Tuition Exchange for Fall 2023 (Class of 2027)

Some cover study abroad. My son is at PC on TE and when he studied abroad tuition was covered.

3 Likes

My son is really interested in study abroad so we have been looking at this closely. If he has multiple good choices at the end of the process, it may be a deciding factor.

In addition to different schools having a variety of policies, whether the TE will cover study abroad also seems to vary depending on which study abroad location/program students choose within a school. For example, Xavier’s website explains: “Study Abroad Programs are excluded from the Tuition Exchange Program, unless the student is billed tuition for the program by Xavier University.”

My understanding is that if your student chooses to attend one of the few Xavier “satellite” locations abroad it will be covered. My own university is similar, where we have one site that is considered a campus abroad, and then all other study abroad programs are similar to students attending other universities, as my school pays the other university tuition $$. Very muddy for students trying to make decisions!

3 Likes

Our home school requested that we let them know if we decide not to apply to any that we had indicated we would.

1 Like

Schools don’t like to pay out money. My daughter’s scholarships (not TE) could be used for things like tuition, room, board, fees but not for things that the school would have to write a check for, like health insurance, rent off campus, tuition at another school. If the tuition for study abroad was through the school, you could use scholarship money but not if it was paid to another school.

Other child did study abroad and her scholarships could be used to pay for study abroad fees. Her school only billed a small fee for recording the credits (even though the school sponsored the program and teachers from her school traveled to England to teach the courses) and the rest was paid to a company. The college gave me the scholarship money, loan money, etc and I paid the company. This was a nightmare come tax time as they didn’t consider ANY of this tuition but a whole bunch of fees (library, transportation, housing). I didn’t take the education tax credit for that year because I couldn’t figure it all out.

1 Like

Thanks everyone for the helpful responses. Didn’t realize the info was available on the tuition exchange site.

1 Like

Hello- new here. Following this great thread for children graduating HS in 2024. Any recommendations for TE schools that would not be a long shot for a child with ACT 34-35/4.0 unweighted GPA at a (very) liberal, medium to small sized school with a good engineering/math focus? Already considering USC, Case, GWU, Pitt, Rose Hulman (midwest is close to home), possibly adding Villanova. Lots of those seem like low probability for TE, even with a strong academic record and lots of APs and would like to increase chances of TE options. Syracuse was too cold/big. Where else should we look? TIA!

1 Like

I don’t have TE for our family, but a large portion of my son’s classmates do in a limited LAC network, so I am watching this thread.
Are you saying your child’s current school is very liberal or that you are looking for a very liberal college? Because the people I know who have students at Rose-Hulman (an excellent school) are quite conservative by national standards (not by local standards though.) Just an FYI that I have the impression RH leans conservative --which may be a plus or minus depending on your family. Disclaimer: I can also be wrong about this.

2 Likes

Thank you for the comments! We have heard the same about Rose, and for clarification are looking for a liberal college environment for a variety of reasons (current HS is liberal also :slight_smile: ). With full recognition that is hard to assess at any school, we are looking for a welcoming environment for our student. It would be great to consider other TE schools that aren’t quite as competitive as those already on the list.

I would not bother with Villanova. We got a letter after her TE submission but before she applied saying they had received it but had fewer than usual TE to give and priority was for upperclassmen who were already students, that they typically receive about 300 qualified TE apps and may not have any to give. Mine decided not to apply.

2 Likes

You may want to look at Lafayette College in PA. Was impressed with the faculty, campus and academics when we toured. You might want to consider Fordham. (Challenging to find those mid-size schools!). Also thought of Occidental-very liberal, welcoming, and has a gorgeous campus but they only give out a couple of TE awards each year.

And yes, the weather in Syracuse was a deal breaker for my kiddo as well!

2 Likes

Marquette or SLU. The Jesuits tend to be pretty liberal social justice warrior types.

2 Likes

With a few schools excluded as I believed them to be rather on the conservative side, these are tuition exchange schools that award TE to 11-40% or more of the eligible students that are ABET-accredited for multiple engineering fields. If a general “Engineering” accredidation works, then there would be some additional schools that fall onto this list. You would need to do additional research about campus vibe and how “liberal” each of these schools is.

• Alfred (NY): 41-60%, full tuition

• Case Western (OH): 11-40%, set rate

• Clarkson (NY): 11-40%, full tuition

• Illinois Institute of Technology: 11-40%, set rate

• Kettering (MI): 11-40%, full tuition

• Merrimack (MA): 11-40%, full tuition

• New York Institute of Technology: 11-40%, full tuition

• Norwich (VT): 11-40%, full tuition

• Point Park (PA ): 11-40%, set rate

• Rochester Institute of Technology (NY): 11-40%, set rate

• Rockhurst (MO): 11-40%, full tuition

• Stevens Institute of Technology (NJ): 41-60%, set rate

• U. of Hartford (CT): 11-40%, full tuition

• U. of Mount Union (OH): 11-40%, full tuition

• U. of the Pacific (CA): 11-40%, other tuition

• Widener (PA ): 41-60%, full tuition

• Wilkes (PA ): 11-40%, full tuition

• York (PA ): 11-40%, full tuition

4 Likes

Feel free to PM me. We’re going through this process this year with our liberal son applying to engineering schools. Our initial process considered LOTS of TE engineering programs, so I can probably help you start a list. And @AustenNut’s post is gold, as usual.

4 Likes

Based on advice upthread, you might write Villanova and see how many they give. I think another parent said it was too few so they didn’t apply. Things change so my advice is to write them this fall to ask how many 2024 scholarships they are likely to have. It’s a lot of work
Based on this cycle, I can tell you Case is generous with merit and TE. Pitt and possibly Villanova are not.

How about exploring Elon and BU? Is Drexel on the list?

3 Likes

Thanks to all for these great suggestions! That’s interesting that Case is generous with TE and merit - their website makes it seem like they do not stack. We are going to see BU in May. We will check out all of the rest of the above!

Hi there,
Just curious- did Fairfield call or mail you info about the FACHEX award? My daughter ED there, and we just deposited to save her spot…but we really need the FACHEX award to make the numbers work. I know that Fairfield said they’d let us know by April 15th, so I am glad that your son has heard already! She’s also a nursing major, so I am curious to see if they award FACHEX to that major as I know they will have no problem filling her slot, if we pull out. I am debating calling Fairfield to find out more…any insight you have is greatly appreciated!
Waiting on FACHEX for Marquette, University of Scranton and Fairfield. This is a marathon, not a sprint…

My son received a direct email and I was cc’d on it from Fairfield letting us know that he had received it. I also received an automatically generated email from the TE/FACHEX website to my work email, as they had updated his status to “accepted” on the website within about 20 minutes of sending us the initial email. I just checked and the FACHEX grant is not listed in his admissions portal yet, although it’s been 10 days. As an FYI-- Fairfield is a top 5 school for my S23 but not number one, so if other schools come through with TE/FACHEX or good financial aid, we would decline it. We are going to be very diligent about only “holding” one TE, as we know most schools move down the waitlist, and this is what Fairfield said in their email.

1 Like

PS - maybe you meant EA not ED? My son also used EA not ED at Fairfield, so he could compare financial aid offers and see if he was going to get TE/FACHEX. We didn’t want to be forced to pull out our applications elsewhere.

Did you reach out to Fairfield before you applied ED?
We were advised by a different school that if we needed the tuition exchange award in order to make the school affordable, we should NOT apply ED since the TE awards are competitive.

We did not reach out to Fairfield yet. She decided ED because it was her top choice and wanted to convey that to the admissions committee. I think when she applied, we were not aware just how competitive the FACHEX awards were and we naively assumed that many were awarded from the Jesuit schools as an employee benefit. It’s frustrating too as my husband works at Holy Cross and they don’t offer nursing, so she has to apply elsewhere in order to use her benefit. Sigh. I want to call Fairfield, but they are closed for the holiday today. I honestly don’t even know what to say to them at this point. I didn’t realize award notifications had gone out yet. Do they give you a set amount of time to hold onto the FACHEX before you have to decide yay or nay? Thank you for all the help!