Thoughts on Elon Musk buying a stake in Twitter?

Are you aware of the massively heightened racism on Twitter since the Musk (and Saudia Arabia et al’s) buyout of Twitter. Are you seriously suggesting that Twitter today is the same as it was before the buyout?

Check out the use of bots on Twitter as mentioned in the Politics Forum.

4 Likes

No, thanks. The “Politics Forum” is even more toxic than Twitter.

5 Likes

No problem.

Here’s what’s happening in Twitter (for example):

1 Like

And stuff like this too:

Elon’s really cracked down on all those bots he was complaining about, hasn’t he?

1 Like

My Twitter feed must be broken. No hate, no wild fake-news, no racism. Lots of updates on AI, chatgpt, conferences, any funny math memes like log identities using emojis.

What am I doing wrong? :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

7 Likes

Bots are nothing new, and the first line of the posted link even says that the pro-Trump bots were created over the last 11 months, of which the majority of that time Twitter was under pre-Musk rule.

And the other link talks about Musk expressing an opinion that some people disagree with. I don’t understand the outrage. Just another author with an elite pedigree grandstanding on race.

nice one, Elon. nice one. (sarcasm)

1 Like

“The Truth! You can’t handle the Truth!”

– COLONEL NATHAN R. JESSEP FROM A FEW GOOD MEN

See, these jokey responses just add nothing to the conversation. This quote doesn’t even make sense in this context; it’s just noise. What would the “truth” be, here, that couldn’t be handled?

• That Musk made fun of someone with muscular dystrophy? That’s pretty obviously true.
  • That he fired someone who was on an internal “do not fire” list, because breaking the contract would be too expensive for Twitter? Also, apparently, true.
  • That Musk decided it was a good idea to be a jerk to someone who won Iceland’s Person of the Year award, who is funding the building of 1,500 wheelchair ramps across Iceland, and who — when they had a financial windfall — structured their money so they could give away more of it to help people less fortunate than themselves? Also true.
  • That Musk would fire enough of his HR team that there wasn’t anybody available to handle an employee situation discreetly, instead airing it all publicly and making him look even more foolish? Seems to be true as well.

I just can’t get my head around why you — or anyone — would defend someone who’s just acting gross. And, fine, you want to lionize him for some unfathomable reason. Why wouldn’t you take his actions and actually defend them with a sound argument, rather than dropping an irrelevant quote from a movie? (A quote, by the way, attempting to justify the murder of a US servicemember?) It’s a tired rhetorical move. You can do better.

10 Likes

I’m good with my post. Musk is Musk. Some love him, some hate him, some (like me), consider things as they come. Lots of tech people getting payed off now. Nothing new.

I don’t get it either. What is the truth that can’t be handled here?

1 Like

All I wanted to add here is that Private Santiago was not murdered. Dawson and Downey were cleared of the murder charges. :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

Maybe he’s referring to the fact that Musk thinks Jan 6 was just a group of sightseers. Musk clearly can’t handle the truth.

4 Likes

It’s definitely weird to quote the guy that the movie shows to be, basically, a monster.

4 Likes

I don’t typically root for Meta/Facebook, but I hope they’re successful with this potential venture:

https://www.reuters.com/technology/meta-explores-decentralized-social-network-app-text-updates-2023-03-10/

3 Likes

I hope so, then some of the Musk haters attention will be diverted to Zuckerberg. After all there can only be just so much hate.

1 Like

No, hate is a renewable resource.

1 Like

Musk is a visionary, and Zuckerberg is not. It is hard to imagine Meta succeeding at something like this.

Musk’s “visions” mostly seem to be drug-induced at the moment. And between the two of them, only one has demonstrated success in building and managing a social media platform.

5 Likes