Thread for BSMD Applicants 2019

@GoldenRock that is very interesting data. I can see why so much buzz about ORM and URM.
Assume most of Asian participants on this thread have 2nd generation students affiliation. This is how I see. Dr profession is one of profession that is a high public service and human psych. Whenever communication comes, language come into play.
So put that in perspective w.r.t Law profession.
How many people need Health professional help vs Law professional?
What % of above demographics need those services, aka which demographics are their bread and butter?
People prefer the race they are comfortable to share their personal details and sympathize with them, just human nature.
In that regard Asian health professional has advantage as they can communicate in English+Asian language. Unfortunately other demographics doesn’t have that inherent advantage, they may know one more highly sought language Spanish.
By the same token with law, certain that above numbers are tilted much in favor of While (don’t have any data to prove just feeling).
Other factor is, most of Asians population migrated here based on merits and so they regard the value of education relatively higher and become a fierce competitor to other demographics and unintentionally among themselves. (I haven’t seen a single Asian Indian working on any road construction project, aka blue collar jobs).
I agree that certain demographics are disproportionately disadvantage due to fact that simple lack of education and at some extent disregard for it too. There are lots of other sociopolitical factors play role into that.I tell my kids that you are lucky that you have only seen good side of America and always site an example of south side of Chicago.
On other hand you will see the 3rd generation Asians are expanding their wings in journalism, law enforcement and other white collar professions.
Sometimes it makes me wonder that our systems are leading us into modern day segregation?

@PPofEngrDr
I have seen Asian Indians in following jobs in USA

• potato pickers at a farm
  • janitors
  • convenience store cashiers
  • motel room cleaners
  • Walmart / other retail store cashiers/ back room packers/ store sales persons
  • uniform cleaners / packers
  • security guards
  • airport luggage handlers
  • assembling circuit boards
    These may not be true blue collar jobs but they are definitely not high paying white collar jobs.

Apart from being doctors, engineers, computer programmers, lawyers, comedians, animation artists, script writers, professors, entrepreneurs, journalists, policy wonks, deans, nurses, pharmacists, PAs, and others.

25% of all Asian Indian origin people are officially POOR. Many are working 3 jobs to make ends meet. A lot more are working two jobs.

Yes, many of us are privileged (self included).

The trouble is folks from these poor Asian Indians also get clubbed with us privileged ones during college admissions- they do NOT get the benefits that poor folks from other communities get. The bar for them is also very high and nothing troubles me more than see many of these deserving kids lose out on opportunities.

@NoviceDad @OldSchoolMD @PPofEngrDr Thank you

@grtd2010 Most probably NJIT
 it gives full ride and closer to NJMS for research and clinical activity
 TCNJ offers only 10K max and it is not closer to any hospitals and research is not very impressive.

Any feedback on Sophie Davis? UAlbany/Upstate?
Decision time.
Debating to accept traditional route for a small liberal arts, tuition free school near home where can also play D2 soccer, be in honors, travel, etc.
Feeling crazy to consider traditional route after all the BSMD efforts.
Are the above BSMD acceptances worth trading a most likely more enjoyable undergrad experience?

@NoviceDad agree with those jobs and those are mainly associated with family tag immigration, who are immigrated w/o any professional background and ended up in those jobs in a hope for next generation to do better. If you look at hard labor jobs, like construction, mines etc. it is a virtual absence, partly their genetics are not that way.
Admission process has 2 dilemmas, merit vs underprivileged. Merit based system is maneuvered by privileged folks (recent cheating scandal) and underprivileged kids get burned by lack of opportunities. It is a very difficult balancing act for colleges and believe there are colleges who are able to manage them well and others not so good at it.

@Mahikesh
Congratulations! I personally think NJIT is a better choice considering how welcoming they are to BS/MD students. Also looking at the stats they provided for last year a decent number of students accepted into the program matriculated there. Agreed TCNJ has newer buildings and, dorms and semi rural set up which may be more appealing. But people don’t necessarily go for such things e.g. BU and Case Western, go for the stuff not for the fluff :wink: , if I may use that expression. More over as a male he may not have to be too concerned about safety, though NJIT campus is safe these days. He can walk over to njms as often as he wants and be involved all the 7 years if he wants. New York City is a train ride away 

@NoviceDad, @PPofEngrDr,

I have seen colleges being more cognizant of these differences among Asian origin applicants by asking specifics. May not be all but more and more of them asking for national origins within Asia, such as Cambodia, Vietnam and Indonesia 
 If not asked, it may benefit students to make it explicit in their applications by bringing it up in their essays.

@MaMaTEN

Don’t let the BS/BA/MD bird in hand fly away, unless it is prohibitively expensive for you !

@rk2017 Would you say the same for BS/DO? We are deciding between BS/DO and traditional.

@MaMaTEN
I would say go for BS / MD.
Having said that, this will something you as a family has to decide.
Happiness is a very personal definition and trade-offs need to factor that.

@DocGirlMom
Can you provide more details/ stats?

@DocGirlMom I think the BSDO calculation is different. I hope others will chime in. Personally, my D would have been fine attending DO after undergrad if she could not get into MD, but she would not have locked herself into DO and given up the chance for MD. It is getting harder to get into DO, but the necessary stats are still lower than MD. She would have rather taken the chance on regular undergrad.

Hello,
Not sure if this is where I should be asking this as I am new to this forum. My son got admitted to UMKC 6 year
Ba/Md program and Oklahoma medical l humanities scholar -( direct admit to Oklahoma med school) and also a direct admit program from IIT into an osteopathic med school. Any thoughts or suggestions? We r hearing that he should avoid the DO program if MD Offers are available (however the with the D.O. program he has full tuition scholarship for under grad )
Also, at Oklahoma he has to maintain a 3.69 GPA in the sciences ( I would think he should be ok with that since he did well in high school AP classe) but just wondering how difficult it is to maintain 3.69 in the sciences at Oklahoma.
Thanks for any advice

@NoviceDad We are deciding between MCPHS/LECOM and State University. We have WashU but way too expensive without scholarship.

@NoviceDad

How do you compare going with scholarship to Michiganstate OMSP vs MCPHS/lLECOM vs traditional premed from UFM LSA instate

“@Margo55” Go with OU. It is not difficult to maintain 3.7 GPA. OU has only A,B,C grading system similar to HS.
Did you get any scholarship at OU? OU provides aid for 5 years and can carry forward to any OU master level program including professional programs like MD, JD, MBA. What is your state of residency?
Though OU medical ranking may be low in 70’s, it is one of the oldest medical school 100+ years old. That is the only main teaching-hospital system in the state and hence all types of complex cases comes there. It has almost every residency specialty and if your child does well can do the specialty there.

Disclosure: It is not a biased opinion because my D is MHSP scholar and graduating this May from OU. Rather based on the real experience I observed / heard from her. She was happy (without knowing what she is signing in) 3 years back and she is extremely happy today with whatever happened also. She was NMF and got free tuition for UG.

Interesting you created a handle name with @. Many are going to wonder how to address you! Need to put 2 times @ to get your name. Or put within “” your handle name.

@MaMaTEN Do UofA/Upstate, allows to apply out without losing your seat? Then consider that. I have not looked at upstate program. Hope you reviewed all the details. Are you thinking any particular specialty or planning for Primary care?

Are you comfortable to go with regular route? (it appears with what you stated, you love the liberal arts college and the so many personal benefits you see there). Then you should consider that.

It is hard and it is not hard to get MD in regular cycle. I know you are wondering, what am I talking? Yes, is Earth small or big? The same only here, it is all in the context and the efforts you are willing to put. As long as you are clear what you want and have a thought out plan and ready to execute under any circumstances you can get in.

[QUOTE=""]
Would you say the same for BS/DO? We are deciding between BS/DO and traditional

[/QUOTE]

@DocGirlMom,

I am not a health care professional and so feel it may be better to let physicians and similar on this forum opine.

However based on what I have been hearing, it doesn’t seem to be clear whether the merger of residency match system is going to help or hurt DO applicants. I would have recommend to check current match lists of the DO programs you are interested in and then decide, but that landscape is likely to change going forward and I am not sure how.

I personally don’t distinguish between MD and DO if I were to choose a physician (as I elaborated 3-4 days back in a different context)

MD - DO merger - what i have understood from various articles that medical seats exclusively for DO in current system, will be also open to MD students in future, in that sense MD has more slots to compete, but not sure how that necessarily translates as loss to DO students.

The point of choosing a BSDO program over traditional undergrad would be to remove some of the stress and the chance that the student won’t be accepted to any program after 4 years of undergrad. The trade off is commitment to DO and attending an UG school you might not otherwise pick. I think this is a good trade for a guaranteed MD seat, but it is not necessarily a good trade for a DO Seat. That is NOT because I think MDs are better than DOs. My daughter recently had surgery and both the surgeon and attending were DO. They were both excellent.

The rational is that a strong student probably doesn’t need to make that trade off because DO is easier to get into. Im not saying its EASY. Just that its EASIER. Take a look at average GPA and MCAT score for DO and then decide.