Thread for BSMD 2020-2021 Applicants (Part 1)

Recently, U Rochester price break is minimal for those who don’t have financial need based of their CSS Profile. Usually about 10K for merit.

You could actually create a CommonApp account and look for yourself to see which schools require undergrad writing supplements. The BSMD writing supplement is usually about why medicine and why that particular program. So if you could take notes of each program and be able to tell people why one fits you and and how you can contribute to it, you’re on your way to create a BSMD writing supplement for a program.

UAB has not been very successful with retaining their OOS candidates because they don’t have price breaks for OOS for the MD leg. During my daughter’s year, 1/3 seats were offered to OOS but only a small number accepted because the cost would be around 60K for tuition & fees. We liked UAB program very much because it’s well coordinated and it allows you to apply out without having to give up your seat, but we had a better economic offer. Another thing I like to point out: UAB seems to lean toward females because females are underrepresented in med. So, if you’re a female n-state to UAB and you have a strong application, your chance of making it to the interview is great. UAB used the MMI interview format in 2017 with some team-work sessions.

@ksmed1 Google is a wonderful search tool. Befriend it.

You should consider the SAT

Don’t worry about strict word count but keep it around 600. It’s relatively easy to trim down to 500 if needed.

I know AMC programs used to do secondary apps. Drexel did for 2019-2020.

I believe that if the CommonApp already has the why medicine & why this program essay then that’s all you submit and should wait for interview notification. More often than not, you’d have to fill out a separate BSMD app with those essay prompts. On occasions, you’d have programs with med-school-like secondary app like Rensselaer-AMC.

Most public colleges want FAFSA on file for merit. Don’t worry about colleges cross checking to see where else you apply. Colleges are mostly disfunctional. Their departments don’t coordinate as well you think.

@ttb1263 Being cost conscious, you should definitely try NJIT/NJMS 7-year program if your daughter’s stats are top notch. NJIT scholarship for its undergrad with its Alber Dorman HC is a full-tuition + room scholarship. If admitted to the 7-year program, it’s a full-ride for undergrad.

No, it is not necessary to file FAFSA to get a true merit scholarship from public or private institutions. Know this from experience. It is only required for need-based financial aid if one qualifies e.g. Pell Grants etc.

This scholarship does not need a FAFSA to be filed. NJIT is a publicly financed NJ state’s engineering institution.

Secondary applications are mostly sent after one passes a preliminary screening by medical school. This is primarily designed for a specific medical school related questions. There is a separate fee that is required to be sent with each secondary application.

I trust @grtd2010’s experience, but I do hear people telling personal stories about having to file for FAFSA to qualify for merit. If this is a matter of importance to you, please check with financial aid. They should be able to tell you the school policies. It’s explained to me the reason why schools like to have students file for FAFSA is because they want to make sure that any need-based aid from the govt will kick in if needed to finance students’ education cost.

Most high school counselors advise to file FAFSA for the reason stated above " to file FAFSA is because they want to make sure that any need-based aid from the govt will kick in if needed to finance students’ education cost." If one is on border line, please do file it. FAFSA takes into account all sources of income and assets like home equity, bank accounts etc. One can find out very easily whether one is on border line to qualify for need-based financial aid or not. One has to list all Colleges or Universities that can access it on the FAFSA so once they get hold of one’s FAFSA they know what other places one has applied.

@junebug20

Thanks for sharing first hand info about UAB. While as you mentioned 1/3 of the seats may have been allocated to OOS students, do we know how many within this category are regional vs others. Some time ago I checked their portal the profiles of students posted there and noticed that they seem to allocate some slots for students from neighborhood states like Georgia and Tennessee (Regional, as I mentioned in the post). So that would leave perhaps a couple of slots for all others, and may be the main reason we hardly come across anyone on this forum posting about getting into that program.

Agree with your assessment of REMS tightening their belts wrt to merit awards, more and more programs are adopting that pattern, entertaining mostly need based and cutting down on merit alone.

As a high school counselor, we recommend our students file, even if they don’t think they will qualify for anything, because the rules and procedures vary so immensely between schools that it is just a safer bet to have them file. In our state, there are multiple merit based scholarships that require FAFSA completion, and demonstrated need isn’t required.

And to be honest, it’s a number that is tracked in our school/county. Florida estimates how many students on average qualify for grants and the number isn’t even close to being met with FAFSA completion rates.

(Personally, we don’t qualify for need based aid. But because our EFC showed a gap in award, we did qualify for need consider aid from three scholarships. My oldest ended up with $17k in scholarships and many required the FAFSA).

Thanks @junebug20 & @grtd2010 .

We planned to apply to both NJIT and Rutgers.

As for FAFSA and CSS profile, we may create them but I don’t think we are qualified for financial aids.

Folks

Take FAFSA as part of the process.
Question - will you NOT apply to a college that mandates FAFSA?

@NoviceDad, I have researched around 9-10 BSMD programs so far and nowhere I found them mentioning that they mandate FAFSA. Do you know any specific programs that need FAFSA?

@rk1235rk

FAFSA is required for all governmental aid and all need-based aid.

If you do NOT file FAFSA (and CSS), then you have communicated to colleges that you have no interest in any such financial aid.