UC Berkeley may be forced to admit 5100 fewer students

I wonder what will happen after the melt. Many in-state acceptances will likely go elsewhere (more than in the past I am guessing, pushing UCLA yield up) so then is the next step to replace those with waitlisted in-state applicants or to “upgrade” OOS applicants who were accepted to online or late start?

Yes, last Year enrollments : CA was 73.3 % , OOS 13.5% , International : 13.3%.

2 Likes

How are they going to choose which students will be on campus, remote, or enroll in Jan? Will it be a lottery or based on some metrics?

1 Like

For anyone interested, it was 77.5%, 11.3%, and 11.2% for College of Engineering.

2 Likes

I have the same question.

It could be down to many factors:

• OOS/international are great for remote since it eliminates visa, housing issues but timezones are a huge problem for internationals
  • Low income students may want that option for freshman year since it cuts costs and the freshman year does not have too many major specific courses
  • In-state students may be prioritized to receive a full college experience
  • OOS may be prioritized for in-person since they may not pay ridiculous tuition for an online experience
1 Like

If your kid got in, but for second semester or online -would that impact their decision to accept enrollment?

1 Like

Impact: yes. Wouldn’t be an absolute no, though. Depends on the other options.

1 Like

At the end of the day it is Berkeley. Although the online or second semester start date aren’t ideal it would not change our interest or desire. I would still want my son to attend regardless.

1 Like

I question how the online option helps with the crowding in the neighborhood. These kids (many wealthy OOS/intl - for time zone purposes) could still be online and just rent an apartment nearby.

This was a great interview…I encourage people to watch! Thanks for posting

2 Likes

Historically, they offered students at the bottom margin spring admission. In some years, they also offered more students a choice of regular fall admission, or spring admission with FPF or study abroad in the fall. However, it seemed like it usually excluded CoE and CoC students, where some of their usual fall frosh courses are not offered in FPF. However, the GMP, an additionally selective program that comes with direct admission to the business major, also has a special study abroad for the fall, with entry to regular UCB in the spring.

Not every student who enrolls with spring start or fall online will do that. Obviously, fall study abroad students won’t do that.

1 Like

Berkeley has offered “January start” for several years. Are the numbers going to be significantly different than they have been in the past?

400 grad students from COE and Haas seems like a lot.

Maybe my calculations are wrong but here is what I see with this whole move to maximize in-state. It is not an economic argument but more prestige argument. I do think with more in-state admissions the overall academic quality in UCB goes down - this is not a hunch but a fact. OOS/Internationals need to have much higher stats to get in. Over next several years UCB ranking will slip at the undergrad level compared to other schools. I do think healthy ratios need to be maintained overall with no more than 80% seats going to in-state. I do think there are many other options for OOS full fee paying students and UCB needs to attract them not only for money but to maintain very high academic standards

1 Like

Do you think UT Austin has been going down with the 90/10 ratio by law? They seem to be going up in the rankings.

6 Likes

I do think its capped, right now its (UT Austin) 38 in National Universities. UCB is 22. I just don’t see the data points that are used for ranking (graduation rates, Peer assessment, Student excellence rank) will get better or remain the same taking in students who academically are not at the same level as top OOS applicants

UCB admitted far fewer OOS applicants prior to 2007. Have the rankings gone up since then? There are many rightful reasons to welcome OOS and internationals. Maintaining rankings is not one of them.

9 Likes

My point is around maintaining academic excellence, rankings are just a lagging indicator of that. Of course there are other good reasons too

1 Like

Right but the top students that UCB did not take may have gone to UCLA or other great out of state schools. These aren’t just the bottom of the barrel students. Like Austin and UWashington (lower OOS and 2-3% oos CS) are taking in top international and oos students. But my main point is that the in-state making up those few percentages are not slops are “degrade” the UCB brand

5 Likes

Totally agree, I am sorry if I gave that impression. Just a numbers game Avg GPA of the admitted class going lower would impact the rankings. I don’t think anyone can call student who qualifies for UCB slops with whatever percentage. I do think though when you compare UCB graduate with other top schools there would be a difference over the long haul. This may be fair price to pay ultimately if you look from the angle of in state parents / students