***Thread for BS/MD/DO 2022-2023***

Sorry, I don’t know.

1 Like

@junebug20 may have a better listing of costs but I think it is probably more now.

Per term locked in cost of tuition is 28k for 2022 which means it will be higher for 2023. So per semester you are spending close to 30k and so 30k covers one semester of tuition alone. 20k room and board and I dont believe this includes normal expenses listed by most schools for personal stuff of about 3-5k. COA in a new york school easily runs about 90k when you factor in NY costs.

@Texaspg and @junebug20, I understand the calculation but we’re only paying 35K/year (around 16K per semester COA not just tuition) after the scholarship and federal loan ($5500, $6500 etc). I know the tuition is 26K but with the scholarship, it comes to around $16K/semester.

2 Likes

Isn’t federal loan need to be repaid? What about other costs like travel and sundries?

What exactly is your tuition? I see numbers of 53k last year but the fixed number for 4 years says 28k per semester for 2022. They go up each year and so 2023 it will be 29k-30k.

If you are paying 16k per semester and room and board is 10k per semester, you are only covering 6k out of whatever the total tuition seems to be.

How is APME working out for you?

How are they able to finish in 3 years.

1. Is it because they are able transfer from HS
    or
  2. They are able load more courses ?

I think it’s 26k. As I said, $16k includes everything tuition, room and all other costs that we pay after federal subsidized loan of $5500 etc. This just doesn’t include personal expenses if any like travel etc.

2 Likes

@akpman , Yes most of the students starts with 60-70 credits so they can finish in 3 years. They do not give any credit for core science courses but the science AP credits are distributed to other core science graduation requirements. So most of the students hardly end up taking only 2-3 core requirement courses and they only focus on their major requirements if any and medical school requirements.

1 Like

@junebug20 , as I said, don’t ask anything now. Just wait for acceptance then talk to FA. They may reconsider it.

1 Like

My daughter had an interview with VCU on Friday and received an email today morning that she has been assigned a GMED ambassador to learn more about the program. Does that mean she got into the program? We didn’t receive any email stating she got into the program.

2 Likes

I thin they have an ambassador like a senior or some in the program and they give you more details about the program if your daughter has any questions, before they announce the final results.

1 Like

No. This is for your daughter to communicate with the ambassador if she wants to and ask anything about the college the program etc

You will get the decision sometime in March

1 Like

I dont believe junebug20 has anyone applying. Their experience is with a child who is already in BS/MD from a couple of years ago.

2 Likes

@mygrad2021 - @texaspg is on point about NY cost of living. One look at the COA with the merit offered to us, we figured that it will be a high cost school. We also looked at the cost of their med school too. Even though we’re risk-aversed (applying to BSMD programs), we are on a budget. Glad he didn’t move to the interview phase. Otherwise, the cost of going to an interview would not have had a good ROI lol.

BSMD at Hofstra is great if you have a large budget or if you get a lot of financial aid to offset the high COA. Not sure if their med school has financial aid or just loans. A lot of people would say just get an offer then figure out the rest. Since we had gone through similar activities with my daughter a few years before, we has a spreadsheet ready to go with general budget items for each program when the decisions for the undergrad portion of the programs came in.

Based on the bottom line ballpark costs, my son decided against applying to a few other programs (where the deadlines were later) where he was already acepted to the undergrad. OU was one of them. He would have considered it had he got the National Merit scholarship. NM scholarship was great because it’s 5 years and came with a OOS waiver->you get in-state tuition rates.OU BSMD also allows you to graduate early->you can apply the remaining of the scholarship to med school. I don’t know if they still have this policy.

1 Like

Has anyone heard back from Sophie Davis? Does anyone know when interview invites will be sent out? Last year they were sent on February 4th.

Also… I’ve heard that people received interview invites from Cincinnati Connections and Hofstra’s 4+4. If I haven’t heard back from them, then do I just assume a rejection?

Thanks!

any former students or parents who can add their views about Drexel BSMD program vs traditional pre-med track?

What kind of comparison are you looking for - BS followed by MD at Drexel or BS and MD anywhere else compared BS/MD combined at Drexel?

I do think it is lot harder to get into MD at Drexel after a BS since over 10000 people apply.

Well, the whole reason for BSMD was to avoid MCAT. But looks like Drexel BSMD can guarantee a seat if you maintained the required GPA and MCAT score. So wondering, how would this be any different from doing a traditional pre-med (where we require MCAT and good GPA). Except, you don’t have to apply for medical schools again if you clear the interview (Drexel).

Hi @NoviceDad, good to hear from you! APME has been great, has both pros and cons but am overall very grateful for the seat. I just sent you an email regarding details from my university email address.

1 Like

Just curious, what are Drexel’s required GPA & MCAT? Most BSMD programs just want to make sure that their students don’t perform at the lowest end of the spectrum before entering med school and fail miserably there, therefore have those requirements to filter them out. Their requirements are relatively low compared to the traditional admits from the same class. The only one program that had eye-popping high GPA and MCAT requirements that I’ve heard of was Wash U, but the school had scrapped their BSMD program. There’s another program that has a 3.75 min GPA requirements that I know of is Pitt, but Pitt doesn’t require an MCAT score. So, overall, for high achievers who can swing BSMD admission right out from high school, generally speaking, they won’t face that big of a challenge matriculating med school compared to their traditional applicant counterparts.

1 Like