Thoughts on Elon Musk buying a stake in Twitter?

Depends on how skilled Zuck is. I know and have seen a 64-year old woman in a local BJJ school who regularly takes down much larger men.

Once taken down on the mat, which is where a lot of fights will end, someone skilled in BJJ can easily get their lesser-skilled (or no skilled) opponent to submit quickly. I’ve seen large men submit on the mat to a much smaller opponent.

Musk looks like a goofball to me. I have my doubts. But then again, I have my doubts about Zuck’s prowess as well. I’d pay to see it though.

2 Likes

We may not get to decide, but we can certainly express our opinion about it. And as we have seen, advertisers and valuable contributors can take notice and act accordingly. Your take seems to be sort of a of “love it or leave it” approach and those are not the only to available options.

I think you must understand why inaction regarding a hateful post repeatedly calling an African-American the N-word is infuriating. If not, then nothing I say will increase your understanding.

2 Likes

Except, that I would be so infuriated that I would not continue to subscribe to or follow such a blog/social media site. I would walk out immediately, never to return unless they got new ownership. That is the only message that the owner’s/investors would understand. (not that they’d care since they’ve already deemed the offensive post as within their ToS)

So despite your previous representation you do understand what is infuriating.

As for the rest, your preferred reaction doesn’t really dictate how others should react. Not sure why that is so hard for you to accept.

bluebayou, I got your drift the first time. With all due respect, enough already. If you are confused why seeing an account holder that I follow (nursing arena) repeatedly called the N word by a racist that could have and really should have been banned, but was defended by this new Twitter is infuriating, then you and I are as a far apart philosophically as can possibly be and can have nothing more to say to each other. Let’s move on.

4 Likes

I mean while I don’t condone the use of the word, it’s a free country and Twitter is a privately-owned company.

If Elon wants to run his site as he currently is, he has the right to do so.

People will continue to flee the site and so will advertisers if this is as big a problem as you’re describing. The problem will resolve itself.

At the moment, Elon is the wealthiest man on the planet with a net worth of $236 billion.

Whatever he’s doing, it seems to be working.

If by “working,” you mean losing an estimated $29 Billion on his Twitter investment.

https://www.cnn.com/2023/05/31/tech/twitter-value-fidelity-estimate

1 Like

Eh… turn arounds take time.

Twitter wasn’t profitable before the acquisition.

1 Like

Seems that the stuff that is working in terms of making money are some of his businesses other than Twitter.

2 Likes

sounds like a terrible place for a professional discussion (“nursing arena”). I would definitely move on from that venue.

True, but he overpaid for Twitter by about $19 Billion, according to Fortune. So, he has long to way to go just get back to the $25 Billion valuation before he purchased Twitter. It’ll take a lot more than profitability to get there.

It doesn’t take too many screw-ups in order to lose a fortune. We shall see.

1 Like

You sure aren’t condemning the use of the word either. And neither is Musk. That’s the point.

More generally, I’m fascinated by the defenses and apologies for Musk and the scumbag racists he emboldens. Apparently it is okay to be a bigot and to support bigots if you are rich. Says something about one’s values, I guess.

2 Likes

And Tesla had just as many doubters in the beginning.

That’s what entrepreneurs do - they challenge the status quo and sometimes it fails, sometimes they go on to be wildly successful.

You don’t get to be world’s richest man without taking risks.

@mtmind

I don’t know who or what used the word so I can’t comment.

But just don’t use the platform.

There is zero comparison between Tesla and Twitter. :laughing: Musk is great at drumming support up for disruptive technologies but he is not that great at rescuing floundering businesses (see Solar City).

4 Likes

The use was described above, and you already commented, repeatedly. It speaks volumes that you apparently believe the use of the word might be appropriate in any circumstances and that you defend Musk for allowing blatantly racist attacks on other posters.

This love it or leave it reasoning seems to be he go-to for the Musk apologists. As has been covered above, it is not the only available option.

1 Like

Yes, he did, including me. I’m curious to see where the company goes from here. Being a car enthusiast myself, I don’t think producing S’s, E’s, 3’s and Y’s for an eternity will excite the car buying public forever.

Will other car manufacturers eventually make a better performing and looking product. I think so.

And I’ll be very curious how the Cybertruck performs against the electric Ford F-150, once that gets off the ground.

Good times don’t always last forever.

2 Likes

This love it or leave it reasoning seems to be he go-to for the Musk apologists. As has been covered above, it is not the only available option.

It’s the exact same thing I say to people who complained about the liberal bias of social media companies. Either take it or leave it is what I said to those conservatives who complained about social media being biased against them.

It speaks volumes that you apparently believe the use of the word might be appropriate in any circumstances

I never said it was appropriate?

I was essentially politely implying that I wasn’t aware that someone had used the word so I wouldn’t comment on the lack of moderation.

All I said was take it or leave it. It’s his company and he can do what he wants with it.

If users feel the lack of moderation is egregious, they will quit the site and Twitter will continue to decline in value. This is the beauty of the free market.

By continuing to use a site, you’re endorsing that lack of moderation.

I can’t stand Twitter by the way. I don’t know why one would use it lol.

One doesn’t have to be an apologist to recognize the hard cold fact: his house, his rules.

Bingo! (just leave twitter behind)

1 Like

Leaving is not the only available option. But like above where you pretended you didn’t understand what was infuriating about Musk allowing someone to repeatedly call a black person the n-word, you likely already knew that.

2 Likes

Clearly you have no idea what you are talking about.

Twitter is NOT a terrible place for nursing engagement. News on nursing issues is disseminated, research studies and articles are linked, case studies are published, diagnostic exercises are linked to help medical professionals hone their critical thinking skills, news on nursing activism and legal and ethical issues is published and linked, etc. There are many great things that one can learn by following various nursing organizations, individual nurses and doctors, nurse attorneys, etc. that one could really not find anywhere else all in one particular place such is possible as on Twitter. Prior to Musk taking over, accounts that posted threats against HCW, as well as racist and misogynist rhetoric were immediately banned. This did not in ANY fashion squelch constructive dialogue.

If there were a comparable place to find this massive amount of professional related resources/information at a touch of a button, I’d go there. Lacking that, I’ll continue to express my opinion that Elon Musk, while he “can” allow racist and violent rhetoric on his platform, really SHOULDN’T.

I can continue to look to Twitter to find valuable information while also arguing against policies that allow not only racist rhetoric, but violent threats against HCW who do nothing but go to work every day to ease suffering.

10 Likes