Thread for BS/MD BS/DO 2021-2022

@bsmdmom
IMO, If your S has plans to major in STEM, then AP Calculus is recommended in high school. AP Statistics is a better option for Commerce, Business, and Finance majors in general. You can choose both if you want to major in Math and Statistics. From a college credits perspective, you may look few colleges (those you are planning to apply for) AP credit table/chart to check the college credits they issue for AP Calculus AB/BC and AP Statistics. For example, here is the Stony Brook AP Placement Credit table. In which AP Calculus is given 8 college credits vs 3 for AP Statistics. The equivalent colleges courses are also different in this case, which you can see in the same table.
BSMD programs often recommend, in order to be a strong candidate, take four years of math (with calculus). I have seen this for BU SMED and Hofstra. You need to research BSMD program (the ones you are interested to apply) requirements to confirm this.

My DC did all AP Calculus AB, BC and AP Statistics. Good luck.
https://www.stonybrook.edu/sb/bulletin/current/policiesandregulations/admissions/apcredit.php

Honors college. We got an email from Rutgers saying you have an offer from honors at Rutgers and to Chem portal. We checked under the heading of honors offer and it tells you which honors college you got admitted to. For example, we applied to 2 colleges and got accepted to both honors college.
A student can be accepted to honors program or honors college.

1 Like

As others (@Vicky2019, @Rali_Jan, and @cheer2021 ) have pointed out, it does not matter which AP you select.

AP Stats will introduce him to statistical concepts which will help him if he plans to do computational biology or bioinformatics research/projects.

2 Likes

Is this for Rutgers-Nwk? All I see, in my honors portal is a status of Under Review for Honors College. Were you forwarded to NJMS via Rutgers?

Thank you for your replies @NoviceDad @Vicky2019, @Rali_Jan, @cheer2021,

It’s not a question of college credits. He can only take one of the two calc bc or stats with his schedule. It’s mostly a question of if one is better than the other in eyes of bs md admissions and if he would be at a disadvantage for not finishing BC in high school. But clearly you do not think it matters that much which he takes. So I will let him know that.

1 Like

same for me… “Under Review”

This is not Rutgers/NJMS. Just honors colleges of Rutgers NB campus.

Ok gotcha. Thanks!

1 Like

Somebody had asked about the PMM Facebook group earlier. Everyone should have received the email from the coordinator.

1 Like

FYI -
Brown/ PLME RD decisions to be out on Ivy Day - March 31 at 7 pm EST.

4 Likes

Anyone get decisions from stony brook honors program? Some friends got accepted but I didn’t receive an acceptance or rejection message. My friend in SBU BSMD said that all the people in that program are in one of the honors programs so wanted to know if anyone else heard back

anyone from feb interview batch hear back from suny upstate?

Does anyone know when Augusta BSMD will come out?

no interviews?

Or they already sent it out?

Yes from Honors College.

Brown / PLME does not have any interviews.

1 Like

@NoviceDad Do SUNY upstate results for Feb interviews all get released on one day? If so, does it mean I was rejected if I didn’t receive a call yesterday?

Yes from honors college

Sorry it might be repeated question but just checking for update, did anyone got interview with ROWAN BS/MD out application updated for Rowans Honor college but nothing on interview

Usually, Ms. Ripa calls over 2-3 days.

1 Like