***Thread for BS/MD/DO 2022-2023***

Did anyone receive any sort of confirmation after submitting the LIM application? I did not receive anything from Albany Med saying my application had been submitted.

Same here, no confirmation email or anything from AMC

Why do you think they would ask for this if there is no way for them to verify it?

does anyone know if njit interviews are still being sent out?

i applied on oct. 22. I looked on last years thread and someone who applied on oct.26 got an njit adhc interview invite on nov.18
 should I just assume i have gotten rejected :(.

1 Like

For those who got rejected or accepted to PMM when did you guys apply?

heard they are sending them on dec 1 according to someone off reditt who contacted them

1 Like

@Rali_Jan

Thanks for summing up nicely despite other compelling diversions and roles. Myself haven’t noticed your post in a while with what all going on.

Wanted to point another variable in the matrix, point number 7 if you may.

Competition from an applicant’s own school or sometimes region even. Couple of years back a parent on this forum would lament with me over private messaging as to how their child with a 4.0/1580 wouldn’t get interviews anywhere -finally did manage to get interview and acceptance though, at the end of the cycle after giving up all their hopes. The reason seemingly, the likely valedictorian of their high school with even more accomplishments like research etc applied to all the programs / feeders as their child.

During our own motion through this process few cycles ago, though none of the top most students of child’s high school were not interested in medicine or we’re not aware of these programs and so luckily ended up as blockers, the following year both the valedictorian and salutatorians went for BS/MD programs. So one can never be sure of what the competition pool is year over year especially from one’s own backyard.

So the outcomes shouldn’t be taken personally and alternate plans and programs should be considered well in advance. Many times a state public college may be an excellent option if medicine is ultimate destination. And finally patience is very important, who knows something may click at the very last moment as was the case with the student mentioned above.

3 Likes

It is not just competition from higher stat person but also a person who did focused activities that are medicine relevant who can beat out even valedictorians from the same school (there can also be some bias for physicians’ children).

My D got into Stanford, MIT, Caltech/UCSD BS/MD, Columbia etc but didn’t get any interviews from NW HPME or WUSTL because another person with physician parents with lower grades/SAT/SAT II worked only on these activities, raised money to donate for health causes by giving dance performances, had access to research activities to be able to add to the resume and so on. This person got into both HPME and WUSTL, the highest ranked combined programs a decade ago.

1 Like

I think people with family ties to physicians are the norm among those who got accepted to the combined programs. I don’t think these programs favor physicians’ children. However, they do look for the kinds of medically-related activities that mainly physicians have access to. All of those in my kid’s B2B cohort are physicians’ kids (some with both doc parents), except for my kid. What he got going for him are the uber number of volunteer hours he had with TX Children. We had to be very creative with my kids activities. They got shadowing hours with our own physicians (we had to ask and had good luck with some but not others) and at places they volunteered. The VA was the most generous with shadowing. Neither had much luck with medical research. My D did research with a local university that mainly introduced basic STEM methods to the underrepresented. My S’s research was his IB project for the extended essay.

My S’s professors (who are physicians) express their opinions openly about how much they dislike the combined programs because the provisional acceptance to med school with a set of low bar requirements gives a lot of students a sense of relief and they tend to not work as hard as those who apply to med school the traditional route. His school prehealth office encourages their BS-MD students to keep up with STEM rigor to prepare for med school.

@junebug20
If I am not wrong, your S’s professors (who are physicians) probably came through the traditional route and wanted everyone to come over through that queueing system. IMO, your S’s professors were missing the point that these BS/MD programs were offered only by a handful number of institutions primarily targeted to offer somewhat easy UG matriculation requirements so the students in the program can enjoy the UG experience while fulfilling program-related other reqs. These programs were designed to prevent UG burnout first in the place. Many programs kick out students from the program if their semester GPA falls below a certain threshold or their grade drops below a certain grade level for example “C”. I came across many reliable podcasts on youtube sharing accepted students’ experiences through the traditional path with "D’ and “F” grades in some of the UG courses. Some BS/MD programs have raised the bar for GPA and MCAT so high that students committing to that particular program think they can access the wider pool if they go through the traditional path having those stats.
I am surprised how your S’s professors have been sleeping peacefully at night because I am sure some of their colleagues might have come from Carrenian Schools or even from international medical schools. Not that everyone from this pool comes with low bar reqs, but some at least.
On a side note including Asia, many other countries such as the Philippines, Georgia, Ukraine, Armenia, Russia, China, Kyrgyzstan, and Kazakhstan allow HS students to get straight into medical school. So, it’s not in the US HS students get into guaranteed/accelerated medical school by the way.
Irrespective of whether someone came through low or high bar reqs in the UG, the students need to excel in medical school and in the USMLE and clear the board exams before they practice as physicians.

2 Likes

Not only the above mentioned countries but even in UK at Oxford and Cambridge students can opt to be physicians right out of high schools.To repeat myself, C sat for an international level test for high schoolers for admission to their med schools (6 yrs @ Oxford). Of course very difficult to get in for internationals with just a handful seats allocated, but someone from their high school did get in few batches prior.

1 Like

No - they do it in waves.

1 Like

I am not sure if I fully understand your question.

1 Like

I have had a situation where one of my students, whose parents are physicians, was told they were privileged and rejected in the interview. It was one of the most hostile interviews that any of my students had encountered.

@DrakoDrake
At some point, your BSMD program/college needs students to send out official SAT/ACT scores from College Board. Your BSMD program/college can verify what they want to verify from that electronic feed.

Likewise, reminded of this parent’s complaining few cycles back (not sure if physician) about how their child got rejected by half a dozen or so BS/MDs called in for interviews for but was selected at Yale, Columbia etc for undergrad. Apparently the student had perfect gpa (4.8 weighted or something), and all test scores, president of clubs/leadership while also being “first author” on few research publications.

Feel the BS/MD programs had every right to doubt the validity of the claim and raised their eye brows or rolled their eyes. They may have suspected connections or favoritism at places like NIH to facilitate such a towering claim. In fact wonder why the Ivies had no issue with a high school student being first author in all those pubs.

PSU? We were talking about the UC connections program, so I’m a bit confused by what you mean

Gullibility? or an inflated ego to feel that their schools are entitled to receive admission applications from only the creme-de-la-creme? lol

The ivies value connections as they think that those students will be successful irrespective of their actual talents. They also take highly connected students in other fields – celebrity kids, lawyer kids, politicians kids or sporstspersons/athletes (now this group does have talent lol) etc.
I have known a few physician kids who went to ivies (yale and columbia) either change their field or could not get admission into med school later as their performance was way lower in comparison to their peer group.
BSMD admissions give a lot of weightage to academic scorings also along with other ECs.

2 Likes