Thread for BSMD 2020-2021 Applicants (Part 1)

UIC GPAA BSMD intake is very low compared to size of the medical school class.
University of Illinois 310 10 ( in-state only) - 3.23% see post #1434

The research director’s LOR is very useful for a MD/PhD program not so much for a BSMD candidate. One needs to submit separate LORs for PhD part of admission from folks who know your research potential. May be get one from a person in a health profession (e.g. a physician/oncologist from shadowing him/her) if applicable.

As per FAQ page https://gppa.uic.edu/prospective-students/faqs/ they take 43 to 55.

@Smilescreen @Vicky2019

This year Pitt’s website states they won’t be sending supplementals until after the Nov 1 deadline.

Per admissions page:
Please note: If you are selected to continue in the GAP review process, you will be notified by early December. All applicants for this guarantee will be reviewed for nomination after the November 1 deadline. Please do not contact the Office of Admissions and Financial Aid or the School of Medicine regarding the status of your application. Only candidates who are selected to continue in the GAP review process will be notified. Additionally, due to the high number of quality applicants for this program, decisions cannot be appealed.

@myhouse1

You can’t ED to Northeastern and EA to Georgetown.

Per Georgetown:
In keeping with this principle, students applying under the Early Action program may not apply to any binding Early Decision programs since they then would not be free to choose Georgetown if admitted. Students are, however, allowed to apply to other Early Action or other Regular Decision programs while simultaneously applying to Georgetown’s Early Action program.

My own kid has these choices on his list and had to apply EA to the schools. He lost his ED bump as didn’t want to do all that work for a BSMD application and then get pinned by an ED acceptance.

@PPofEngrDr If the size is 43-55 then do you know how many do matriculate to the medical school ?

@grtd2010 -

I am aware that PSU is known to be a party school. However, I am no expert to respond to your question being a parent (with a freshman student) who just started school.

However, I was not aware of only 16 graduating to medical school out of 25 and is completely opposite to what I have heard.

In fact, based on what I heard, MCAT score requirement of 504 and GPA of 3.5 are very achievable. They have 3 chances at MCAT. During my s interview, I was able to speak to several students from medical school who confirmed that almost all students graduate to medical school.
Penn State PMM is a small program in a big university and all these (25-30) students stick together and support each other. They are closely supervised by their PMM director and staff and who help them to successfully graduate to med school.

Perhaps, some students take the extra year to finish their MCATs instead of acceleration during UG?

Yeah! you are right. Georgetown is out if ED’ng to Northeastern!

And so goes the same old story all over again and again, based on some outdated statistics.
As to how scared the BS/MD students are of MCAT, and that being their primary motive for getting into these programs (as if it’s an easy thing), how incompetent they are, how badly they will do in the med school and their low step scores, how they won’t match into good residencies, blah, blah and blah.

I have no doubt that almost all these 25-30 students score > 90 percentile on MCAT after their sophomore year without having to even prepare 
 Penn State has wonderful research opportunities for those to whom they matter.

I suspect high number if not all, based on BS/MD programs trend. I do know that even the dean encourages gap year for GPPA students, typically 4th year, finish UG in 3.

It is so funny, all the stats are for reference and take it with grain of salt, not as a constitution. Whenever you see lack of transparency, you have all the reasons to be skeptical and won’t assume anything about those students ability but your own capability.

@myhouse1

Just to add to others replies (specifically @Vicky2019 ), your school list is a stretch.
Even for regular route the choices of schools are very competitive unless your child is strong in academics to be on in the top 25%. Since taken 10 APs, how did it go, all 5s?

Taking tests multiple times is not a good strategy. Prepare well in the first time itself, at the worst case may take 2nd time. But beyond that it is not going to improve that much. Evaluate the relative academic capability and choose a school where can thrive in the top 25% for GPA during UG.

I just received my Washington and Jefferson supplement for the BS/MD program with Temple. Does anyone know how long my responses should be?

Question about Rutgers BA/MD Part 2 :
Part II. Describe your health-related volunteer experiences and the time devoted to them. (150 words) Provide supporting documentation in your portfolio from a supervisor, coordinator, etc

Is there a template for the doctor that you shadowed to fill in ?

Can a librarian provide documentation or is it better if a doctor fills it ? My doctor asked if there is a template that they can fill

@highschoolinnj , I don’t think there is any standard template to provide this kind of information. Its just that letter should confirm the timeline (from-to), hours and a small description of what you did there. Usually office manager at doctors office can provide those.

This is probably the first college that I heard of, which is asking for documentation of student’s shadowing/volunteering activities.

Does anyone know of any other colleges that ask these kind of documentation?

@highschoolinnj, @rk1235rk , this is the only school we have seen that asks for documentation and the rest are self-reported. It’s a tedious task to get all that documentation from so many people. that’s reason my daughter removed this college from her list. I am not sure how people re managing. Getting from teachers, counselors and test scores itself is becoming a challenge. They cannot understand our anxiety and simply delay things.

@mygrad2021, I agree, there are many things to take care of during application cycle and getting letters from doctors office would just increase work. From my experience, doctors office are usually very busy and it is difficult to coordinate things and paperwork with them. My D has asked a letter of recommendation from one of the doctors she shadowed and has sent request from common app over a month ago. But even after multiple reminders, doctor is yet to complete the reco. letter.

What about later in the application cycle - like during interviews, acceptances etc. Would some colleges want documentation then? If we know before hand, it would be better to start collecting documentation early.

Students/parents who applied during previous cycles - can anyone comment on this?

Thanks

Did BS/MD deadlines for Adelphi/ UAS , SUNY and Case western reserve change ?

@rk1235rk , I have been following this thread for more than a year now but never came across this kind of question anyone asked. So I would assume it’s not necessary unless the admission officer/college has any doubt that the information on the application is not genuine. I think they can easily make out based on the rest of the profile or during the interview process.

I would still like senior members on this thread to respond.

@mygrad2021, @highschoolinnj, @rk1235rk

Most hospitals, clinics and private doctor’s office would gladly verify your duration of volunteering with dates. A librarian is not a health professional or administrator in a health related office, IMO.
If you do not follow the proper guidelines with needed documentation, your application may be deemed incomplete and may be treated like that during the BSMD process. If so, why even bother to apply.

Senior members in this forum are not ad-com members so their opinion counts as ziltch(zero).