Two of the four NYT people kidnapped in Libya

<p>Are UW alums--just a 2 time Pulitzer winner and a MacArthur Grant and Pulitzer winner. Very impressive.</p>

<p>Two</a> UW graduates among 4 New York Times journalists missing in Libya - JSOnline</p>

<p>You’re seriously using the occasion of the alarming disappearance of two journalists who happen to have UW connections to tout UW on College Confidential?</p>

<p>Wow. I thought I’d seen it all.</p>

<p>I have to agree with novaparent. Barrons, this is a low move, even for you. I hope that other potential UW students don’t see this and think that all graduates and students of UW are so lacking of empathy as you have shown here. Show a little responsibility (and maturity) the next time you post. Think about the reputation that you are smearing in the mud. Being a well-respected University is more than just ranking highly in college polls, but showing how respectful and mature the students are that graduate from that center of education.</p>

<p>When iI posted (20th) it had already been announced (19th) that they were safe and would be released Today (Monday) which they have been. You all need to keep up with the news–they were no longer in any danger and it’s very exciting that our outstanding alums are out on the cutting edge of Pulitzer winning journalism. Nerxt time I’ll spoonfeed you so you have all the facts before getting your panties in a bunch. Both have been in war zones before.</p>

<p><a href=“http://www.politicaltours.com/photography/lynsey-addario[/url]”>http://www.politicaltours.com/photography/lynsey-addario&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p&gt;

<p>Oh give me a break. If you did in fact know that the two journalists were in fact safe you would not have posted an article that said the four are missing. Don’t even pretend to have been more interested in the fact that they were safe than the fact that they were UW graduates. It is typical barrons behavior to make everything out to sound like UW is some sort of Harvard. I’m proud of my school, no doubt, but I don’t disguise the fact that people’s lives are being put in jeopardy to point out that they are UW grads. You intentions are all wrong. “It’s very exciting that our outstanding alums are out on the cutting edge of Pulitzer winning journalism.” Honestly? You seem more excited that UW could be associated with more pulitzer prize winning alums than the fact that these peoples’ lives were in jeopardy. You either a) did not know that they were safe or b) did not find it important enough to point it out and were more preoccupied advertising them.</p>

<p>I have to say, I agree with Barrons on this one and think the two of you are a prime example of why we don’t get credit where credit is due on many accounts.</p>

<p>“Oh give me a break. If you did in fact know that the two journalists were in fact safe you would not have posted an article that said the four are missing.”</p>

<p>I knew they had been found safe (thankfully), but had also been following the story from the beginning (I confess, largely because I had read the same article Barrons posted). I could be wrong, but I believe Barrons posted this SPECIFIC article because it was the only one which indicated the two were UW alum. </p>

<p>“It is typical barrons behavior to make everything out to sound like UW is some sort of Harvard. I’m proud of my school, no doubt, but I don’t disguise the fact that people’s lives are being put in jeopardy to point out that they are UW grads.”</p>

<p>I take serious issue with this as a friend of journalists who have come into harms way while doing their jobs in The Philippines. These individuals are passionate about the work they do and to simply sum it up as “their lives are being put into jeopardy” is a gross misunderstanding of what it means to be a true journalist and the grit and determination behind their decisions (at least the decisions of the REALLY, really good ones).</p>

<p>“You seem more excited that UW could be associated with more pulitzer prize winning alums than the fact that these peoples’ lives were in jeopardy.”</p>

<p>I agree with Barron’s original intent to highlight some incredible journalists risking their lives in their line of work and there is no fault in highlighting that our incredible journalism school played a factor in their professional development. You read about cutting-edge researchers, groundbreaking doctors, and bigwigs in corporate America who came out of UW. Unfortunately, it takes a story like this to draw attention to the accomplishments of these two journalists and for that, I’m grateful. None of us can know for sure, but I hope that each of these journalists would cite UW as a primary influence in their journalism careers.</p>

<p>Maybe a little opportunistic and insensitive to post it without a “ps They’re home safe,” but honestly, Barrons has always been about EFFICIENTLY throwing breaking news, articles, and important new data/information into this great forum for all of US to interpret and debate ad nauseum.</p>

<p>I’m grateful for it. And honestly, all FOUR of these journalists deserve any bit of attention they receive and I avidly await the telling of their stories. They’re aggressively fighting for the information you all so desperately seek to absorb–all without leaving the comfort of the chair you’re sitting in.</p>

<p>I would agree with MNBadger on this. Keep it coming Barrons!</p>