Thoughts...Univ. Delaware vs Loyola, MD vs Trinity Univ. vs Berry College

I know these are vastly different colleges which is perhaps why my daughter is having a difficult time settling on one. She has many more applications still pending but these are 4 that she has heard back from and she really likes them all for different reasons. I can answer questions but I feel like I would write a novel explaining what she likes about each and is concerned about each. In general, Univ. of Delaware is a smaller flagship university that would enable her to have a more typical college experience without the overwhelming size of other state colleges. She likes the department she has been admitted to. Trinity, she likes the smaller more intimate LAC feel, really likes it is warm and does like the faith based ties but concerned that there are few OOS students so worries she won’t fit in. Loyola, MD likes its smaller, likes it is faith based, likes the vibrant area of Baltimore and the relationship with other colleges and possibility for medical internships. Likes the program she has been admitted too. Like Delaware she isn’t sure she wants to be that far North. Berry College she likes its smaller, likes its faith based, likes the unique parts about the education (work & the farm), really worried that she will be bored because it is so remote yet really likes the mountain setting. Like Trinity there are few OOS students so worried everyone will go home on weekends or she won’t fit in. Overall, she is drawn to these schools because the students seem happy and the academics seem balanced yet the schools seem academically focused. Initially when applying she wanted a small, academic, non-partying school
 now
she’s starting to worry that she will end up at a school with not a lot going on other than academics. Unfortunately we likely will not be able to visit. Has anyone had any particularly wonderful or unhappy experiences with these colleges?

1 Like

What is she interested in studying?

1 Like

She likes the sciences & math thinks possibility medical school without a specific undergrad pre-med track but knows there are many science careers that she may like that she is unaware about.

2 Likes

Among the 3 smaller colleges, Trinity seems to offer the broadest range of STEM options. For a student with a general interest in STEM but is not yet focused on one area, this would seem to be a plus. Delaware is of course a whole different beast. It too has a lot of options but without the more personalized instruction of a small college. Another positive for Trinity is it’s relatively low (9:1) student:faculty ratio. The other three are all higher at about 12:1.

I know students who have attended both Delaware and Loyola. In both cases the students had positive experiences and loved their schools. One of the students I know was in the Honors Program at Delaware and that contributed to his positive experience there. It is one of the more attainable honors programs at a state flagship. I do not know any students who attended Berry or Trinity.

My S19 looked very seriously at Trinity University, and your comment that there are few OOS students surprised me, as I remember looking into that. I just checked their Common Data Set for 2021-2020 (most recent I found), and the CDS states that, for the 2020 incoming class, 83% were from out-of-state. So that might not be something she needs to worry about. We really liked the school and visited twice, the second time on an admitted students day. If your daughter is able to join one of those events, it might help her get a better sense of the student body, current and prospective.

I think Berry is far more ‘faith’ oriented than a Trinity per se.

There is nothing to do in Rome Ga. Don’t know if people leave on weekends but there’s nothing to do. Trinity, being in San Antonio 
gonna have lots.

Hear good things about Loyola and only great things about UDEL. To me, it’s the easiest take it or leave it if the bunch because of its size and sports etc etc.

I know Trinity has strong merit. A poster last year got like 75% tuition but was an amazing student.

Any chance you’ll get out to thek b4 May ? Two are close to one another.

Has she looked at Belmont or Lipscomb
faith and city?

1 Like

Wow, that is different than what we have found. Just double checking you are referencing Trinity University in TX not Trinity College in CT?

1 Like

Thanks for your input. She hasn’t looked at Belmont or Lipscomb
We can look into them but I feel its getting pretty late. She has a few others like UDel she’s waiting on so we will see. Her cousins go to UDel so it would be nice. We live in Europe so I’m not sure if we will make it back but we may have to try.

She is still waiting on the Honors part, so we will see. She’s been at very small HS’s so far (graduating class under 50) so although UDel is on the smaller side of state schools it still feels big. I can see she is starting to like the idea of a bigger school but is nervous of how it will really feel on a day to day basis and with the relationship with teachers, etc.

My apologies, you are right - I was looking for Trinity University but I opened the Trinity College CDS. The number for Trinity University was 21% out-of-state for the class entering in the fall of 2021. We liked the overall diversity of the school, and the overall atmosphere of San Antonio.

1 Like

My 21 year old is a UDel honors graduate, she loved everything about it, so much to do. She was an exercise science major and got into every dpt program she applied to (is at Boston university with merit). We live 2 hours away, I think her college was the favorite to visit with her friend group. She initially wanted smaller, but visited a few times and it seemed smaller each time, she was able to walk to campus even when she was off campus, and never once used a shuttle.

2 Likes

When looking at in-state numbers for Trinity, keep in mind how big Texas is compared to other parts of the United States. Look at one of those maps that superimposes Texas over other parts of the country and decide if you’d have a problem if a school had 80% students from those states. I’m being serious - it really seems like people in other states forget how huge Texas really is. And a students from Houston, Dallas, Austin, San Antonio, El Paso, Amarillo, Beaumont, or Odessa will all have very different life experiences.

2 Likes

We found Berry to be very local and my daughter, we’re from the PNW, decided not to apply. Our tour guide told us that many people go home on weekends but he only goes home “once or twice a month” which he seemed to feel wasn’t often. I went home once or twice a year in college!

My daughter did apply to Trinity University and I love it. It’s still in the running but I think she may wind up at Butler or Hope College in MI due to cost and the program she’s looking for. Have you looked at Hope? I know it’s late but if your daughter likes faith-based it might be a nice option for her as well.

1 Like

My cousin’s son loved it at UDel. I mentioned above that their student:teacher ratio is 12:1. While that’s bigger than Trinity and means some big lecture halls (Trinity has none of those), 12:1 is really low for a state university. So the classes aren’t as big as they might be at other state schools, which means a whole different climate.

Re: being so much further north

The weather at UDel is really not that much different than in Baltimore. It might get warmer in the summer at Loyola MD, but really, the rest of the year isn’t that much different in these two places.

Our S20 was facing a similar decision. He really liked a Pitt but, as a 17-year-old senior from a medium-sized high school, felt it was too big and maybe too urban. He chose a smaller suburban LAC and ended up transferring to a bigger, more urban national university as a junior. I remember the advice we received from our veteran college counselor at the time.

She said our son would find the smaller LAC an easier and more comfortable transition but by the time he’s a second-semester sophomore, he will probably wish he picked Pitt, and she was right. Also, our son liked the idea of smaller class sizes and getting to know his professors. However, he said his best and favorite class by far was a 150-seat lecture hall at the national university he transferred to.

I realize every kid is different, but from our experience, I would recommend Delaware. It’s big but not too big, and it has so much to offer you never outgrow it. Also, if she wants to change direction in her studies, it would be hard to find a major Deleware doesn’t offer.

1 Like

I keep having to double check my searches too to see if I have the right Trinity
Univ. vs College vs Dublin (which ironically is the only one we have visited). But, when looking at the make up of the student body it seems diverse in other ways which having lived all over is important to her. It’s good to hear that you noticed diversity on your visit. I’m curious what factors made your son pick a different college. And, this isn’t a main concern but is it a pretty campus? Thank you for sharing.

1 Like

That is really good to hear. Thank you for sharing. I had never heard about the exercise science major until recently but it sounds very interesting. Congratulations on your daughter’s accomplishments with graduate school!

3 Likes

That is a really good observation! I had not considered how far away in state in TX can be
 and how varied life experiences can be as well. We have lived all over and I know although she wants a small school in theory but she really will go crazy if the views of the population are not diverse. Thank you so much for sharing!

Goodness, I have been trying to tell her that as well! We may just have to visit for her to understand.

2 Likes