Thread for BSMD 2020-2021 Applicants (Part 1)

@love4bsmd - My suggestion is for you to focus on what you can do to improve your BSMD or UG application instead of digging into details of how standardized tests are scored! This is neither your area of expertise nor it is the best use of your time.

Just be focussed on what matters…

@rk1235rk - IMO, at this last minute, your student has worked really hard for their goal.

Your student should apply with what they have to the BSMD or UG list of schools.

You should stop second guessing what colleges will consider as competitive or not because we all know the results are not in our hands.

As Bhagwad geeta says, work without attachment to results, It will give you some peace!

@emma90 - When you login to Common application, are you able to find select BSMD as an option?

@Vicky2019 No, there’s a separate application portal that must be completed. When I click on the link to the application, it says that it is not available yet.

The website says:
“The application opens in September each year and will be accessible on the Connections Dual Admissions Program homepage.”

I’m wondering if the program is cancelled at this point.

@emma90
It is certainly odd as its ‘How to Apply’ section has dates from 2019. Their website suggests “To help us best serve you, we ask that you use email as the primary form of communication.” Send an email and allow couple of days to get a response. If program is canceled, it shouldn’t state “NOTE: The information reflected on these pages refers to the prior application year. When information pertaining to the upcoming application cycle is available, it will be posted here. Until then, please check back often.”

@emma90, my daughter sent an email and this is the response she received.

Thank you for reaching out. It is yet to be determined what the timeline of the Connections application process will be this year as a result of the COVID-19 pandemic. As soon as a decision is reached, we will post that information to the Connections website first. Accordingly, you should continue to routinely monitor that site.

Anyone knows if FAU BSMD is still on or not? On FAU Wilkes Honors College - Medical Scholars Program (which is BSMD via their honors college), this is what it says:

DUE TO THE PANDEMIC, there have been delays but the application process will begin again no later than October 15, 2020

And today in Oct 18.
Seems like this notice is recently added because it was not there few weeks ago.
Anyone has any information?

Thank you.

And also one tends to be more calm, focused, disciplined and as a result more efficient and productive too …

@rk1235rk

Yes it is. My son filled out the form on the website but it was for last year so they contacted him this week actually to have him fill out the new form.

http://med.fau.edu/admissions/bsmd-programs.php

@mom2boys1999 , the website states it’s rolling admission and they have given last date as March 1st for Wilkes Medical Scholars but not mentioned the last date for Med Direct program. Do you know more details on this? Do we have to get admission to undergraduate before applying to Med Direct?

@mygrad2021

I dont think you need to have been accepted (he wasn’t told that) but you do need to have applied as you will need your Z number for the BSMD application.

I think the undergrad part is rolling and gets acceptances out pretty quickly (I think my son received his within a week). I dont think you will hear from the BSMD side of things until after the new year.

Thank you @mom2boys1999 ! whats last date for BS/MD portion?

@mygrad2021

Last year was Jan 15. Florida schools are NOT going test optional per state and regents do not sure if they will push back the timeline to allow for more opportunities?

Thank you @mom2boys1999 !

Thank you @mom2boys1999.

@emma90 - ok, makes sense. But, there are other steps such as STEP1 & Scholarship you could complete before the STEP 2 “connections application submission” as seen in their website (https://med.uc.edu/connections/how-to-apply)

=>I went to the webpage for “How to Apply” where the STEP 1 is - Complete the Common Application and all University of Cincinnati undergraduate admissions requirements by December 1, 2019.

===> application and scholarship deadlines of the undergraduate academic programs, so check that

=>We encourage you to see if you are eligible to apply to the University of Cincinnati’s Darwin T. Turner Scholarship.

=> STEP 2: Submit the online Connections application, including $30 application fee.

==> To create a new Connections application or access your in-progress application (link will be active when application is open each year)

You need to be admitted to the undergrad for the medical school to even consider your application.
While the admissions are rolling, if you apply in Nov, the average turnaround time is about 4-6 weeks.
BS/MD deadline is Jan 10.

Should one do AP Calculus BC after already doing AP Calculus AB in Junior Year, or do a dual degree for Calculus at a College?

Also, should one do AP Physics C or AP Chem, or both, but won’t be able to take math?

AP US History or AP Psych?

Thanks @NoviceDad !

Not a good idea for going for college level enrollment right after Calc AB. Perhaps should have been fine if he/she took Calc BC in junior year. Also as someone mentioned earlier, all college level courses and grades need to be declared on AAMC application, irrespective of when taken if going traditional route. As such senior year is going to be crazy with the flood gates of applications opening up, so better not be too ambitious. Many of these programs ask for grades for the first semester or marking period of senior year too. So from all angles Calc BC seems a safer bet.

It is recommended to have Math, science, social and English every year in high school (if possible foreign language too, but there is some flexibility there). So can’t drop math to take both Chem and Phys. If you have to drop one, drop Phys and take Chem since that seems to be given higher importance by these programs in general.

Between Psych and History, no easy answer. One should see what excites self more. Also depends on the teacher at the school teaching these. A subject can be as interesting and involving or as dull as the teacher can make out of it. Another factor is the expectation from the teacher as one has to keep an eye on the grades by first marking period and the additional time needed on applications. A great teacher, loading you with tonnes of work and tough in grades may not be what you want in the senior year.