Tuition Exchange for Fall 2024 (Class of 2028)

Starting a thread for tuition exchange Fall 2024. It looks like this has worked well in past years to support each other and share info.

My daughter will be graduating HS in Spring 2024 and we are in the process of deciding which tuition exchange schools she will apply to.

3 Likes

Thanks for starting this. We were able to take advantage of TE for my D20 and hope to be able to try again for D24. I will not find out until mid-September whether I will be one of the 5 exports (drawn by lottery) my employer will sponsor. So, will just be watching the thread for now.

Edited to add: The TE schools on her list are Stevens Institute of Technology, Syracuse and RIT. She’ll apply to Stevens and RIT regardless of whether we can apply for TE, but Syracuse will come off the list if TE isn’t a possibility.

4 Likes

My S23 was awarded TE at RIT and Syracuse. Feel free to PM me if you have any questions.

4 Likes

Thank you for starting this thread! I’ve been reading the 2023 TE thread which is so helpful. We have twins graduating in 2024 and are still putting together a good list. Both kiddos are looking for a liberal/LGBTQ friendly environment. They attend a small progressive private school in a city in a mostly rural Midwest state. I’d love any feedback on the lists we have going so far:

Twin A:
36 ACT (superscore, 35 single sitting)
4.17/4.33 UW/W Gpa
AP BC Calc -5
APUSH —5
AP World (independent) -4
AP physics e/m -4
Dual credit English as Junior
3 more APs this year.
2 varsity sports
State level quick recall
Drama/musical theater all 4 years
LGBTQ Co-pres
Merit scholarship winner at their school
Governor’s scholar summer program.
Senior project on math/acoustics

Wants urban environment that isn’t in the south and not too far north, honors/challenging program but not a technology only school. Undeclared engineering.

TE:
GW - loves the city
USC - older sister lives in LA area
Occidental (really excited about this - hasn’t yet visited)
Pitt- visited and really liked it
Case - probably too cold but like it a lot
Temple
Rose Hulman

Visited but did not like Bucknell, Syracuse.

Non-TE
Princeton
Wash U
Purdue
Maybe a few other reach schools

We know there are quite a few reach schools. What would you add on TE side?

Twin B
34 ACT one sitting (not taking again)
3.13/3.25 UW/W gpa
APUSH 4 (got a C in the class)
Dual credit English
2 APs this year
1 varsity sport x 4 years
Drama/crew
Science Olympiad at state level
State quick recall (likely team captain this year)
Twice exceptional/ADHD

Wants to study geography on the path to Urban planning. Likes bigger cities and cold. Less interested in California.

TE:
Sarah Lawrence
GW
Clark (top choice, likely not competitive for TE though)
SLU
Temple
Loyola Chicago
Pitt
Valparaiso
Syracuse

Non-TE
University of Cincinnati
Butler

We know that TE is a long shot at many of these schools so any thoughts on others would be greatly appreciated!

1 Like

For Twin A

Whether it will be some other major, or whether engineering “sticks”, the co-ed university catalogue will cover it all:

https://barnard.edu/beyond-barnard/4plus1-pathways/4plus1-pathway-engineering

It’s a reach for everyone, but they are seeking out exceptional young women!

Adding a link to the results spreadsheet from 2023 class. I think this will be helpful for the coming year.

3 Likes

I am new here but have lurked for a while. D24 applying to CIC schools in New England with art and/or design majors. She is a very average student, ~3.0 but all As in art classes. Because of grades, the schools (and especially the TE waivers will be a reach). Does anyone have experience with average kids getting exchange at Curry, Lesley, Endicott, Wheaton, or Roger Williams?

Plan B /C is to go to my employing school or to go as a resident to a Maine community college We are planning on paying room and board, even if she stays local.

For Twin B, I would investigate these schools which all have a geography major (and sometimes an urban planning/studies one):

• Aquinas (MI): 41-60% of TE applicants receive a scholarship at this Grand Rapids school.
  • Augustana (IL): 41-60% of TE applicants receive a scholarship, and the quad cities area has about 400k people.
  • Carthage (WI): 41-60% receive TE. 44m from Milwaukee and 1h15m from Chicago and Kenosha itself has a population of around 100k.
  • DePaul (IL): 11-40% of TE applicants receive a scholarship at this Chicago school
  • Gustavus Adolphus (MN): 41-60% of TE applicants receive a scholarship. Not urban, but about 45m or so to the Twin Cities.
  • Mount Holyoke (MA): 11-40% receive TE. Depending on how your child identifies, this school could be an option. It identifies as, " gender diverse and welcomes applications from female, transgender and non-binary students," (source). Not super urban, but it’s part of a relationship with U. Mass, Amherst, Smith, and Hampshire.
  • Ohio Wesleyan: 11-40% receive TE at this school just outside of Columbus
  • Park (MO): 41-60% receive TE. This school is in a suburb just outside of Kansas City.
  • U. of St. Thomas (MN): Less than 10% of TE applicants receive a scholarship.

I’ll think about Twin A another time. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Wow - thank you so much. This is great! We really appreciate your insight. Have a great week!

2 Likes

@Sfa2024

For Twin A

Occidental doesn’t have any ABET-accredited engineering options, so depending on what area(s) of engineering your twin is interested in, that could be an issue. Additionally, Rose-Hulman is very much not an urban environment; it’s on the outskirts of a small town.

These are all schools that are ABET-accredited (usually in multiple fields, unless indicated otherwise). There are a number of Catholic schools on the list, as Roman Catholics tended to put their universities in cities. Most Jesuit schools tend to be socially liberal and progressive (though not universally). On this list, the Jesuits are Seattle, Gonzaga, all the Loyolas, Fairfield, Saint Louis, and Rockhurst. I’m not sure which religious orders some of the other Catholic schools are, though. For any college, particularly those with a religious affiliation, looking at their mission and the “About Us” section can be a good indication whether the campus might be a good fit.

I don’t know how important TE is to your family’s finances. Obviously, most of these schools are very competitive for TE, but Twin A will be an extremely strong candidate. Where your twin is significantly stronger than the typical applicant pool, I would think your twin would have higher odds. For instance, though Fairfield and Quinnipiac both have less than 10% odds of receiving TE, I’d think your twin’s odds would be much better at the latter than the former.

• Bradley (IL): full tuition, less than 10% receive TE

• Drexel (PA ): Set rate, less than 10% receive TE; this school is very co-op focused

• Fairfield (CT): Other tuition, less than 10% receive TE

• Gonzaga (WA): Set rate, less than 10% receive

• Lafayette (PA ): It’s in the Allentown metro (pop. 865k), and 90m from both NYC and Philly. Set rate, less than 10% receive TE.

• Loyola Chicago (IL): Set rate, below 10% receive TE; only accredited for general engineering

• Loyola Maryland: Other tuition, below 10% receive; only accredited for general engineering

• Loyola Marymount (CA): full tuition, less than 10% receive TE.

• Quinnipiac (CT): Set rate, less than 10% receive TE

• Point Park (PA ): Set rate, 11-40% receive TE; only accredited in electrical and mechanical engineering as well as civil engineering technology.

• Rockhurst (MO): Full tuition, 11-40% receive TE

• Saint Louis (MO): Full tuition, 11-40% receive TE

• Santa Clara (CA): set rate, less than 10% receive TE

• Seattle (WA): Full tuition, less than 10% receive TE

• St. Ambrose (IA): Only ABET-accredited for industrial engineering and mechanical engineering. In the same metro as Augustana for Twin B (3.7 miles away, but different state). Full tuition, 11-40% receive.

• Trinity (CT): Only ABET-accredited for general engineering; set rate, less than 10% receive TE

• U. of Dayton (OH): Much milder weather than Cleveland; set rate, below 10% receive

• U. of Portland (OR): Full tuition, below 10% receive

• U. of the Pacific (CA): Set rate, 11-40% receive TE

• U. of San Diego (CA): full tuition, less than 10% receive TE

• Villanova (PA ): set rate, less than 10% receive TE

• Wilkes (PA ): full tuition, 11-40% receive. The metro area it’s in has 560k people and it’s about 2h from both NYC and Philly

3 Likes

I’ll just add that Loyola Marymount in LA changed their criteria for tuition exchange in 2023-- making it even more competitive. In 2022, TE awards were given to freshmen and transfer students only. Last year–they opened it up so currently enrolled sophomores, juniors, and seniors who were not on TE were now eligible to apply/receive award. There were a few high stats students last admission cycle on cc (including my daughter) that applied but did not receive tuition exchange. My hunch is that current LMU students are now given priority over freshmen for TE.

For Twin A, Widener would be a safety, has multiple ABET-accredited engineering majors, and awards full tuition TE to 41-60%. Another safety with ABET-accredited engineering, York College of PA, awards full tuition TE to 11-40%.

2 Likes

Thanks so much again! This is a great list. We have also added University of Delaware for both.

Occidental is on the list due to their 3+2 engineering program with Caltech or Columbia, combined with the solid Liberal arts background which still interests Twin A. That would mean only 3 years of TE though, and they favor ED which will not be possible.

Our export school only allows us to choose 8 TE schools, so we will have some decisions to make!

FWIW, twin A’s plan right now is to apply to Pitt by early September, to potentially have some pressure off, if accepted, understanding TE is a long shot and won’t be announced right away.

2 Likes

Hi all!

I noticed that someone posted this already, but I’ll do it again with more context. After going through the TE process this past year (see the 2023 thread), I created the following excel sheet for all of you who would go through the 2024 process. One of the biggest complaints we had was having little information. Going through TE as a process is mysterious and there are few points of information to use. I’d highly recommend that you scan the Tuition Exchange 2023 thread, and even the ones before that for 2022. There’s lots of good info in there.

The excel sheet tries to help with that, and pull together everything we learned through that 2023 year; not just the standard info on schools, but also which stacked aid, how many awards the school gave out (note that the “below 10%” figure often cited is usually optimistic - for some schools, it’s more like 2%), when notifications went out, and most importantly, whose kids were awarded TE awards where (go to the far right on the sheet), and so on. This last piece of info is probably most useful. You’ll see at the top of each column the Kiddo’s stats, and then below where they got TE, and where they were rejected or waitlisted. This is really helpful, as it provides a better feeling for what you should expect from those schools. One of the things we all noted going through the process - if your kiddo took a standardized test, it is generally true that your best shot at TE is to be in the 75% for the SAT/ACT. That’s what I used to frame my D23’s TE list, and expectations for each of the schools.

Good luck on your search! It’s a long process, there are long periods of silence, and then it all kind of happens really fast. It’s a rollercoaster. I’m glad to be done until Kiddo #2 has to apply in four years.

Also, note that the excel sheet is open for revision and addition, so feel free to make changes to it as the need arises.

Excel Dad

6 Likes

Hi Everyone!
Has anyone gotten any intel on what tuition exchange will look like for this year for Villanova? I followed some threads that suggested that so few students get it that it’s not even worth it to consider Villanova if you’re hoping for TE. But I noticed that they used to award to already enrolled students, and this year it switched to freshmen only. I was hoping that might mean that there have been some shifts in TE at Villanova where a few more freshmen might get it. Who knows, but I figured I’d throw it out there since I know some folks email the TE officers directly and get intel. :slight_smile:

Thank you so much for sharing this information! So incredibly kind!

Thank you for starting this thread! This is my second time around with the exchange and I am not looking forward to repeating the process. :frowning: I have a D24, GPA 3.99 UW, 7 AP, and 1100 on the SAT. Test taking is not her strength, unfortunately. She has a ton of ECs: varsity soccer 4 years, team captain x2, class president 3 years, NHS, etc. Does anyone have experience with applying test-optional for TE schools? I have a feeling it will negatively impact her chances if she does this but may have no choice.

Aquinas is in my city. It is in a great location and the Grand Rapids metro area has a ton of things to do. Also, only 45 minutes from great beaches on Lake Michigan. Small, good school. Has a strong education program and for sustainable business.

1 Like

You’re welcome! The parents in the 2023 thread owed a gratitude to the ones in the 2022 thread; this is just a way to pay it forward. Good luck with your search!

1 Like

Oh boy, looks like I have a lot of reading to do. We are completely new to TE as my older daughter just did tuition remission. Feeling overwhelmed already. So glad there is some information by those that have gone through it.

We did just put in our application at our school for the schools my daughter likes:

Depaul - not visited
Drexel - Visited and liked
George Washington - not visited
Syracuse - Visited and liked
Seattle University - Visited and liked
Seton hall - Visited and liked
Temple - Visited and liked
Willamette - Visited, liked and being recruited for track team

We are on the west coast so really would love something closer to home but who knows.

Thanks for the excel sheet and I will go read the 2023 forum

2 Likes