UC Application - Submitting test scores as an International Student

Hey,

So I’m currently applying for 3 UC colleges through the UC application and it has two sections for submitting test scores. The first one is the “Academic History” section where I list high schools attended and the grades achieved.

I live in the UK so my exams are GCSEs and A levels, which I submitted on the Academic History section as best as I could, and added more details in the Other Academic History section for some courses that an option wasn’t given for.

However, there’s a special section in the Test Scores section for International External Exams where the option for GCSEs and A levels is given. I completed this two.

My question is, should I only have completed the Intl External Exams section, or both of them? Is the Academic History section only for US students?

Thanks! :slight_smile:

Hey @Tvistz I’m also a Uk applicant hoping to go to UCs.

From what I can see, International External Exams probably refers to (I)GCSEs and A Levels, and Academic History for school transcripts (?) I haven’t started filling in information on the UC App so I may be wrong, however.

If you don’t mind me asking, which UCs are you thinking of applying to, and what are your academics?

@crawleytownfc You have to send the transcripts physically from what I know. I think I’ll just fill out both sections; I won’t be disqualified for that, will I?

I’m applying to UCLA, UC Irvine, and UC Santa Barbara. My GPA is 3.9 and my SAT is 1940. In terms of UK grades, I have 6 As & one B for GCSEs and am predicted 3As for A levels. Hopefully with some killer essays and recommendations that will be enough!

Sorry but I’m afraid I won’t be able to give you sound advice, since I haven’t done the process myself, yet!!
And cool, I’m also thinking of UCLA. I wanted to ask why you’re thinking of UCs, do you qualify as in-state? if not the price tag seems to be way above other good universities, IMO. Your stats look pretty good by the way :slight_smile: ! all the best to you mate!

Are you applying to universities other than the UCs ?

@crawleytownfc I’m looking for colleges in SoCal as I have family friends there (the only people I know in America) and it looks like a great place for me. I just did some college searches online and narrowed them down to 8 by location, major, etc.

I won’t have enough money for UCs unless I get some financial aid, which is unlikely as I can’t take out a loan, but it’s still worth trying. Yes, they’re horribly expensive! I’m also applying to SDSU, CSULB, USD, USC, and Cal Poly SLO.

So far just applying has been too expensive. I’ve spend about £500 sending SAT scores and applying. Can’t believe in the UK it only costs £20-30.

Cool, its nice to know someone else in England’s heading to similar places! and thats good, there seems to be so many options to choose from when it comes to applying to america. Similar to you, I have relatives living in California, and I understand that its quite a big factor to consider when the country is so big and you won’t know anyone at first.

In terms of financial aid, I think its advisable to aim for a couple of small private colleges and LACs. Ive heard that they tend to be more generous for financial aid than public universities. Also, I think it would definitely be harder for an International to get into UCs or public unis, let alone receive financial aids.

And applying, yes I cannot agree more. SATs are practically 70 quid already and individual applications cost so much, too. But personally Im trying not to think about the cost to apply, since I don’t want to look back one day and think, ‘What if I applied to X and got in’? You know what I mean?

Are you applying to the UK too?

@crawleytownfc If you have relatives that you know well you can get them to cosign for you so you can take out a loan. I don’t think my family friends will though since it’s a big responsibility on their side and they don’t know us well enough.

And then there’s the visa and the plane ticket lol…A mini fortune. It seems so hard but I know it’ll be worth it. It’ll pay itself 100x times over when we have a good education and job.

I’m not applying to the UK; I can’t see myself studying here and I really just want to move out of this country and get a new start, live on my own, etc. And the US is much better for education and opportunities imo.

Are you applying to ones in the UK? Do you want to live in the US or will you return to the UK after?

Plan on returning to your country after you receive your education here.

If you plan on coming to the US for your education, you cannot assume that you will also have opportunities to be employed. As a student, you are a guest of this country for your education. You cannot presume that you will be employed. US Immigration takes this very seriously.

Immigration laws have changed; job opportunities aren’t always there for domestic candidates, even less so for non-residents. US companies are not hiring international candidates as in the past. They don’t want to sponsor visas or pay fees, when they can find US citizens who are readily employable.

If u are struggling already over just the cost of applying, then u cannot afford these schools. You will not get FA. Just the cost of tuition, fees, room & board will cost USD 55,000 per year, and that doesn’t even cover the cost of airfare a couple of times a year.

@“aunt bea” Yeah, I know I have to act as if I’m gonna come back when I’m finished with my education, but there’s nothing wrong with hoping.

@GMTplus7 I haven’t been struggling; I just think it’s pretty expensive.

U will not get FA from UCs. I suggest u focus on schools where u are eligible for it and not waste your time on the UCs. There’s no point applying to a school u cannot afford.