UA, UAH, and AU form a consortium to support Aerospace in Alabama

<p>[UA</a>, AU, UAH work together on aerospace program | The Crimson White](<a href=“http://cw.ua.edu/2011/07/13/ua-au-uah-work-together-on-aerospace-program/]UA”>http://cw.ua.edu/2011/07/13/ua-au-uah-work-together-on-aerospace-program/)</p>

<p>Students from all three schools’ PhD programs will have the chance to study together under one professor for some classes.</p>

<p>*The University of Alabama, The University of Alabama in Huntsville and Auburn University have launched a consortium that will join the three schools together to compete among the top aerospace programs in the country.</p>

<p>John Jackson, a professor and alumnus of the University of Alabama, said this agreement has been 18 years in the making. Separately, the only three aerospace programs in the state did not have the resources or means to compete among the top schools in the nation. With this agreement, the three schools will work together to help the state be more competitive in the aerospace field.</p>

<p>“Because of the consortium, we can now compete against the top schools such as MIT and Georgia Tech,” Jackson said.</p>

<p>The purpose of the partnership is to bring the three colleges together and make it possible to share resources, courses and faculty.</p>

<p>According to Stanley Jones, head of the aerospace engineering and mechanics department, a program is already in the works to offer a class that will allow students from all three schools to be taught by one professor, which will be implemented in the spring 2012 semester.</p>

<p>This program is said to be the first of its kind in the state and will primarily benefit the Ph.D. program.</p>

<p>*</p>

<p>It may directly affect the PhD program, the the trickle down effects onto undergrad and masters programs will surely be felt in a positive manner.</p>

<p>The state of Alabama, UAH in particular, is in the final downselect for the National Solar Observatory. Several univerities were in the original downselect, but now only UColorado and UAH are under consideration.</p>

<p>Fingers-crossed for that as well.</p>

<p>Hopefully they can find a way to put (and keep) auburn, its students, and fans on Pluto</p>

<p>Actually, NJ, Neptune is the furthest planet from earth. Pluto is way too close.</p>

<p>So this is not the first step in a UA AU merger?</p>

<p>^^^</p>

<p>Merger of the actual colleges? No way. Just a consortium to up the state’s aerospace visibility.</p>

<p>The consortium plan is a good one. UAH used a consortium plan in order to be in the final downselect for the Nat’l Solar Observatory.</p>

<p>^^^
Just pok’n NJBama, he’s getting to mellow</p>

<p>Thanks MABama. I knew I should have attended that Astronomy class my freshman year. Neptune it is :-)</p>

<p>gojack, you and me are gonna be fightin if you ever post something like that again. I broke out in hives and cold sweats when I read it. The only thing I’d merge with that cow college is a nuclear bomb.</p>

<p>NJBama, I was picturing blood shooting out of your eyes…
But “hives and cold sweats” works also</p>

<p>Have you fully considered the possible merger synergies?
;></p>