UC Berkeley may be forced to admit 5100 fewer students

Like me, many have moved to CA from other parts due to tech boom. So I think the variety will be there. My son and daughter can bring in the Massachusetts perspective, although they did High school in CA.

I myself helped move 10-20 of my colleagues from other parts of US via job referral. Their kids will bring perspective of Florida, Ohio et al.

California is a microcosm of the entire US.

7 Likes

Weird offer to UCB by Save Berkeleyā€™s Neighborhoods: 1,000 more students could attend UC Berkeley next fall ā€” if university system accepts groupā€™s conditions

ā€œOne thousand additional California high school students could attend UC Berkeley next fall under a new offer from Save Berkeleyā€™s Neighborhoodsā€¦ if the University of California halted its effort to get out from under the cap through the courts and state Legislature.ā€

ā€œUC Berkeley could enroll 1,000 more students provided that at least 90% of the new undergraduates are California residents and if the UC system ā€œdoes not attempt to exceed total enrollment of 43,347 for the 2022-23 academic year by further legal action in the courts or state legislature.ā€

Thanks for posting this @mhafez01
Based on principle alone, there is no way that UC Regents agrees to this, even if itā€™s a good deal on the surface. There is a quote in the article from a UC rep that basically says that Cal is not going to let a small group of litigants dictate how many students it can enroll. I agree with this sentiment wholeheartedly.

5 Likes

Hi everyone, I have a question.

I am a student who has been living in california for about 11-12 years. However, I am on a H4 visa. My dad has an H1B visa and we are in the process of getting our greencard. We have our SSN and EAD already.

Am I considered international/oos or instate because my parents have been paying taxes in california for most of my lifeā€¦

For international students getting shut out, I feel bad, as I myself moved from outside US for grad school.

There are many great schools in USA, not just UC Berkeley. So this is almost nothing.

Also look into schools in Singapore (NUS/NTU), HK (HKUST), and Europe (ETH Zurich etc). They may be on par with UC Berkeley undergrad education. NUS has programs with MIT and Duke (I used to teach in NUS, so know the quality well).

Also, remember getting an H1b is super tough now. Many intl students dont get selected in lottery, and are leaving for Canada and Europe, if they are lucky to get their employer to move them there.

Donā€™t be disheartened if UC Berekely leaves your kid out, and you are applying from outside.

See page 22 on the link: https://www.ucop.edu/uc-legal/_files/ed-affairs/uc-residence-policy.pdf

Thank you Gumbymom. However someone told me that that only applies for residency and not for admissions purposes. Is this true or am I a resident for admissions purposes as well?

I do not see the difference. If you are considered a resident of California for tuition purposes, you would be considered in-state for admissions unless you applied to UCB prior to meeting the residency requirement.

A minor whose custodial parent entered the United States with one of the visa types listed above may be eligible for residence if more than one year prior to bthe minorā€™s parent applied for a change of status to either permanent resident or to an eligible visa type for residence purposes (the student and the parent must remain on a current valid immigration visa status while waiting for a decision on his/her permanent residence application), and if the parent has received one of the following:

• An approved Petition to Classify Status of Alien Relative
  • An approved preference petition
  • An approved labor certification
  • An approved application for an A, E, G, H-1 & H-4, I, K, L, O-1, O-3, or R visa status
  • An approved Request for Asylum in the U.S. (I-589)

If unsure, contact UCB admissions.

Thanks you so much

I completely disagree. You fund a university that has a good name and it becomes your personal property that you and your kid can use and not give equal preference to the oos kids? Not fair. Also teaching your kid to discriminate based on what date they come from? This is United States

Many state universities do this. Itā€™s not unique. Iā€™d love to go to Madison but they prioritize Wisconsin applicants first and foremost making it a tough admit for OOS. I respect they take care of their residents first and foremost.

7 Likes

Not true. Where does it say. You probably moved to cali before someone else. I can afford to pay 2 times more taxes than you are paying and I want my kid to go to Berkley if he is deserving not because he can afford taxes or lives in a certain geographical area. Also I am giving you a general idea about taxes not line by line single dollar calculation. So you need to look at the bigger picture.

Lol you keep saying itā€™s the United States. Thereā€™s nothing in the constitution that says your kid is promised admission to the most competitive schools in California.

6 Likes

I read the article. It is a total political power play - with carrots and sticks, trying to force the Regents accept the demands of the politicians. Look, if UCB does not want the OOS students, then they should say so - now. Making them a pawn in this game is not fair or good business.

1 Like

Thanks. This is DOA.

1 Like

FWIW, our CA taxes pay for our state beaches.

This shouldnā€™t be any new news for readers. From what Iā€™ve read on CC, Florida, North Carolina and Texas, just to name three, ā€œheavilyā€ restrict OOS admittances. Please correct me, if Iā€™m wrong.

Iā€™m not sure what the argument is here. CA is already proceeding with their efforts to further restrict OOS admittances. We do have the largest populous of the 50 states.

7 Likes

Did I say he is. Please read what I said. I said if he deserves it and not because he lives in a certain area. How about your kid. If you live in California that means that your kid deserves it

If your kid and my kid have the same stats? My kid should get in due to residency. I would expect the same at the OOS state schools my kid applied to.

9 Likes

Very balanced comment, as always! Isnā€™t it up to the Regents, though? They are the gatekeepers and trustees. Can the CA legislature be trusted to fund the UCB budget and shortfalls due to the change?

1 Like

Iā€™m still laughing about the post that says CA residents pay higher taxes bc of our weather :joy:

5 Likes