Thread for BSMD 2020-2021 Applicants (Part 2)

Step 2 scores, LORs, school reputation will be factors going forward.

sounds like you have done your homework

I have heard good things about SLU med from my friend’s son a current student, and in a way it does provide the best of both worlds, right?

She toured it and didn’t like it. SLU costs is in par with other Private schools.

Not aware of that, so semi conversion enforced or you can study about any religion?

It is Jesuit school, so you are taking religious courses. Most are related Jesuit and one world religious course. Grade deflation and weed out classes are common. However 2021 surviving UG got into SLU MED.

I wouldn’t do it but I also don’t put fake Christmas tree like most desis do :slight_smile:

IMO, one world religion course is very common in state and private universities. It is to broaden one’s knowledge about other religions. Another course in the history of Jesuit religion may not be too bad. No one can convert you without your consent. Visit a near by church on a Sunday when feasible, just to learn something about other’s religion.

1 Like

I don’t see that as valid reason to reject SLU. In multi cultural society, we are part of, it is important one leave their radical views about any religion/race/ethnicity at bay. I am a firm believer in diversity.

I agree but no school should force courses about religion.

It is a private school, it is their choice.

1 Like

Besides, they too have diversity goals to fulfil.

And if one is afraid of conversion just by studying other faith/religion, in my guess your own faith is weak.

1 Like

Yes, it’s their choice and OP’s choice to reject.

It is OP’s choice not to take the opportunity and partial scholarship from SLU.

It’s about the requirement not about other religions. I have friends from other religions and I participated in their religious events (attended Jewish Seder and Bar Mitzvah)

She didn’t reject SLU because of those courses, she felt it wasn’t good fit for her after visiting SLU. Please don’t hijack the thread.

No one is hijacking anything. Universities in USA are very diverse and a melting pot. Your D may find folks at university who would try to convert her, even in public universities. Beware of it.

“Also, 6 Credit hours of religious studies is a deal breaker.” came from you and we are debating that so no hijacking or not hurting anyone’s religious feelings.

Let’s put the truth forward
Dad who has no knowledge about where D had applied, from east coast to west coast, but mid-west, but knows med school procedures and details even about classes being conducted at a particular school.
And now @Corz06 edited own response “Also, 6 Credit hours of religious studies is a deal breaker.”