UC Berkeley may be forced to admit 5100 fewer students

The CA Supreme Court has set a briefing schedule for the case. UC filed its petition on Monday. The plaintiff, Save Berkeley’s Neighborhoods, has to file its answer to the petition tomorrow (Thursday). UC has to file its reply to the answer on Friday. Given the urgency, I’m guessing the court will rule on it next week. I hope so!

The case number is S273160 and you can find docket information for it on the California Courts website at California Courts - Appellate Court Case Information

15 Likes

one more link to obsessively hit refresh :slight_smile:

1 Like

Once this gets settled, either way, what will be the reality of the students in attendance?

@roycroftmom As @bluebayou mentioned, it is a small number of students and parents impacted each year when compared to Unions such as teachers, state employees etc. Hence, this group is never really represented in political decisions. In the long run, this kind of admission and funding decisions is not the right and we need a better solution - i don’t know what it is, but the UC Regents need to work on it. But i don’t think they feel the pain of students and hence don’t see anything good happening in the foreseeable future.

I appreciate the response, but remain puzzled-while it is a small number of families who are actually affected, who that exactly is will be largely unknown until senior year, and almost all parents could reasonably expect that their offspring may very well be impacted, or at least can’t be certain they won’t be. I would have expected all CA parents to want to maximize their child’s chances by keeping CA colleges primarily for CA students by legislation. TBH, I think that is the motivation in NC, Texas, maybe FL/GA. etc.

@siennared lol
but actually you can sign up for email updates on the case. so instead of constantly refreshing the web page, you can sprint to your phone every time your email notification goes off.

I agree that all CA Parents with kids in the K-12 system should band together on this. But unfortunately human nature (including mine) is short-sighted and only pay attention to this when our kids are in junior or senior years. I hope not to continue this behavior and plan to work with parents in our High & Middle school on this topic in the coming years. Now that both my kids will be out at college starting this fall, i should have time to work on this and a couple of my other pet topics like standardized testing, significant inequalities between schools & school districts etc.

1 Like

Not really. Kids learn pretty quickly that only the top xx % have a shot at Cal or UCLA from their HS and once the B’s (or worse) start Frosh year, they realize that they had better lower their sights for college (or somehow start earning A’s since Frosh grades don’t count for UC). And GC’s are really good about stressing that ‘any college is good, its what you do after graduation that matters more’.

2 Likes

Unfortunately, it says “Case not found” when you enter that case number in the link you provided.

@1337MOM try this direct link go the case

https://appellatecases.courtinfo.ca.gov/search/case/mainCaseScreen.cfm?dist=0&doc_id=2375790&doc_no=S273160&request_token=NiIwLSEmPkw9WyBRSCItUExIMDg0UDxTJCIuQzxTMCAgCg%3D%3D

3 Likes

Thank you, that worked!

should be noted that the lead attorney for the plaintiffs Save Berkeley’s Neighborhoods is a stanford law grad, and the majority of the attorneys for the UC Regents have either a UC undergrad or law degree.
So basically this is just like Big Game. GO BEARS!
:stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

7 Likes

what about the supreme court? can we work the refs?

3 Likes

@ucscuuw i wish. It looks like the justices are a lot of Ivy/stanford JDs, however.
Also, if you really want to get obsessive, Click on the “docket” link on the case page. They update every single action. A waste of time perhaps, but as equally productive as speculating as to the ratio of in-state versus out-of-state admissions.

This is gonna be a long month

I signed up for the court alerts

1 Like

And it’s not even a leap year!

3 Likes

While I recognize that your tongue was firmly planted in your cheek as you wrote this, sadly others felt that it meant such discussion would now be appropriate on the thread; it’s not. Post and responses deleted.

1 Like

It is indeed going to be a long month. We are OOS, and I know we sound like pariahs and non deserving to many of the in state students and families, but we have our hearts set on UCB, and have worked hard for it. Good luck to all of us, in state or oos. May the court order get stayed and all the deserving kids admitted

6 Likes

Gavin Newsom today “I urge the Supreme Court to step in to ensure we are expanding access to higher education and opportunity, not blocking it.”

Also, FWIW, Berkeley City Council “has unanimously voted to authorize an amicus brief in support of UC Berkeley in the court ruling limiting enrollment.”

This is directly from @UCBerkeley’s twitter acct, if you’d like to read more.

2 Likes

Thanks for all of the updates. I had to Google what an amicus brief was. :smile: