Thread for BSMD 2020-2021 Applicants (Part 1)

No, not sure but I bet you could reach out to admissions and ask to speak to a student who went through that process. Though if you are considering EAP, maybe consider schools with a higher chance of getting in like Toledo, SLU, USF or Seton Hall.

1 Like

I hope youre right, but wihthUSMLE Part 1 just P/F now, hmmmm. BTW, didn’t you use a consulting team? Mind sharing the info? (feel free to PM me thx)

Does the website say that you can apply out of the BS/MD program at VCU?

Thank you !!

I am also little doubtful about this. Didn’t see anywhere on VCU BSMD page that you can apply out and they still keep your seat.
The only one I know for sure that does that is UAB EMSAP.

1 Like

No, D got into a few BSMD programs a few years ago by her own efforts. D is not worried about USMLE-1, USMLE-2 at present. One has to do all the work even one has hired a consulting team. You can do all the research.

Congratz! I think we’re about 80-85% there. Just need that 10-15% left to boost my son’s overall “package”. Is it worth the $$$? That’s what I;m debating.

Most 8 year programs have been known to be liberal with allowing students to explore out as long as they give advanced notice. Students in previous cycles have confirmed that for UConn and REMS. And you seem to confirm for UAB too. UPitt seemed that way too till they have tightened the noose recently apparently after few jumped off.

Stony Brook, Hofstra, VCU and the like may allow that too, find out. Brown is the only one I have heard of being strict about it, that they will rescind the spot.

1 Like

Requesting feedback/guidance, any ideas on the interview format, and preparation for umkc interviews. thanks in advance.

1 Like

Before one signs a contract for any BSMD program, read it carefully (the terms and conditions). Ask any questions related to applying out and what happens to the BSMD seat.

Anyone else here received am interview from Rowan?

Do you think they only send out interviews on Friday and that is it or is it likely that they might reach out if people don’t accept their interview invitation?

No… we completed the supplemental and did not hear back from Rowan BSMD…

how long should our responses be to big questions like “why medicine” in an interview? is 2-3 minutes reasonable or too long?

I’d so try limiting to 2 minutes, you want to show clear interest and drive but if you talk too long it’ll seem like you’re rambling or really unsure of why medicine is you goal. 2 minutes allows for enough elaboration without feeling like you’re dawdling or risk the interviewer from drowning you out. I have an issue with rambling especially when I’m excited so I find this 2 minute max to be helpful.

IMO it depends on the interview feel. My interview with Tulane last year was pretty informal, and my interviewers (both involved with admissions, but one was a Professor too I believe) let me talk about myself and my interests (tie them into your application “story”, for example, I was interested in Public Health and Tulane has ~1/4 of their class do a MD/MPH and my interviewers asked if that was what I was interested in) for the 30 minutes and asked clarifying questions every so often. Like with traditional college alumni interviews, definitely recommend to ask a few non-googleable questions at the end (ex: I asked about moving to New Orleans since neither of my interviewers were originally from there, as well as about mentoring programs in the med school/provided specific examples etc.)

around 2 mins. If you go on more than that, interviewers will lose interest.

@rk1235rk

We were in the same boat last year. SMED was the first interview for my DC. We designated BU as the first choice in NMSC in Feb and got the $25k scholarship with the SMED decision in late March. My DC was torn between SMED (Boston) and HPME and decided to go to NU. We changed the first choice designation when we paid the NU deposit. NMSC sent the 2500 scholarship to NU.

1 Like

Thank you @ROSSX2 for sharing your experience. I have sent you PM for extra details. Will appreciate if you can answer it.

Does Rowan BSMD start in junior year?

Has anyone received a rejection from FAU or interview invites only?