UC Berkeley may be forced to admit 5100 fewer students

MIT is private not relevant
A better comparison would be MIT to Stanford

I was full pay for S at Stanford and will be full pay for D at JHU starting this fall. Yes, it is nice to be able to afford full pay. Required hard work and planning. :grinning:

5 Likes

@Rivet2000 agreed. We’ve been planning and socking away since before our 3 kids were born. not fun, but worth it.

1 Like

I respectfully disagree on the net dollar contribution argument.

Fair enough.

True, but there will always be parents that can afford OOS. Or kids that receive scholarships. I personally think it’s best for Universities to have representation of a large mix of students from across the nation & world.

1 Like

Federal funding is a separate issue. Federal money to colleges covers 3 things: research that the US government wants to see funded; contracts for goods/services the US government wants from colleges (e.g. use of specialized labs); and federal student loans. When it comes to state funding, that comies from California taxpayers, just like every other state’s public university system is funded by its own taxpayers and not the taxpayers of other states. Federal funding is a strawman argument.

1 Like

But the UC’s are not available to OOS students who need financial aid. No need based aid and minimal merit scholarships for OOS students.

1 Like

I think we need to see the nuance related to majors in such complaints.
Competitive majors have too few seats compared to the demand of students for them.
It is easy to blame OOS students.
I did that when I came to know Penn State for its prestigious BS/MD program selects 90% OOS students (yes, you read it right 90% OOS) while most other BS/MD programs favor In-state students.

Diversity is important for kids to grow up in this multi-cultural world and is especially important in the heart of Silicon Valley.
Restricting OOS to me is not the answer.

1 Like

Federal funding does not come in vacuum - it is funded by all tax payers, including OOS tax-payers.
86% of UC-B’s budget is NOT funded by the state.

This also means that individual UC campuses are relatively small compared to the state population (or state population of high school graduates heading to college). Hence the high level of competition and selectivity for admission to most of the UC campuses, as opposed to a theoretical situation where there was one UC with 180,000 undergraduates. While it would be helpful from a state and university planning standpoint if students considered the nine campuses to be approximate equals (i.e. so that they can be viewed more like one giant campus), that is not the actual case in how students rank them in desirability.

The “problem” is that students largely have a hierarchical ranking of UC campuses. UCR and UCM are not hyper-selective, but that is because students are less interested in those campuses.

If UC were to build yet another campus, it would probably be at the bottom of student desirability.

2 Likes

Not every state university is a nationally-recognized flagship or close to it. That was why I suggested interstate compacts to open up the number of those kinds of institutions at in-state tuition rates.

2 Likes

There is usually a 70% admit rate among kids at our HS (MA public) that apply to the UCs (typically UCB, UCSB, UCSD & UCLA) - however only about 1/3 enroll. These kids are super achievers, however, and academically highly qualified – I wouldn’t consider them lesser applicants. The question of whether or not this is fair is another question.

3 Likes

Yet UC Riverside is still more selective than our two neighbor flagships, Univ of Arizona and Univ of Oregon, both of which have a lot of California kids who attend (and who likely turned up their nose at UCR’s offer.)

1 Like

The decline in funding to the UCs was initially due to a severe budget crisis. But since then, even in times of plenty, the original levels of funding were never restored. The UCs have no choice but to figure out a way to fund that gap.

It’s stupid & short-sighted of the govt not to restore funding to the UCs. Of course, in a huge and diverse state like CA there are many, many competing demands on the budget, so I’m not suggesting that this is an easy problem. But when a country spends more on the prison industrial complex than on education, it will lead to long-term systemic issues, some of which we’re only now beginning to see. Wait till the student loan problem balloons into a full-fledged economic crisis nationwide.

6 Likes

The existing interstate compact that California is part of (WUE) offers 1.5 times in-state tuition to residents of these states. However, only those state universities which are less selective (meaning that they are willing to offer space at the WUE rate) make that offer. UCM is the only UC that makes that offer.

The legacy of leaded gasoline which led to the 1960s-1990s crime wave which led to “tough on crime” sentiment and politics which led to longer sentences (determinate sentencing, three strikes) which led to greatly increased prison expense which led to squeezing out other state budget items like higher education

In other words, eating the seed corn for the future to pay for the problems of the past.

1 Like

That’s why it’s called “UC California at Eugene” around here in my part of the SF Bay Area.

Not all the UC’s, certainly not as selective at UCR and UCM. We also have CSU’s and in fact, the CSU is re-branding CSU Humboldt into the 3rd Cal Polytechnic.

I am aware of WUE. As you note, it doesn’t apply to flagships or full in-state tuition.

That’s why I suggested a new compact could potentially help.

1 Like