U Chicago Yield and Admit Rate Break All-Time Record for Class of 2026

You could have HYP or S as your top choice and be unable to apply EA or ED1 to U Chicago. And if you are deferred at your REA or have a second choice that doesn’t do ED2, you wouldn’t necessarily want to ED2 to U Chicago.

3 Likes

You can only apply to ONE school ED. So according to your logic, one should apply to one highly selective school and sit back and hope for ED acceptance - and NOT apply RD anywhere else?

4 Likes

Not on this thread, but I’ve seen it elsewhere on CC. Some is pretty justified, like criticism is the lack of transparency in Chicago admissions, but others are as I described “no, you’ll never be an Ivy-equivalent, no matter how you try, so nya nya”.

I was looking at a thread from 2019 (out of curiosity), and a poster mused as to how long the thread would last until it was shut down. That does indicate that discussions of UC tend to get, shall we say, rowdy.

I don’t think that this is a general attitude among U Chicago students, alumni, and parents. I have a feeling that it is a particular CC phenomenon.

For full disclosure - not a U Chicago alumnus or parent, so no horse in this race, at least at the present.

1 Like

Yeah, the uChicago threads are always puzzling to me, as someone who hasn’t seen rah-rah threads for the school, only threads where posters complain about uChicago.

I don’t see why this school in particular brings out such strong emotions on CC. Truly baffling.

5 Likes

Absolutely. But if you hear back from ED in mid-December, I know some people who then send out more RD apps to chase down the selectively spectrum. Of course, those with means that are open to a bit lower ranked school can go ED2 by Jan 1. The trick is when your ED1 institution defers you and you’re in love with them.

Section C21 of the CDS lists the portion of class who were applied and admitted via ED/ED II, and following the Columbia debacle, nearly all highly selective colleges make their CDS public, including Chicago. So it’s fairly standard to know approximate portion of class admitted ED/ED II.

Some example numbers are below, assuming 100% enrollment rate for ED admits (I realize actual will not be 100%, although it may be quite close, if college has good FA). Most highly selective private colleges seem to get ~half of class in the ED round. Chicago takes a unique position of leaving the ED enrollment section of CDS blank, which makes me suspect total is higher than typical.

Chicago – ???/2053
Bates – 338/517 = 65% of class via ED (CDS marks level of applicant’s interest as “important”)
Northwestern – 1105/2088 = 53% of class via ED
Swarthmore – 234/454 = 52% of class via ED
Cornell – 1930/3718 = 52% of class via ED
Bowdoin – 261/517 = 51% of class via ED
Columbia - - 761/1560 = 49% of class via ED
Penn – 1185/2418 = 49% of class via ED

4 Likes

Thanks, I know about CDSs. There are many sites that track the proportion of class filled in ED rounds by colleges, I sure hope you didn’t pull all that data to make some point.

Further, you took my quote out of context, I had just said how many students Tulane accepted in the RD round, so I was referring to Chicago’s RD round…not sure why that prompted your exercise.

Chicago has chosen not to divulge ED1/2 data on their CDS, nor their EA or RD data, which is their prerogative.

The quote said, “We don’t know how many Chicago admitted in that round, because they are not transparent with this data (nor are many schools).” I listed more detail about Chicago and “many schools” not being transparent about early round. If you don’t find the information relevant, feel free to ignore.

It’s hard for me to ignore when you keep quoting/tagging me. But I will try.

And this is the full context of my quote:

Again, I was talking about the very low acceptance rates in the RD rounds of schools with ED1/2 and EA and that we didn’t know the acceptance rate of Chicago’s RD round because they don’t release that data like Tulane does. Even if Chicago divulges ED1/2 info, we still wouldn’t know the RD numbers because they have an EA round.

Prior to this exchange, I only made one previous post in this thread, which did not quote/tag you.

You’ve made it clear what you were talking about, and I believe I’ve made it clear what I was talking about. I won’t repeat my comments.

1 Like

I’m going to assume the back and forth between the two posters will stop now, or move the conversation to PM please. Thank you!

7 Likes

In my anecdotal experience the kids who applied RD had a higher success ones than the ones that were deferred from EA and did not go with the ED2 option.

Some assumption was probably made about the likelihood of commitment of an EA applicant who was offered a chance to make a firm commitment but chose not to.

Acceptance Rate Plummets to 7.2 Percent for Class of 2022 – Chicago Maroon can confirm that - 4% for RD vs 0.5% for deferred EA.

1 Like

The article incorrectly says ‘early round’ (which would include ED1/2 deferrals as well as EA deferrals), but Nondorf clearly says ‘early action’ in the audio recording…regardless, this 0.5% is ridiculous. Wish we knew the EA acceptance rate.

1 Like

Note that the cited article is from May 2018, over four years ago, and refers to UChicago’s class of 2022, not high school class of 2022.

(At the moment, we are interested in data for the UChicago class of 2026.)

3 Likes

I was an international student who went to the University of Chicago when the acceptance rate was around 30%. Even back then, the University was a very well respected institution. I never felt any inferiority complex or the need to boast how great of an institution my alma mater was. While posting about yield and admit rates is fine, it’s somewhat unnecessary to make the Harvard juxtoposition.

I am of two minds on changes to admissions at UChicago. On the one hand, it doesn’t hurt to recruit from students who genuinely want to go to the place. I am pleased to see so much enthusiasm for UChicago from high school seniors. On the other hand, I am worried about how the University goes about improving its yield and admit rate – heavily recruiting from high schools that are known to be feeder schools and assembling a less socioeconomically diverse class (lower % of students receiving need-based aid than other highly selective colleges, higher % of international students who are more likely to pay the full sticker price, use of EDI/EDII). Only time will tell whether UChicago made the right decisions introducing these changes to its admissions.

7 Likes

Definitely true on a lack of SES diversity.

Now that U Chicago publishes a CDS, we can see that about 64% of the students have no financial need (h2c/h2a of the CDS show that 2694 students of 7511, or about 36%, were determined to have financial need). As discussed above, chicago doesn’t share how many students apply and are accepted in each round of admission.

2021-22 CDS: https://cpb-us-w2.wpmucdn.com/voices.uchicago.edu/dist/8/2077/files/2022/10/UChicago_CDS_2021-22.pdf

That number is pretty close what’s in the latest edition of US Snooze rankings (36% in '21). % students receiving grants based on need for other selective institutions are higher (Harvard 55%, Princeton 62%, Yale 53%, Stanford 50%, MIT 57%, Rice 45%, Dartmouth 48%, Vandy 48%, Hopkins 54%, CalTech 52%, Cornell 47%, Northwestern 44%, Brown 42%, Penn 45%).

I’ve noticed that my alma mater’s endowment, while trending up in recent years, is lagging behind other institutions in performance. Could potentially explain UChicago’s lower spending power per student.

2 Likes

UChicago has stated in admitted student events that deferred EA applicants who enter the RD round are accepted at a rate of less than 1%. My unhooked S21 was one of them.