UA to raise tuition, again, but the increase still less than others in SEC

<p>One thing that UA has that Auburn doesn’t is Alabama in its current name. I’ve met many people who’ve assumed that the two main schools in Alabama are “Alabama University” and “Alabama State University.” </p>

<p>While I highly doubt that people would vote for it, I’d like to see more cooperation between Auburn and the University of Alabama system. California has the UC and the CSU systems; Alabama could have the University of Alabama System (UA, UAB, UAH, and UA-Auburn or Auburn University of Alabama) and the Alabama State System (Directionally-named universities, HBCUs, etc.). People generally recognize that the University of California, Berkeley and the University of California, Los Angeles are both great schools and could do the same for UA and Auburn. After all, there has only officially been an “Auburn University” since 1960.</p>

<p>Alabama could have the University of Alabama System (UA, UAB, UAH, and UA-Auburn or Auburn University of Alabama)</p>

<p>I don’t see that happening.</p>

<p>UA, UAB, and UAH are the University of Alabama system. I doubt that Auburn would ever want to be part of it. I could see USA wanting to become a part of the UA system because it might help them strengthen their med school ranking.</p>

<p>The state has a very large number of publics universities (14) considering how small the state has.</p>

<p>Public Universities </p>

<p>Alabama A&M University - Normal, AL
Alabama State University - Montgomery, AL
Athens State University - Athens, AL
Auburn University - Auburn, AL
Auburn University at Montgomery - Montgomery, AL
Jacksonville State University - Jacksonville, AL
Troy University - Troy, AL
The University of Alabama - Tuscaloosa, AL
University of Alabama at Birmingham - Birmingham, AL
University of Alabama in Huntsville - Huntsville, AL
University of Montevallo - Montevallo, AL
University of North Alabama - Florence, AL
University of South Alabama - Mobile, AL ****
University of West Alabama - Livingston, AL</p>

<p>****University of South Alabama, which I should have mentioned in an earlier post, has the state’s second Medical School . UAB is the “home” of the University of Alabama School of Medicine - a high ranking research medical school.</p>

<p>Just for FYI…these are the private accredited universities (these are the non-profits)… There are 15 private univs.</p>

<p>Private Universities.</p>

<p>Amridge University - Montgomery, AL
Birmingham-Southern College - Birmingham, AL
Concordia College - Selma, AL
Faulkner University - Montgomery, AL
Huntingdon College - Montgomery, AL
Judson College - Marion, AL
Miles College - Birmingham, AL
Oakwood University - Huntsville, AL
Samford University - Birmingham, AL
Spring Hill College - Mobile, AL…(Jesuit)
Stillman College - Tuscaloosa, AL
Talladega College - Talladega, AL
Tuskegee University - Tuskegee, AL
United States Sports Academy - Daphne, AL
University of Mobile</p>

<p>There are a large number of OOS students at Auburn, and the Atlanta area does seem to be very well-represented. Having one daughter already at Auburn, it made me sad to see the scholarship cuts. Our rising junior will be visiting both AU and UA before making up her mind. If UA is more affordable and offers the same (or better experience, haven’t forgotten which forum I’m on :slight_smile: we may just be a house divided in CA.</p>

<p>I can’t imagine AU as a state-college type school, even if it isn’t as great as Bama.</p>

<p>I didn’t mean to imply that UA is behind AU in state, or out of state overall, just in the ATL area. AU has a clear advantage there, though I agree that there is potential for UA to improve its recruiting in that area even more. And yes, I agree, a student in CT, for example, is much more likely to want to visit UA than AU.</p>

<p>I can’t imagine AU as a state-college type school,</p>

<p>I’m not sure what you mean by this…AU is a state university…just like Bama is.</p>

<p>Yes, there are a good number of OOS students at AU, because it did have great scholarships. But, it’s not likely going to be able to maintain those numbers when it is decreasing OOS scholarships for students with scores up to ACT 33…and making its NMF scholarship competitive.</p>

<p>I do think that by reducing those scholarships, it will lose Atlanta/Georgia numbers. I was writing about future numbers, not current numbers when the scholarships were much better. Certainly, when an ACT 33 is getting free tuition, then going to Auburn can make sense…but if paying 1/2 OOS tuition is now the situation, why not go to UGA or Georgia Tech with the HOPE scholarship?</p>

<p>Aurburn will never (in the near future )consent to becoming part of the Alabama system. Lawmakers who went there will not let that happen. Same thing happens in Texas. Baylor would not go quietly into the night about sports stuff because the politicians who went there wouldn’t let it. A&M and UT (Texas) compete for money like crazy, led by politicians who claim either as their alma mater. It’s an issue of pride and a good rivalry (equals more money which cant happen if they are in the same system).</p>

<p>The only Alabama system auburn should be a part of is the penal system. After the Colonial Bank investigation and this Bingo trial gets through, most of their BOT and boosters will be behind bars anyway. Couldn’t happen to a nicer bunch of scumbags IMHO.</p>

<p>Speaking of auburn and the penal system. There were three people being executed via electric chair for committing a serious crime. One was an Alabama graduate, one a Vanderbilt graduate, and the other, an auburn graduate.</p>

<p>They were told that if they could survive, they could go free.</p>

<p>The Alabama guy sat in the electric chair, and the executioner asked, “Do you have any last words?” The Alabama guy said, “Yeah. Roll Tide!”. The executioner pushed the button, but the Alabama guy survived so he got to go free.</p>

<p>The Vanderbilt guy sat in the electric chair, and the executioner asked him if he had any last words. He said, “Yeah. Go Vandy!” The executioner pushed the button, but the Vanderbilt guy survived so he got to go free.</p>

<p>The auburn guy now went to the electric chair, and again the executioner asked, “Do you have any last words?” The auburn guy said, “Yeah. Your electric chair is unplugged.” </p>

<p>The auburn football team was placed in a remedial English class. The professor asked the class, “Does anyone know what comes after a sentence?”</p>

<p>All of the players raised their hands. “The appeal,” they shouted with tiger pride!</p>

<p>I have forgotten that AU is public and I think some people assume it is private at well. Coming from a state with one University and other “State” colleges I think it is a common assumption.</p>

<p>Because Auburn bears the name of it’s city, some might think it’s private, but it’s not.</p>

<p>It started as a private univ, but it’s been public for over a hundred years.</p>