UC Berkeley may be forced to admit 5100 fewer students

We’re not talking about the entire budget. We’re talking about the part of the budget that funds undergraduate education, aka Core Funding. The fact that UCs get federal funding for research, etc (which is restricted funding, i.e. can only be used for that research) is irrelevant. Here’s what the 2021-2022 report of the California Legislative Analyst Office says about the sources of Core Funding: “UC Core Funding Is $10.3 Billion in 2021‑22. Of this amount, $4.8 billion (46 percent) comes from state General Fund, $5.1 billion (50 percent) comes from student tuition and fee revenue, and $424 million (4 percent) comes from other sources.”

1 Like

States with more selective flagships like CA and WA are unlikely to want to offer space there at a large pre-set discount in exchange for some of their own students being able to go to less selective flagships (that may be offering big merit scholarships anyway) at a similar discount.

Federal Funding comes in two major categories, first support for students ( Financial Aid, Grants and Loans) this money is not allocated to a specific school but would go wherever the student chose to attend. This makes up appproximately 2/3 of Federal Funding.

Second is Federal Support for Research.This can be argued is tied to National Priorities ( Energy, Defense, Medical Research ETC.) and that the Federal Government is paying for a service from the contracted University and not supporting it a fundamental way this is due to the research dollars being highly targeted in scope.

While State funds have paid over generations for the Physical and intellectual infrastructure of the University.

The 2 schools i am comparing are almost similar in demographics, but the standards expected by the schools have been different for a long time. The school principal and the teachers at one school expect kids to do better, work harder, and the kids themselves push each other to excel. Parents who want their kids to be challenged send their kids to the demanding school. but i am seeing the trend change as the parents are realizing that they are putting their kids at a disadvantage when it comes to college admission. Unfortunately the state and district standards give flexibility to the schools to differentiate themselves.

1 Like

Maybe. But if students of California, Washington, Oregon, Colorado, Utah, and Arizona could all attend any of the Pac-12 schools (plus maybe a few desirable others, like UCSB and UCI) at in-state tuition - couldn’t that be a potential win-win worth exploring?

Some of the schools will remain more selective than others, but so what? Students one tier lower will have more affordable options in multiple states.

I don’t know why the idea should be considered a non-starter. It offers the advantage of also being temporary, so when numbers of new students start declining in a few years, the option could go away.

1 Like

You are forgetting that California students who can get in to UCs and Washington students who can get into UW may be offered significant merit scholarships at public universities in Arizona, Utah, etc. anyway. What is the gain to California and Washington for giving some of the space in their most popular state universities (which have enough non-resident students paying full non-resident list price) while their own students would not get that much better a deal in the other states than they already do through significant merit scholarships?

Note that Utah makes it relatively easy for the student to gain Utah residency without the parents having to move there. In some cases, this may result in a lower four year cost than WUE tuition over four years.

2 Likes

The only reason the Save Berkeley is suggesting to limit OOS applicants is to avert public political pressure from CA State politicians; and the way UCB is playing it is to start a public pressure campaign that mainly emanates from CA. Separately, the economic rationale may even suggest to accept more OOS/international applicants to meet the budget goals.

1 Like

■■■ was Cal thinking? Just run out the clock against the courts? I don’t get it.

3 Likes

Not sure that OOS interest in UCI is new. In 2017 when the UC Regents capped OOS at 18% for most campuses, UCI was one of the four that was grandfathered in with higher than 18% OOS.

From UC Press Room.

Under the policy, the first of its kind at UC, nonresident enrollment will be capped at 18 percent at five UC campuses. At the other four campuses where the proportion of nonresidents exceeds 18 percent — UC Berkeley, UC Irvine, UCLA and UC San Diego — nonresident enrollment will be capped at the proportion that each campus enrolls in the 2017–18 academic year.

1 Like

What’s UC Irvine business school like ? never hear much about it…seems like the lower admissions could directly affect UCI b-school admissions, as I think only Irvine and Berkeley of the UC’s have undergrad b-schools…

I really wish the UCs can cap OOS numbers at an even lower level specifically for impacted majors while giving greater flexibility to other majors. This way budgetary considerations can be met as well as keeping the in-state applicants happy. I fear most of the OOS applications are also primarily targeting the same capped majors - so may not work in practice if it can ever be implemented.

1 Like

Riverside also has a business school.

2 Likes

https://www.sfgate.com/bayarea/article/cal-evans-hall-to-be-demolished-16914778.php

And UCSC came out with this news a few days ago:

https://news.ucsc.edu/2022/02/faculty-expansion.html#:~:text=UC%20Santa%20Cruz%20plans%20to,new%20employees%2C%20based%20on%20demand.

2 Likes

UC Riverside has an accredited undergrad Biz major.

oops, cross posted.

1 Like

My daughter’s problem as a California resident interested in the UC’s was that only Cal and UCLA offered her major. Those two schools were mega reaches for her just like for many many others. She would have been willing to apply to the other UC’s if they had her major.

1 Like

Curious, Which major?

2 Likes

Deleted

So this has a big ripple effect with increased commits to other schools and less chances to get off deferrals/waiting lists?

If I were in UCLA admissions, I’d be making fewer offers and putting more applicants onto the waitlist until I had a clearer idea of what this would mean for yield.

6 Likes

By law, CSUs cannot be turned into UCs. UCLA and UC Santa Barbara were both initially state colleges (as they were called then). In 1946, supporters of the CSU (then California State College) system had the state Constitution amended to prevent any more CSUs from being converted to UCs.

2 Likes