Tips for gaining new perspectives re non-brand name colleges/universities

Thank you all your comments. I’ll be withdrawing for my post now.

I realized that my post could have been more clear. I tried to go back and rewrite it, but it was too late to edit it.
I got great comments that are very helpful to me!

5 Likes

I suggest you not succumb to the peer pressure of not succumbing to peer pressure when you pick a college. Just go with the flow.

3 Likes

One of these statistical categories likely compared standardized scoring profiles (which were similar/identical at Trinity and Wooster). However, in these forums this characteristic of colleges often seems to be disregarded, at least ostensibly, as a meaningful indicator of academic quality.

I am sorry, but your assumptions are actually incorrect. Your post implies that you assume that Wooster students have higher test scores than Trinity students.

However, your assumption is mistaken.

Back before they both were test optional, Trinity students had higher test scores, though comparison is complex, because Wooster students preferred ACT scores, while Trinity students preferred SAT scores.

However, the only thing that the test scores indicate is the fact that Trinity students are wealthier than Wooster students.

Why do I say so?

First, class rankings are identical, and, second, when Trinity was still posting high school GPAs, these GPAs were lower than those of Wooster students, and the average GPA was lower for Trinity students than for Wooster students.

Wooster students ARE academic peers of Trinity students, or even surpass them.

However, test scores are, in a large part, indicators of family income, so disregarding them is the right thing to do.

2 Likes

What I did with my kids is I had them read “Colleges That Change Lives” and talked about about how fit was better than “brand”.

7 Likes

For Colleges that Change Lives there is also a website and fairs. I like Loren Pope’s other book too even though it is old- Looking Beyond the Ivy League or something like that.

1 Like