Two Topics in One (Pretending to be African-American; leadership skills)

<p>Haha @crimsonchin. I just smile and nod in class. I just can’t wait until we ALL find out what really played out. There will be a lot of angry IB kids this year, that’s all I’m gonna say.</p>

<p>

I had always planned to do that until recently. I leave my race off of everything, so I just figured I would for colleges too. Then I realized I only left race off because it was race, not because I thought AA was unfair (which I do). Because if I didn’t want advantages based on things I can’t control (parents, race, money, etc.), I wouldn’t be so happy that I’m legacy at an Ivy.</p>

<p>“Why don’t YOU tick “other” then you’ll always know AA didn’t get you in anywhere?”</p>

<p>Because when all is said and done…AA may be an admissions advantage that this student wants to use. Although she is willing to use whatever advantage that may result from AA, it seems as though she doesn’t want anyone to think that it may have actually helped her.</p>

<p>I don’t think anyone should deny their race. If you don’t check, then don’t interview either (are you going to wear a mask?) don’t have an ethnic sounding name, live in an area than is high URM’s (they look at that too), belong to any clubs/church groups that have a leaning that way, the list goes on. Doesn’t it sound silly?
Be who you are, if colleges want you a little more for that reason, they wouldn’t choose a white student to take your place, anymore than they would choose someone from Mass. if they wanted west coast.</p>

<p>“they would choose someone from Mass. if they wanted west coast.”
So being from the west coast could be as advantageous as being an URM?</p>

<p>Yes it can…I know a couple of students that were offered (with the same stats) different offers from the same school because one was geographically wanted. At one east coast LAC a white male student was offered a large scholarship if he “would come East” from CA when students with his stats from the same school were offered less because they came from the area. Some colleges make it known if you apply from outside of an area, you have an extra checkmark. Now if you are a URM and geographically in that realm, maybe it matters, maybe it doesn’t, depends on what the school wants.
I know my sisters are “courted” by schools that would have to fly too, but for now, don’t want to be that far away.</p>

<p><a href=“at%20the%20end%20of%20the%20day,%20no%20matter%20what%20you%20check,%20they’ll%20play%20the%20race%20card”>quote</a>

[/quote]
</p>

<p>But, you expect the race card to favor you, right? Not those merely ‘African’ guys.</p>

<p>BRJ-CT: If being from the West means being from CA, it’s more of a disadvantage than anything. CA is overrepresented, so it’s harder, not easier to get in. Being from a state like Montana, West Virginia, Utah, any state that sends few people to OOS or Top 20 schools is an advantage.
And if it’s a public school, OOS is a disadvantage on the whole. Even top schools give a little boost to local (note that I didn’t say in-state) students to boost town and gown relations. Outside of causation, local students will have a higher acceptance rate at almost any school because they’re more likely to be the children of alumni and staff.</p>

<p>To the person who asked us to tick other, why don’t people pretend they are not legacies?</p>

<p>BRJ-CT: If being from the West means being from CA, it’s more of a disadvantage than anything. CA is overrepresented, so it’s harder, not easier to get in. Being from a state like Montana, West Virginia, Utah, any state that sends few people to OOS or Top 20 schools is an advantage"</p>

<p>I actually did mean CA, the student was from there and going to NJ. The must not have had many from CA at their school. I know from my high school, the further students went (non-athletes) the more money they seemed to get. I agree though, CA is not the best example. It of course isn’t a given in any situation. One smart guy from my highschool got into Yale and not Stanford which he thought was a better bet being from Yale’s neighborhood.
I also agree, most students would not lie and say they didn’t have a legacy in the family, an influential friend, or sibling.
I think my GC sent a photo of me winning a not so common,competition, so not checking a box wouldn’t have worked or any interviews or visits I made. Just think it’s silly as I said.</p>

<p>@sorghum- I never said I wanted/needed the race card to favor me, and one of the African guys IS using his race for favor. Hence, joining BSU and wanting presidency. Point blank, why would I check other knowing that I’m African-American…I’m not ashamed of who I am or where I come from, but I don’t think I should be attacked for getting into a college based off of race when it’s a HOLISTIC approach. All I’m saying is, I know that no matter what is done, race is always on the back of everyone, at least in my surroundings, minds. I don’t care, I’m just acknowledging how it is. So your argument to “tick” someone off by NOT including my race would prove invalid regardless b/c 1. I don’t need to prove anything to anyone 2. I AM african-american, and I feel like the other box is there for people who genuinely can’t find a box that encompasses everything they want to put or for people like you who want to tick someone off…BeautifulNerd219 has not the time or care to try to tick people off. I’ll tick them off when I graduate (lol; it’s a joke fyi). End of story.</p>

<p>Agreed. Check that “race card” with pride, because it’s who you are. And don’t let any jealous CCers tell you otherwise.</p>

<p>^ See, you get my point. Lol I just had the urge to type “All my life I had to fight.” I’m sorry you guys, humor keeps me going. I can’t be all stressed out from school, so I like to laugh and keep my spirits up.</p>

<p>agreed, i think when it asks where you’re from or what ethnicity you are you should just check what it is. no bs’ing around, just truth.</p>

<p>btw about your other post, college is not so hollistic. it’s heavily based on numbers like gpa and sat. that’s what they really want. unless you have something else really special like a great mile time, you need the numerical stats. the other stuff is just filler to know more about you after they’ve established you can do the work. the stats are important which lead to more stats like graduation rate, yield, and college standardized test scores. they want the numbers more than anything else.</p>

<p>Yeah, numbers are important. But if you think about it, if someone doesn’t have the numbers, odds are they’re not going to apply to top schools, so what’s next under that: the ACTUAL person. It’s a given that most students who apply to top schools are of course at top status, so I think it is much more holistic in order to find well-rounded kids and not kids who are so focused on school, they have no social skills.</p>

<p>i agree that the person does matter, a lot. but i mean don’t most kids apply early decision to a reach school? and by the definition of reach school, you may be slightly or highly underqualified. personally, i think that the numbers are a good place to start so that an admissions officer can determine if the kid can handle the school. obviously a 2.0 student wouldn’t be able to hack it at harvard princeton or yale. after it’s been determined from gpa sat sat 2’s etc… that a student can handle the work, then i think the importance of what ec’s you’ve done, what you’re essay is like, and what they gathered from your interview. a variety of different people with different skills is important, but the ability to do the work at that school trumps all. after all we are still going to college to learn despite all of the other activities we can do there.</p>

<p>Ugh. I overheard two kids in my class talking about that a couples days ago. The guys was like, “He’s half black I think (not talking about me). He’ll probably get into college because of that.” Then was girl said, “Yeah, that’s what I hate. All these people who’ve been through like tragic ****…” She was interupted then and subject was changed, but I know she was going to say we get things so much more easily. If she actually had gotten the phrase out I probably would’ve told her off. I hate the ignorance.</p>

<p>i woulda just told her half counts imo, and there’s nothing she can do about it</p>

<p>True story: kid from my HS was a dark Indian; wrote on app that he was Ghanan, and he was accepted by Stanford. He then blabbed to a jealous classmate who spilled the beans to his high school counselor. I think his acceptance was rescinded.</p>