died, though.

19 million followers on Twitter is a big following for someone not so much in the public eye.

1 Like

Jim Carrey’s alive. Feel free to start a new thread to discuss his life and times. Otherwise, let’s move on.

2 Likes
1 Like

Wasn’t Elon the one who announced that Apple was considering removing Twitter from their App Store? Seems like he was the one who created the whole controversy.

2 Likes

I’m pretty sure he did, Lol!

It will be interesting to see how he handles moderation in the future. At the moment he has not defined standards, but Twitter is still clearly suspending people.

Reportedly, Twitter has been banning accounts reported by Andy Ngo and his followers in a coordinated campaign. So, the question is the new standard the number of complaints about an account?

More concerning are the suspensions of accounts critical of China like @VickieDeTaiwan. China has decent financial leverage over Tesla, so will they use that leverage to silence opposition?

What’s clear is that Musk is not a free speech absolutist as he has claimed. He fires employees critical of him (not saying this wrong but it’s contrary to free speech absolutism), and Twitter continues to suspend accounts (a number of people critical of Musk or the proud boys have had their accounts suspended). So, what is the standard being used? What process is he following?

As I think I might have mentioned before, I’m a process conservative. Setting up processes in a vacuum (ie, come up with the process first, not backing your way into a process) helps produce more rational outcomes with less bias (can’t eliminate it, but you can incrementally get better). Like it or hate it, Twitter did have a process and standards that created some level or predictability, and allowed advertisers to feel safe associating their brand with the content on Twitter. That does not exist at the moment.

9 Likes

Interesting observation:

Twitter pre-Musk: far right complains about suspended accounts and being silenced.

Twitter post-Musk: far left complains about suspended accounts and being silenced.

But most people, pre and post Musk, take everything with a grain or two of salt.

5 Likes

Well, clearly accounts are still being suspended. So, the question is what standard is being applied?

The standard before was defined and the process published. What is it now?

2 Likes

That’s somewhat reductive. Prior to Musk, it’s more accurate to say that people posting hateful, violent, racist content and lies harmful to public health complain about suspended accounts. You can associate that description with either far right or far left if you like.

Post Musk, there have been many cancellations of accounts critical of him. Again, you can ascribe that to either far right or far left if you like.

9 Likes

So, prior to his takeover Musk said, "this isn’t a way to make money. My strong intuitive sense is that having a public platform that is maximally trusted and broadly inclusive is extremely important to the future of civilization. I don’t care about the economics at all.”

This is a statement I agree with (sort of
I’ll get to that later) , but his actions after that do not seem to line up with his stated goals. To have a platform maximally trusted, it shouldn’t be strongly associated with one person at all - Musk is a large personality, and he engages heavily in social media, being deliberately confrontational. So, now Twitter is heavily associated with Elon Musk the person, which he’s done deliberately, and he’s adopted a confrontational attitude that is predictably antagonistic to a large section of the population, that seems contrary to a goal of being “maximally trusted”.

In the past he’s talked about creating an open source moderation platform that would allow users to outsource their moderation to 3rd parties so that they only see legal speech that they approve of. Twitter will still have to conform with various countries’ speech laws and moderate unlawful speech, but everything else will be moderated by the user or 3rd party moderation sites. This might satisfy advertisers who can dictate which type of moderation algorithms are acceptable to their brand and only advertise that way
 And it could create a platform that is “maximally trusted”. However, I will disagree with the social utility of that kind of trust. This would reinforce information bubbles which are detrimental to a healthy society.

For example, if you curate your feed to only show certain “right wing” sources, you might start to believe the best way to minimize COVID is to go with ivermectin post infection instead of vaccination. Or if you curate your feed to only certain “left wing” sources, you might believe that the risk of COVID in children is greater than the damage caused by long periods of isolation and remote learning. And you’d never be challenged on those ideas or learn that raw data does not support those conclusions.

Basically it goes against the “ideal” of a public discourse where ideas can be challenged and discussed.

It’s a thorny issue, b/c it is challenging to come up with a process to effectively eliminate harmful ideas (ie how do you determine what is harmful and what types of speech promote that idea?). I don’t think that’s a reason not to try, but it would take an iterative process with some degree of openness about how it is determined.

Anyway, Musk hasn’t asked for my opinion, so it’s just idle speculation.

4 Likes

Musk announced yesterday that they plan to start conducting human trials for Neuralink in about 6 months. This news is all over twitter, of course.

All the actual neuroscientists: BAHAHAHHAHA LOL

1 Like

He who laughs last

Fascinating stuff.

1 Like

Very interesting and promising stuff if works

It won’t work–it won’t do any more than make some possible incremental engineering improvements to the tech that other people have already invented.

Sure, some of the engineering is cool. They’ve taken stuff other people have done (often decades ago) and made it smaller and a bit better. They haven’t done anything really novel.

But the claims they’re making are absolutely preposterous. Musk said “we’re confident it is possible to restore full body functionality to someone who has a severed spinal cord”. Uhhh, a brain implant can’t do that DUH.

He also said “Even if someone has never had vision ever, like they were born blind, we believe we can still restore vision”. I don’t expect anyone here to understand this, but that is impossible, for all intents and purposes. MAYBE some very crude edge detection and blob visualization would be possible, IF the implant was installed at a very young age, but that’s not what people think of when they hear “restore vision” to the blind.

The list of conditions he’s claimed can be treated by this is silly. He’s put an electrode array in the primary motor cortex and produced movement. That was done decades ago. The chasm between that and all the stuff he’s promising is just absolutely ridiculous and totally hand-wavey. Real neuroscientists know that he’s mostly full of BS.

10 Likes