Tulane University Early Decision / Early Action for Fall 2023 Admission

My D received the Paul Tulane on 2019, the letter said that 20 students were offered the award. She received a letter in Jan 31.
Has anyone received these awards this year?

Their website says late February for decisions.

3 Likes

Yes, canā€™t log in here either.

Quite frankly, the idea of ā€œhonors scholarsā€ in 2022 (and especially at Tulane) feels like something of an antiquated notion when most admitted students are coming in averaging 1500+ boards and 3.8+ GPAs.

LOL, so the rest of the incoming class (many of them paying as much as $70k/yr) have no access to any of these experiences? How do they rank the ā€œtop 10% of the admitted class?ā€ Would love to see what equation looks like.

ā€œThis programming is offered to help Honors Scholars establish an academic foundation for their undergraduate years at Tulane. Everyone else, go tee off at the back end of the green.ā€

5 Likes

The increasingly uniform high levels of achievement in admitted classes is why the Honors program has been evolving the way it has over the past few years and why there is discussion about it no longer being necessary and potentially going away.

4 Likes

@pishicaca yeah, that sounds about right.

1 Like

Are you admitted?

Iā€™m deferred EA and I still have access to mine.

Yes, admitted EA. Portal is working now. Appeared to be a temporary glitch.

My son didnā€™t get the scholarship in 2019 BUT he got a partial. They said his project was strong and while he didnā€™t get the full scholarship they gave him partial for it! Good LUCK to those how applied this year!

3 Likes

So far Iā€™m pleased with Tulaneā€™s info etc. We go to visit during that scholars weekend thing in March. (I know the program isnā€™t the same as it once was but they allow you to actually MEET with a counselor and sign up for classes even if you didnā€™t commit yet! :scream:
Where did your son live freshman year and how is he liking it? Major interest, etc. From what part of the world? TIA

My Son is a Senior and loves it! He lived in Butler and then Aron and has lived off campus on Palmer for the last two years.
Weighted GPA 4.5
ACT 32
NHS, Band, Dual Credit classes and only one AP class
He was admitted EA in '19.
He has been involved in the marching band (Drumline/bassline leader) and has had amazing opportunitiesā€¦they were invited to and participated in the Worldā€™s Fair in Dubai last Thanksgiving and then the Cotton Bowl this year! He also works for the video department for the football team.
Heā€™s a DMP/Film major and a fine arts minor. Heā€™s continuing on to grade school at Tulaneā€¦with the hope to keep working for the football/video department.
FWIWā€¦
My daughter was just accepted EA for fall of '23ā€¦weā€™re going to an admitted student day March 3rd
She submitted test optional
Weighted GPA of 4.4
Dual credits, No AP
Sheā€™s a dance/theatre kid and is planning to major in Musical Theatre & Dance.
Weā€™re from The Upstate of South Carolina
I canā€™t say enough about how positive our experience has been at Tulane!
Iā€™ll happily answer any other questions if anyone has any!
#Rollwave

8 Likes

thank you!!
As of right now my DD has Tulane as her number one pick. Sheā€™s into communications, etc. but likes the ability to have a more open curriculum. (Sheā€™s auto admit to UT Austin but is awaiting honors college info there but I think she just wants out or Texas for a change of pace. Also the smaller size bc TX is HUGE)
Iā€™ll definitely keep you in mind just in case we wind up at Tulane.
I donā€™t think sheā€™ll do sororities (not her bag) but will definitely get involved there. She loves culture and food so NOLA is a great place for that!

4 Likes

Do you know why your son was considered for ED2 instead of RD? Did you do anything specific after getting deferred?

When Tulane differed students they gave every student the option after EA deferral to go ED2. It was in the portal to switch to ED2 if the student wishes too.

They donā€™t pick and choose who can go ED2. Anyone can, even an RD student.

It seems that this personā€™s son applied ED1. I was under the impression that students who were deferred from ED1 could not switch to ED2 like an EA applicant?

oh, didnā€™t realize that they applied ED1. Yes you are correct, you cannot do both ED1 and ED2.

Please give opinions on UT Austin, UNC and Tulane Honors , UPitt Honors College

Goal: medical school

all great, all equal for med-school purposes. academics wonā€™t be the deciding factor- go with finances and preference.

Pitt and UT are very urban.

UT has very little green space on campus but students love Austin. big time school spirit. very little cold weather but can get stiflingly hot. many freshman live off campus, especially the Greek cohort. this was a turnoff for my daughter and ultimately why she didnā€™t choose UT.

Pitt has more green space. smaller than UT student population, maybe less overwhelming. good school spirit but not like UT and sports teams less successful lately. hospital access for shadowing and stuff is right there. long grey winters. kids really take advantage of the city and there are many outdoor things to boith in and around Pittsburgh. Iā€™m not sure how much the honors college changes the experience there but it canā€™t hurt.

Tulane kids seem very happy and get involved in many things on and off campus. If you choose Tulane itā€™s really about choosing the unique experience of living in NOLA for 4 years, although the campus is not really in the urban part of the city. I liked it more than my kid did. you hear conflicting opinions on how bad (or good?) the party scene is. but personally I feel like NOLA offers plenty of other things to do besides drink and party.

I canā€™t really comment on UNC but in the NJ area it is considered quite prestigious. Is that your state school?