Transferring to WashU as a sophomore

I’m planning to eventually transfer to Washu for neuroscience major after spending one full year at University of Wisconsin Madison. I’m getting mixed results on how likely that will succeed.

One website said transfer acceptance rate is about 20%. Other people said it is extremely difficult to be accepted as a transfer, and they got their rejection letter only days after submitting.

What do you think?

For Fall 2022 transfer admission WashU accepted 272 of 1,559 applicants, a 17% acceptance rate, page 20 on the most recent CDS. https://wustl.edu/wp-content/uploads/2023/07/wustl-cds-2022-2023.pdf

If you apply for WashU for Fall 2024 as a soph transfer, they will use your HS record as an important piece of the evaluation (GPA, Rigor, test scores). Did you apply to WashU last year?

All you can do is control what you can control. Get good grades, and do a WashU transfer admission session if they have those.

Why do you want to transfer?

IMO, you should also give UWisc a chance, it’s a great school with a fantastic neuroscience major. I wouldn’t say WashU’s neuroscience major is > than UWisc’s. You can achieve all your goals from U Wisc.

2 Likes

In general I think it is a terrible idea to start college with the intent of transferring out. This will stand in the way of your making meaningful friendships, developing relationships with professors, and getting involved on campus. Then if your transfer doesn’t work out as planned you will be really stuck. I’d go to UW Madison (a great school) in with the intent of staying all four years. It is fine to throw in a transfer application to WashU but don’t count on it working out.

4 Likes

FWIW, I know a student who was rejected from WashU as a transfer but was accepted to other colleges, including Vanderbilt.

This is my opinion also. @yd1201 you are already in at a great university.

You might want to focus on getting to know your professors, getting involved on campus, and after you have completed a few courses looking for research or internship opportunities.

I guess one question is to what extent will thinking about transferring stop a student from getting fully involved in their current university. This might depend upon the student.

Have you already been accepted to University of Wisconsin, and if so, are you starting now, or fall 2024?

Or are you hoping you will be accepted at University of Wisconsin?

Your other threads make it sound like you are currently applying to colleges, not that you have been accepted already. Could you please clarify?

You wrote this:

That’s exactly why I’m applying to British unis. However, I’m currently living in the US (I wasn’t born here, but I wouldn’t consider myself an international student), so US colleges will be much more convenient.

Adding…you are supposedly an international student who either wants to live off campus or have a single room guaranteed. Will Wisconsin guarantee this?

2 Likes

To add to Thumper’s post- it doesn’t matter what you consider yourself to be. US Colleges have their own definition of US vs. International students. And that’s what matters. So can you clarify your exact status??? There are plenty of people who were born overseas who ARE considered US students (and plenty who are not). So what is your status exactly?

This topic was automatically closed 180 days after the last reply. If you’d like to reply, please flag the thread for moderator attention.