Thoughts on Elon Musk buying a stake in Twitter?

I can understand celebrities and public figures not wanting to pay for the check mark as they’re essentially an asset to Twitter. On other social media platforms, content creators with that many views and follower get paid, not vice versa.

However I admit to curiosity as to why governments and news agencies are reluctant to pay the 1k/month. It seems like they derive value from the platform and it’s not an unreasonable expense.

However it could totally be argued that they’re also content creators, and the frequent irrational hijinks with policy changes combined with Musk’s vociferous and vituperative denunciations of government and media, along with his very outspoken political leanings have made the platform toxic for that class of industry.

I think Musk himself is likely keeping media organizations from subscribing, and possibly some federal/state/local governments, which would otherwise be a rational no-brainer.

Legit not sure if satire or not.

It was released on April 1st. :wink:

3 Likes

However, if the check mark is not a reliable indicator of genuineness or some other desired characteristic to distinguish an account from others, paying for it becomes unattractive.

2 Likes

It’s a remarkable accomplishment when your actions make it difficult to convincingly satirize you.

3 Likes

Oh bless his heart and happy April Fools lol. We here in the Bay Area would sink the island before we let that happen! :joy:

Yeah, I was going for the metaphorical comparison. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Seems Musk is unhappy about being relentlessly mocked:

The Onion has become jarringly unfunny

Well, he’s not wrong

This doesn’t seem like a great way to keep companies using (let alone advertising on) Twitter:

2 Likes

Just my humble opinion, but he’s truly a doofus. I use his site far less now than I ever did.

5 Likes

Musk is from the Mafia school of attracting customers: “Nice user name you have there. Be a shame if anything happened to it.”

The previous president also hasn’t tweeted since being unbanned and I don’t see his user name up for grabs.

6 Likes

I imagine there are more candidates in line for an “NPR” handle compared to a “realDonaldTrump” handle.

Also, regarding the linked NPR article accusing Musk of threatening them, they have an obvious bias, but the author speaks as though he is a third party. They find a professor to label what Musk did as an “extraordinary threat”, and go on to say about Twitter’s removal of NPR’s government-funded label, “Musk has since removed the labels, but the outlets originally targeted have not resumed public activity on Twitter.”

If you think that would be the logic behind Musk reassigning one and not the other, I…well lol(sob)

3 Likes

Like “National Pumpkin Radio,” which is a quote directly from Musk from the article linked above?

I’d imagine there would be far higher demand for Trump’s Twitter account than NPR’s.

4 Likes

Elon’s just having some fun with the clown show at NPR.

I think between the two you’ve misidentified the clown show.

Ad Fontes Media rates NPR in the Middle category of bias and as Reliable, Analysis/Fact Reporting in terms of reliability. NPR (National Public Radio) is an independent, nonprofit media organization that reaches millions each week through its radio stations, website, social media, podcasts and other formats. NPR Bias and Reliability | Ad Fontes Media

4 Likes

Elon Musk calls working from home ‘morally wrong’
‘Get off the goddamn moral high horse with the work-from-home bulls**t’

1 Like

On the other hand, working from home might be the only option if you decide not to pay the rent on your company’s offices and your landlord throws you out:

https://twitter.com/rmac18/status/1659062173627473921?s=21

3 Likes