UA Fellows Semi-finalist - what does it entail?

Mom2collegekids, thank you for all the info on UA. You have helped us immensely. DD notified Friday she is a Fellows semi finalist. We are humbled and recognize being selected as an honor. Did either of your 2 kids apply to it? I seem to recall seeing your opinion on a post but I can’t find it now. Are the Fellows kids friendly or are they intense/competitive? Thank you!

Hi,

Congrats. my kids didn’t apply to UFE. I had one child in CBH.

The UFE kids are friendly. I wouldn’t say that they’re competitive or intense in any sort of annoying or bad way. They are some of the brightest, highest achieving students, so they will be the type that wants to do their best.

Your child will soon have a phone interview. The questions will be rather basic…why are you interested in UFE. What are your passions. What are your leadership skills. What are your goals. What are your weak areas? And maybe an odd question, like, who in the world would you want to meet? Who would you want to have a meal with?

My daughter is a Fellow. They are high achievers, and very competitive–but not with each other! They are highly supportive of each other, and are a tight knit group. They routinely do things together, and support each other’s successes. When my daughter went to interview for a specific internship last Fall, two older Fellows coached her through it, based on their experience. Because they are high achievers, they are often involved in many things on campus, and all have very diverse interests.