Thread for BSMD 2020-2021 Applicants (Part 1)

I know last cycle a kid applied ED to Brown, got in, and got in to PLME. So can it happen? sure. But I kinda feel like he is some rare albino dolphin whose existence is a chance of fate and science.

The two schools I know of are Brown PLME and Wayne State Med-Direct (which requires ED, but it’s a full-ride undergrad and full-tuition med school program) that admit via ED. However, it is possible to be admitted only to the undergrad at Brown and be deferred for PLME, so don’t do this unless you would be happy to attend Brown and go the traditional route.

@PikachuRocks15

Wayne State hasn’t released its admissions process for this year. So I would hesitate to ED there as who knows if it is going to pull a WashU or Northwestern and something happens to the program. Maybe others on here know the behind the scences?

You don’t ED to the school but only the direct BS/MD program. See the FAQ at the bottom of this page: https://provost.wayne.edu/wayne-med-direct/prospective/binding

Oh that makes sense. Thank you!

@jack2021

Would suggest to apply widely and around April 2021 decide which program you like or don’t like. Eliminating programs if they have MCAT is not a good idea. Most of the students who are capable to get admission for BS/MD are very capable to get decent MCAT score even with less efforts.

@Drillerguy
A SAT 1510 is a decent score but do not hold your breathe. You may be lucky to get a few interviews with that score.

Your are using a wrong criteria here. MCAT is just one of the test you have to face in a long career as a MD ( if you become one). MCAT is not that bad either. Apply broadly and pray that someone likes you enough to invite you for an interview. All you need is ONE acceptance to become a MD (bsmd).

Appreciate your advice!

@7phyrr
On the other hand a 63% SAT II score may not have any positive impact on your chances. Skip it. Your UW GPA and SAT scores are not that great either.

Doing some research helped me realize that bs md might be a bigger reach than I expected, partly due to some things out of my control, but nonetheless these scores aren’t objectively bad for regular pre med applications am I correct?

No, you don’t have to rule yourself out if you do well on SAT. There have been few successful students (refer to latest and past results threads) despite seemingly not so stellar stats. Conversely it can be a reach even for the ones with the most compelling stats. Depends on how well you can connect with the admissions folks reading your essays and the application as a whole to be called for interviews first and likewise with the interviewers.

The issue with regular premed, unless you choose the right school and major, achieving great gpa can be even more challenging than in high school. On top of it, it is not just gpa and MCAT but 10 other factors that decide the outcomes going traditional premed route. (You can read some relevant previous posts of mine on the same thread at your convenience)

Makes sense. Any suggestions for good pre med schools in Texas? I like Rice for its medical center and smaller school (which means more opportunities correct?) My parents say its not worth it compared to the cheaper public schools in UT and Texas A&M so I’m not sure. Also applying to all the bs md programs in Texas. Chances I can score a scholarship at any of Texas schools either?

Rice is a fine school, but chances of getting any price breaks other than need based are remote. Also the caliber of students one needs to compete against and excel in the class rooms there will be very high. Something you may or may not have to factor in based on how important medicine as a career matters to you. So if say some one graduating from there with a 3.5 gpa and 520+ MCAT may find it difficult to get accepted to med schools of their choice.
Also beware of the marketing hype created at many schools about what percentage of their pre med students and alumni enter med schools. They tweak and filter many things to make the numbers look impressive.

Here is some data for regular MD applicants from each state. For the applicants who call Texas as their residence, only 30% matriculated to in-state medical schools, 5% to out-of-state medical schools and whopping approx 65% has no luck. Rice has no medical school of its own, correct ? You may be talking about Baylor here. All Texas medical schools have its own TMDSAS application process ( https://www.tmdsas.com/ ).

https://www.aamc.org/system/files/2019-11/2019_FACTS_Table_A-5.pdf

You can research other useful information from AAMC website.

Hi, my dd’s school uses Naviance so the recommendation letters from the teachers and guidance will be uploaded to the site but she has a doctor that would like to write her a letter of recommendation and I don’t know the protocol of sending such letter to all the schools; Will anybody be able to advise? Thank you!

@Herefortwo ,
There is only a handful of schools require subject scores. Of course, one should take them if there is an opportunity, but I don’t think this will be a deal breaker for schools do not required subject tests since many test locations have been cancelled.

@Drillerguy

Retake SAT if you can. However, I know students from last cycle who got in with SAT superscore of 1500. Some of these students got more than 1 interviews because I saw them at more than 1 interview when I took my son for interviews. So
 I understand that SAT is important, but GPA has always been the most important factor, and SAT is less important this year due to Covid-19.

My advice is to concentrate on what you can control now: your essays. The due dates for the applications are around the corner before you know. Make sure you track the due dates! And there will be lots of essays depending on the number of schools you apply. However, on an average, expect 7 essays/per school (some have 5; some have 10; I remember 1 with 11 topics, yes 11). Your “why you want to be a doctor” needs to be great, not good! Also, for the schools don’t require only 1 or 2 essays when you first apply, they will ask for more essays later if they like you.

Also, keep in mind that the kids and parents who report their scores here tend to share their stats because they are great stats. You may not see the stats of students which are not great and also got it! Just human being!

@7phyrr
First, get your SAT scores higher.
Second, I don’t see any healthcare related experience
 If you can, try to shadow local doctors after school if you can. Even if you can get in 50 hours with three local private doctors, that would be great. If you don’t know anyone, just send mass e-mails to private doctor offices and make calls. Ask them if you can help them file, take calls, set up room to get ready for patients, etc. It will be difficult, but at least try. Even if you don’t get any, at least you can say so on your essay. Remember if you have no healthcare exposure, it will be difficult for a school to consider you because they may wonder is “how do I do if this candidate who want to be a doctor is not afraid of blood or know what it is like to work with a patient?”

Folks

National Merit Semifinalists were announced yesterday.

Cut offs for all states declined by 1 to 5 points compared to last year.
16 states had a 1 point drop while 23 had a 3-point drop.

Congratulations to all who were recognized.