Transferring from private to public school

<p>On the issue of religion specifically, you offer no facts whatsoever that UW Madison’s undergraduate population is overrun with atheists or that Marquette’s is rigidly Catholic and intolerant. Barrons likes to talk about Wisconsin’s demographics – well, the demographics don’t support your view. It’s clear that your world view is that a public university is by definition more diverse and tolerant than a Catholic one. This is bigotry, not reality.</p>

<p>UW’s FACULTY may have more atheists that Marquette’s, but for the vast majority of disciplines the religious views of a professor are not only irrelevant but probably indiscernible. And it’s worth noting that it’s UW’s faculty more than anyone else who are urging that the school do more to improve diversity. </p>

<p>Which brings me to my final point. Wis75 says we need to “stick to the questions asked.” Well, what’s good for the goose . . . the OP asked how adjusting to UW would be for a “social” person and from a standpoint of where to live. The response from Wis75 was “you’ll have to adjust to diversity.” It’s a patently nonresponsive answer that not only takes a uncalled for swipe at MU but also paints an inaccurate portrait of UW’s undergraduate student body as being more diverse than MU. UW is no more diverse than MU, and I wanted to make sure the OP understood that.</p>

<p>And yeah, there are lots of different types of diversity. If anything, claiming that diversity only involves skin color is in and of itself backwards and narrow minded. For instance, meeting a person from Britain who is white presents far more opportunities for cultural exchange and exposure than meeting a Wisconsinite who is black.</p>

<p>That is just so unfair. I’m being forceful but entirely respectful in expressing my contrary opinion and am in no way violating any CC rules. The UW board, like any other board, shouldn’t be and isn’t limited to posters who are cheerleaders about everything relating to the school. For the record, I happen to think that UW is in many ways a great school with many outstanding academic programs, particularly at the graduate level, but I also think there are significant downsides: it’s too big and beauracratic for many students, it is generally inadequate with financial aid, it has a poor track record on diversity that has hurt its reputation with employers, and its graduation rates lag significantly behind many schools with which it aspires to be a peer. It is not against the laws of CC for me to make any of these points.</p>

<p>For the record, I happen to think that novaparent is in many ways an active member with many lengthy comments, particularly at the UW board, but I also think there are significant downsides: he/she’s too snide and annoying for many students, he/she is generally condescending about the school, he/she has a poor track record on not being called a ■■■■■ by other posters and commenters, and his/her insightfulness and informativeness lag significantly behind many other commenters with which he/she aspires to be a peer. It is not against the laws of CC for me to make any of these points.</p>

<p>novaparent, you are sadly mistaken if you believe your criticism and posts are respectful. You are obstinate and ignore reason and your comments are almost always snide and sarcastic for no reason other than to stir up argument. And of course, when called out on it, you turtle up and claim you are being unfairly attacked.</p>

<p>In other words, a good ■■■■■.</p>