***Thread for BS/MD/DO 2022-2023***

Umm. That sounds highly unethical

2 Likes

Yes, they were sent to students today.

1 Like

Is it safe to assume a rejection then if we did not receive any email from Brooklyn?

You should receive an explicit accpetance or rejection.
If you have not received anything, it means you will have to wait till you hear from them.

2 Likes

Well articulated …
It should always be “individual choice” … nothing is better than other i.e. BSMD or Traditional. Every now and then we have heated debate on this LOL :slight_smile:

In my mind , if a kid (like my D) knows they want it based on(location, environment and everything) then go for it… (It’s like getting into the pro-sports world, if that’s your dream and a team selects you…and you like everything… why wait).

100% correct on the point about the “certainty of admission” , that is the allure (and less stress) .

Remember 95%+ comes traditional way so folks still have chance to accomplish.

Good luck all

3 Likes

Really? You can do better lol. All I heard is don’t want any uncertainty so will go for anything. No risk strategy pushed by scared parents.only in NBA you can go from High School and there are only couple of champions :relaxed: most BSMD programs are not champion caliber

1 Like

Go to Student Doctor Network. Search for the med school. People who interviewed left what they recalled as being asked.

1 Like

Many schools have explicit instructions not to share.
But general question banks are available in many forums - books; YouTube; SDN etc.
It is the not questions, that one should be worried about. It is how to answer them with personal narrative. With all the preparation, the interviewer may surprise you with a followup from your answers. You should be ready ready with it. Prepare and practice not to give boiler plate responses.

2 Likes

For those who are not natural at impromptu, it’s a good idea to do mock interviews using the basic, questions you can find on Google, SDN, etc. There are even MMI samples. Just “google” the keywords. I agree that it’s not the questions because a lot of these questions are generally similar, just different variations. What sets you apart is your personal twist, your own experience. Other than the basic questions like “tell me about yourself,” “why you want to go into medicine,” " why you want to go to our med school," be ready to discuss anything you have on your CV and more. An interviewer saw that my son had done a lot of cultural dancing in his clubs, while asking my son if he had something to teach him in a couple of minutes, ruled out dancing. Thank God, my son has other interests. So, he gave a spill on skin care routines lol. I said this to say you can rehearse as much as you want, there’re always the unexpected. Here is where the relaxation would help you clear your mind of worries that keep you from not able to come up with an out-of-the-box answer.
There’s one more thing I want to say about Casper (more and more med schools require Casper) and MMI. The overarching theme that they’re looking for are the chracteristics they want in a physician. Are you a good listener? Are you a team player? Are you a leader? Can you think and act ethically? Do you put your patients’ interest first? So on and so forth. Depending on your answers, they rate you on a scale. Maturity and life experience affect your answers. As long as you don’t exhibit the characteristics of a psychopath, you probably won’t be eliminated based on the Casper evaluation.

2 Likes

:+1: Yeah, you did good. Accepting and commiting to RIT/SUNY means ethically you can’t accepted admission to other programs.

Hope you twin sister gets into Stony Brook BA/MD program!

2 Likes

@Babs1 -

Like akpman said you need to prepare your answers really well based on hypothetical questions that either you or your parent or friend or guide can come up with based on your ECs or health care experience -

1. Tell me about yourself?
  2. what did you learn from a XYZ experience (mentioned in your application/resume?
  3. tell me about the most difficult situation that you faced? And how did you solve this?
  4. give examples of patient facing experience you had?
  5. Also, they may ask scenario based questions and ask you how you would deal with some difficulty - example -
  • how would you deal with a difficult patient?
  • Did any patient die on your watch? if so, how you reacted? Who did you contact?
  • they may ask you if you maintained privacy of patient information with members outside of hospital (parents, friends, relatives) etc. You are bound by HIPAA
  • Also, you can expect ethics related questions

Note: I am a parent and have not attended any BSMD interview. No one has shared their interview questions with me. I am purely using my experience/guess work to come up with above

1 Like

Question for those who have volunteered at a hospital while in high school - Did you need to sign any forms and undergo training that told you to keep patient information confidential?

Yes, my son had to sign some forms and had to take initial training. He also need to do additional training every quarter.

2 Likes

Yes. Hospital volunteer committee ask the kids to read those documents and sign. This is very common practice.

4 Likes

They would usually go through entire HIPAA training

3 Likes

Congratulations

(Deleted as it is not worth)

1 Like

I don’t hate BSMD and I do recommend BSMD sometimes (based on their strengths/weaknesses).

The reason I keep coming back is to refute fearmongers and biased consultants.

Do you really think Ivy League caliber students like schools which currently have BSMD programs?

Also, I only questions parents arguments here about uncertainties and risk and not question kids calibers. My argument always is, most BSMD kids are very smart and they can do better but I guess you and other parents don’t see that way and wants to push them to BSMD at any cost!

BSMD programs were started for different reasons and lot of top programs closed them for a reason, so your 50 year theory has no standing.

I never boasted about my kid’s foreign trips or anything else about my kid. The foreign trips were possible because there is no need to take summer classes like some seven year programs require. Unlike the Boston dad or some other BSMD parents I never said my kid got 100 percentile MCAT with no preparation or got As easily. I don’t need to boast about my kid on anonymous forms😀 I documented his journey in another thread I created to help others.

I only respond when I think there are absurd claims about why one should chose BSMD only to help parents who are on the fence like us 6 years back. So many people reach out to me on IMs as well. So I am not the one with prejudice and no reason to go personal!

1 Like

You are doing it again… You can have the last word (Wish there is a mute or filter button)

I guess your problem is with consultants…

It’s capitalism… if someone wants to pay for their service… it’s their choice… if u hv problem …just name them and tell parents beware of their posts. (I know only 2 here) .

God again… read results post i did on my D. … where did u see pushing my kid or anyone… I always stated Zillion time… it’s kids choice… they’re the one who’s studying and need to be happy (don’t assume or generalize).

Here you go… why are you assuming that BSMD students are NOT Ivy League caliber… My D got into IVY too… (Yale,Cornell)… I’m sure many kids would have gotten much better. If this is NOT prejudice by you then I don’t know what’s the meaning of Prejudice

Check all the BSMD programs offered by … majority of the colleges from AMC to others are there for more than 50+ years…so they have been sending students for 50+ years ( Yeah i know BSMD program is not there for 50 years… but u said these colleges are NOT championship caliber)… when someone is successful like Yankees/Lakers… they must be doing something right.

Where do u see absurd claims on BSMD … i said 95% chose traditional… and as far as uncertainty … it sure exists… and again individual choice…

Enough man… not worth wasting mine/yours/others …
Good luck

1 Like

You could always ignore posts from certain members but you chose to reply :relaxed:

Again, you are reading it wrong! I said most kids who got BAMD are Ivy League caliber ie probably have one or more Ivy League admissions (like your D) and hence no need to give up that. Most of them pick BSMD based on the stories they here from parents😀 I always tell people if you went thru competitive HS and got Ivy admissions based on that then it’s worth taking the risk. If you got Ivy more based on social service or easier HS grades then you may struggle.

I have no issues with people consulting but have issue with giving advice to promote their business, that’s conflict of interest.

I stand by comment on difference between BSMD schools and T20 medical schools. It doesn’t mean that some at these schools shine but a tough task. That’s a risk you are taking. Getting residencies is easier from T20 schools than rest.

Again, I have no issue with you or anyone personally but I will make my counter arguments when I disagree with anyone’s posts.

1 Like