Thread for BSMD 2020-2021 Applicants (Part 2)

If you get into MD/PhD, you may not be able to enter you rotations unless you finish PhD first. They would make sure that you are not just getting MD for free without completing PhD. A PhD would take usually 3-4 years extra.
If MD/PhD was a way to get a MD free of cost, every one would have figured it out by now. The price may be 3-4 years of your MD practice (as time devoted to doing a PhD).

it was mentioned as part of the discussions about various paths and what’s available at different schools. Kids have different interests and let them explore. We are not making public policy in this thread.

Again your argument is BSMD is the only choice if you are interested in medicine and go to Duke only to explore non-medicine fields?

You don’t need MD/Ph.D to do research.

Definitely like other senior people mentioned, go with SLU

Agree with my friend. Make sure SLU won’t look at international status when time comes to matriculate you into medical school. Try to get in writing.

1 Like

@kfl2021
Based on what you’ve described about your situation, I wonder if you should even pursue a BS/MD? It seems like UIUC offers exactly what your looking for in terms of the undergraduate programs and I wouldn’t necessarily compromise on that especially if you’re not 100% set on medicine.

Any idea when RPI/AMC will release final results? I interviewed early Feb and was informed that I was still under consideration on March 12. Early April is almost over

I will for sure, but hopefully the international status should not be a problem since SLU med website explicitly says that International students will be accepted and treated no differently than out of state students for admission

1 Like

Send them an email (a nice formal email) and tell them that you are very interested in knowing the result. Also share your new accomplishments etc

Last cycle, some one did exactly this and got a seat immediately in 3-4 days. No guarantees but no harm in trying.

@LargeTortoise - Send them an email (a nice formal email) and tell them that you are very interested in knowing the result. Also share your new accomplishments etc

Last cycle, some one did exactly this and got a seat immediately in 3-4 days. No guarantees but no harm in trying.

1 Like

@srk2017

Find one UT guy who does not love Austin ( except weeded out in ECE/CS) and compare to Rice - No match.

Think article is funny!!

“Well Vandy and Rice are #1 and #2 happiest schools for UG if it means anything.”

"Vanderbilt is the Happiest University in the US "

Yeah, I am prepared to take the extra 3-4 years prior to rotations if accepted into an MD/PhD program. The question I have to answer is if practicing as a physician for those extra 3-4 years would make up for the cost of med school and cost of living.

My parents are confident that I would be able to pay back REMS debts over those first few years (depending on the specialty, of course), so I am leaning towards MD only, but considering both options.

UIUC’s program looks like a perfect fit! It offers exactly what you want, in terms of curriculum, location, and cost. They have a great CS program, their MD/Ph.D. program fits your interests and the Data Science major also fits your interests, it’s closer to home, and you get a much better deal. I’d go for UIUC 100%.

Austin appeals to only those who wants to (see image)

FYI - Pitt is in Top 8 as per PD ranking, just a shade below Stanford.

I know that my friend :slight_smile: I never said anything against Pitt medical but UG is lower mid tier (if that makes sense) :slight_smile:

My friend - check your post 2858!
:wink:

MD/PhD covers tuition. Plus pays stipend that would keep you floating. You don’t practice as physician until after rotation, residency.
Explore IST program at Northwestern designed towards MD/PhD.

I don’t have the habit of looking back :slight_smile: However T5 is the top most category, so I am still correct. T5, T10 and T20s are how medical schools are categorized generally.