Thread for BSMD 2020-2021 Applicants (Part 1)

Can anyone share their NJMS interview experience please?

1 Like

FYI, The New Jersey Medical School Office Of Admissions lists the NJMS admissions team members. The following email is listed.
If you still have specific questions please email us at: njmsadmiss@njms.rutgers.edu
IF YOU ARE A CURRENT APPLICANT TO NJMS:
Please email us at: njmsapplicant@njms.rutgers.edu
-Be sure to include your AMCAS ID # in your email
AMCAS ID is for regular MD applicants , not for BSMD.

1 Like

Everything else rejected (2021 has been full of rejections), except PMM ā€¦ praying !!

Good luck for everyone !!

4 Likes

It was interesting to read the TCNJ rejection email as posted by you.
TCNJ seems to have more information about NJMS selection criteria than other feeders. In last year cycle, an applicant was rejected by TCNJ but was selected by NJMS via NJIT feeder.

1 Like

Donā€™t be influenced by the :drum: you hear here :stuck_out_tongue:

Sure:

Interview was with an Emeritus Professor of Medicine and former Chief of Medicine at one of the NJMS affiliated hospitals.

The interview is heavily dependent on the interviewer. My friends have had what they would call stress interviews in the past. I donā€™t think mine was. We spent about half the time talking about my path to medicine and reasons for choosing BS/MD as opposed to the regular path. We spent the rest of the interview talking about a non-medical activity I was involved in, which he also was involved in. We also spoke about the state of medicine in Newark and the insurance issue in medicine (something very relevant in Newark).

He was a really nice guy, he had lots of interesting stories and it was really a very nice conversation.

Again, the interview is likely dependent on the interviewer you get, so be prepared for anything.

1 Like

@srk2017 Family support during medical school duration is very crucial, so closeness to home is a more important factor than a ranking consideration for us. Of course UCSF should be chosen instead of CNU if available as a choice.

VCU is a good school and they give a full ride in UG to their strong BS/MD candidates. Both my child and I liked the campus. But, the snag my child thought was the Med school being far away from UG. Students have to take a bus to go to Med school if they want to do research etc as UGs and the ride was a good 15-25 minutes depending on the traffic.
If things havenā€™t changed since my child was accepted there- you have to take the MCAT and score the minimum (average for admitted students- I think).
Another advantage with VCU is that they allow you to apply to other Med schools and hold your position after you take your MCAT.
After all this my child declined her acceptance for REMS as she considered many other reasons.

2 Likes

Thank you so much!

VCU MCAT requirement is 508. There are many programs where UG and Med School are little far apart - such as TCNJ/NJMS, OU, Union,RPI/AMC, FAU honors college/medical college and others.

I keep hearing that but I am not sure if itā€™s same for boys vs girls. Well, UCSF is considered as the #1 medical school by those in the field (and PD rankings) so distance shouldnā€™t matter for schools like UCSF/Hopkins/Penn.

1 Like

More and more schools are nixing AOA. Today someone asked in the other site and here is the list. UCSF and Harvard are not in the list.

Yes, distance may not matter for some(boys vs girls ??). UCSF has a very good hospital in bay area. D has done medical ECs at UPenn hospital.

My son also received it but it is for their LLC at their Newark campus, there is no application for Honors college at NB

I so agree.
Every student or parentā€™s wants/ needs, analysis, judgement and deciding factors are very different. That is the reason I gave both pros and cons so that anyone reading my response can make an informed decision based on their own judgement.
Also true that many schools geography and demography can be different. I was talking about the schools that I visited/ or where my child got accepted to.

@nakor, I have a follow-up question on this. My D was not selected VCU GMED but she got into their honors program. I heard their honors programs students can apply next year for GMED and also lot of their honors kids graduate to medical school. Do you know the latest situation about this process?

1 Like

Iā€™m sorry, I donā€™t have any info about their Honors program.

1 Like

I know this question is directed at someone else but there is another track at VCU where students apply during their sophomore year of college. Like an EAP. Many of those students do get into the VCU medical school.

1 Like

Thank you @doctorpenguin ! Do you know anyone with recent experience? I heard it used to be the case some time ago.

2 Likes

@mygrad2021

You may also want to weigh the VCU or any other undergrad free rides against your own instate public schools with similar offers. Especially if they have well known med schools affiliated to then. You will also have to consider, the school size, student faculty ratio, competition/grade deflation, major, opportunities for ECs etc. Your Cā€™s high school guidance counselors may have good insights into how the students from the high school are doing in the state schools.

2 Likes