Thread for BSMD 2020-2021 Applicants (Part 1)

About 1.5-2 weeks

@grtd2010

I will say, out of the 12 schools he applied to, TCNJ has by far the most prompts, even beating out Penn (though he didnā€™t apply to Honors there). Most had 2-3.

BSMD is just one option. He has another list of schools for which he is applying as reg undergrad. If he gets a spot in a BSMD program, we will be thrilled. But I think even he knows that his odds of getting into Harvard are greater than a BSMD acceptance. And he is okay with that. Will it sting? Yeah. But it isnā€™t life ending

Thank you for the list and deadlines

Thank you a ton @Vicky2019 and @mom2boys1999 for lists.

This helped a lot especially considering that we are late in the game.

Sincerely appreciate the help.

no pun intended but it coincides with ID.?

As most of you on this thread know, NU was not taking HPME apps this cycleā€¦but have now made it official that the program is permanently discontinued.

https://dailynorthwestern.com/2020/10/11/campus/academic/hpme-faculty-terminates-program-for-all-future-cycles-citing-effectiveness-regarding-diversity/

It sums up very well ā€œThinking about whoā€™s in HPME, the students usually have research experience in high school or clinical shadowing hours or medical background,ā€ HPME senior Hannah Green said. ā€œThose things all require a pretty high level of social capital and cater more explicitly to those of higher socioeconomic status.ā€
This is known with not just HPME, but all BS/MD programs.

anyone know how many applicants the siena/albany med program gets? i think rpi gets around 800 and unionā€™s website says it got 266 for fall 2020. however, sienaā€™s website doesnā€™t say anything about the number of applicants so i was hoping someone here would know

IMO, why put your kid under so much stress for a BSMD seat (5% seats) when it may be far easier to get into a medical school via regular route (95% of seats) ? May be a gain of 1 year in a 7 yr BSMD program. Let him/her enjoy the high school. One year will not make any difference in a long career as a MD. One should really assess the stress and rewards of pursuing this choice. Most who drive their kids to pursue BSMD, are risk averse folks who are afraid of not getting into a medical school in future after an UG.
TCNJ is not a popular choice for NJ STEM students. Most would prefer Rutgers or NJIT (Engineering School) over TCNJ.

All BSMD applicants :
FYI, one of the requirements for NJMS BSMD is a minimum grade of B in all medical school pre-requisites during UG. One grade of ā€œB-ā€ or below in probably Organic Chemistry, one is back to regular route MD.

Please have a look at 2024 class profile for NJMS. http://njms.rutgers.edu/admissions/stats.cfm

Only approximately 16% of all matriculants (including regular and BSMD, only 29 out of a class of 178 were OOS) to NJMS are OOS. Is it worthwhile to apply as an OOS to NJMS ? Think about it.

Iā€™ll just chime in that when my son expressed an interest in medicine, I urged him to look at BSMD programs closely. Not sure if my son would be the first ā€œsecond generationā€ BSMD student but I attended the USC program (it was discontinued about 5 years ago). Rather than being a risk-averse situation, I encourage these programs because in my case I was able to take a far more diverse course load and have an awesome social life (met my beautiful wife in undergrad and I spent time courting her that I would have spent studying). I was also able to land research opportunities since I was theoretically going to be around for eight years. I still graduated with a good GPA and MCAT score, in fact, I applied out and attended a different medical school rather than staying in Los Angeles because my wife wanted to attend grad school elsewhere and I was fortunately accepted to a medical school thirty minutes away from her school.

Anyway, point of this reply is that BSMD isnā€™t just a risk-averse situation. These programs are far more competitive than in my day but given my sonā€™s interest, itā€™s a no-brainer to at least try for these programs.

Yes, there are cases like your sonā€™s ( IIRC, you posted about Univ of Denver BSMD for in-state applicants only, an athlete).

Reg: NJMS OOS applicant prospects:

It is very misleading to cite the overall class statistics (BS/md + traditional) to say chances are slim for OOs. Also donā€™t believe srarements made here that it is difficult to get instate tuition for med school for NJMS for BS/md students.

The main reason NJMS has such a low OOS enrollment overall is 60k+ tuition for OOS candidates via traditional route. Not an issue for BS/MD route students. And they do take decent number of OOS students for BS/MD.

Unfortunately, heā€™s not interested in UC Denver for undergrad. . . Heā€™s only applying to spots that heā€™d be happy with attending undergrad whether it was part of BSMD or not so that eliminates lots of terrific programs with great med schools like UC Denver, Stonybrook, VCU and a few others that I would apply to if I were in his shoes (but Iā€™m not, so thatā€™s ok).

Valid point, made here multiple times by many others.
But some people are bent on bashing and repeating themselves for ever, whether anyone here cares or not.

Makes sense, one needs to choose what is most appealing for one self. Since going to spend next 4-8 years at the place. But in these times it is difficult to travel to different campuses and get the vibes of what it is like out there.

@Didjaco Well that validates HPME summary, ā€œThose things all require a pretty high level of social capital and cater more explicitly to those of higher socioeconomic status.ā€.
I wish that kind of diverse course load option is open to everyone not just few privileged ones, including me. Being you in industry, certain that you understand very well, why more and more SOMs are moving away from direct programs.
One can opt for best in class undergraduate school and be a Dr, it is not necessarily have to be direct BS/MD as barely any good BS/MD left that provides best of UG and MD since WUSTL and NU both moved away from it.

I canā€™t disagree with you on this.?

@grtd2010

Maybe you know different types of parents. Personally speaking, my kid drives his own self. I am here for support and opportunities. But if he wanted to go to trade school or follow his fatherā€™s footsteps and join the military, I would be just as happy and proud.

Itā€™s my role to help him, not dictate to him. He chose this path.

What are the middle tier BSMD programs? What are the chances of getting in to them. Supplementary essays weightage in accepting into BSMD programs