***Thread for BS/MD/DO 2022-2023***

My original post mentioned BSMD admissions for:

(1) Seton Hall Joint MD
(2) University of Toledo BACC2MD
(3) SLU Scholar of Medicine

All of these 3 programs are scary for me as I mentioned these are not TRUE BSMD, hence the dilemma. UNC, UCSD, UW, Clemson are regular UG (non BSMD) admissions…

What makes Toledo not true BSMD? I am trying to understand the nuance.

Here is the statistics for the U of Toledo freshman class of 2018:

They gave the rationales for the people who did not get an interview. Seems reasonable. Out of those who interviewed, 42% get accepted to their med school. I’m assuming that the interview is to confirm that the students fit to matriculate (character, ethical standard, etc)

The fact that they waive the MCAT in exchange for the student’s allegiance, I think they are serious about getting as many candidates who went through this pathway admitted to their SOM.

The requirements for getting an interview don’t seem too execessive.

If I were to choose this program, I would consider studying for the MCAT and keeping my GPA in tip-top shape in case I fail the fall interview for some ridiculous reasons (if I feel that I possess chracteristics desired in a physician, check all boxes for a traditional applicant to any med school), I would still be able to apply through the traditional route in the spring.

3 Likes

The average SAT score over the past 3 years for Brown PLME is 1512 so I am not sure why people are recommending that kids with 1550+ retake the SAT to get a higher score. That time would be better spent on other parts of the application. Brown does not look at two applicants and choose one over the other because one has a 1560 and the other has a 1520.

1 Like

If you are looking for comparing traditional route pre-med programs, evaluate how the undergrad will help in giving your daughter experiences that will strengthen her medical application process.
Ask specific questions on EC opportunities, gap year stats, obtain data on % of applicants who get accepted, and understand where your daughter will at home.

Hope this helps.

1 Like

Seton Hall is well-known in the Northeast. It’s a private college that has the resources to help your child succeed. They give very good scholarship for undergrad and is among the very few to give merit for med school. There’s already 100M endowment for the med school merit scholarship. Even though Seton Hall Joint MD program is not a pure BSMD program in the sense that they only guarantee an interview, 25% of the MD seats are reserved for qualified Seton Hall students. I am thinking that unless you fail the interview miserably, like exhibiting psychopathic/sociopathic chracteristics or behaving terribly immaturely, you’ll get a seat at their med school.

They seem to give a lot of well worth info on their FAQ page:
https://www.shu.edu/undergraduate-admissions/faq-4-3-program.cfm

1 Like

We are from California. My son got admissions to all UCs, except for waiting on UCBerkley and UC Santa Barbara.

Can you elaborate your statement - I wouldn’t recommend Californians to attend premed in California.

My son wants to stay in state except for BS MD. Waiting to hear from Hofstra and faint prayer on Brown PLME.

Instead of asking universities that are marketing machines, are there any other sources to gather the stats you mentioned in your post.

Hello Everyone,

Did anyone hear back from AMC, Drexel and NJMS final decision yet? Does anyone know the change to get off BSDO wait list from Nova?
What % of BSMD students from those schools got to medical school?

Thank you.

1 Like

still waiting to hear back from drexel

Berkeley and UCLA are notorious for grading. So getting 3.8+ GPA and doing research, clinical and non clinical volunteering without a gap year is very tough. If you want to stay instate look at Davis. After UCB, UCLA and UCSD it’s a good school for premed.

3 Likes

There are younger people listed on Stanford GI faculty who went to Berkeley and ended up at St George’s for medicine. Was very surprised to see them interviewing fellowship candidates. The only reason I can think for ending up offshore is Berkeley grades.

1 Like

The origin of any admission stats is the university.
Any entity, including magazines like US News, gets their info from what universities share.

In my case, I try to obtain as much information - published as well as first-hand experiences - as I can get.

Thanks for the insight. My D got accepted to UCLA which is her top choice for premed but I think she’ll end up going to Penn State PMM.

3 Likes

My D got into PMM as well can we connect offline?

1 Like

Yeah sure, I’ll PM you my number

Between Penn PMM and UCLA I Will actually pick PMM. As I said before I am not totally against BSMD. It all comes down to what you’ve in hand.

3 Likes

We have somewhat similar situation

My D got into Georgetown , Notredame and John’s Hopkins , UNC ( all pre med) but then she got into REMS BS MD ( university of Rochester also ) and FAU BS-MD while waiting for a few more BS-MD results to come out

Think she is well committed to BS-MD ( she loved REMS interview day experience ) while waiting for some Ivy decisions also - think it is a bit of prestige issue at play .

Wanted to get some thoughts from the group .

REMS may be good choice where they allow you apply outside without losing seat and also allows gap year with guaranteed seat.

1 Like

I am slightly coaching her not to get smitten by rankings only and think more broadly if she wants to be a doctor and has her heart set on it ( which she says she has ) than she shouldn’t worry that the undergrad for REMS is not a T 10/ 20 school.

To the Best on my limited research REMS seems like is a Top 5 BS-MD program .