UC Berkeley vs UC Irvine for English (Transfer)

I’m an English major who has an interest in creative writing and right now I’m torn between transferring to Cal and Irvine for fall 2019. I’m attracted to the program at Cal because of the many upper-division class choices that are offered each semester for English majors, and I like that the major itself is pretty flexible in terms of allowing students to tailor the program to their own interests by taking mostly elective courses in addition to the two required courses. However, I like Irvine’s program since it offers an emphasis in creative writing, and if I were to go to Irvine I would like to also complete the minor in Literary Journalism. At Berkeley, I would have to complete the separate creative writing minor, but I also heard that their creative writing classes are hard to get into.

In terms of distance, UCB is more convenient. Since I got Regents at Irvine, my tuition is almost fully covered there, so I would only have to pay for housing, etc. However, I wonder if the money I save from having better financial aid there would just be swallowed up by the greater transportation costs since I live about 8 hours away from Irvine.

I would love to hear about anyone’s experiences with the English program at either school. I visited Berkeley during Transfer Day; I didn’t exactly fall in love with the campus but I certainly wouldn’t mind going there. I can’t really afford to travel to Irvine right now, so that’s part of the reason why I’m undecided since I haven’t visited. I’m not really sure if I’d be missing out on anything offered at Irvine (besides better financial aid/Regents) if I were to choose Berkeley. I guess the biggest question I have is, as someone who isn’t really sure what specific career they want to pursue after college, which school would be better considering everything else I’ve mentioned?

they are both excellent which is no doubt part of the reason you are having trouble choosing.
I haven’t priced it recently but, i bet the cost of room and board will be comparable close to either campus. Thanks to Southwest, if you are flexible, you can fly to Orange County for less than $100 - or of course drive and share the cost with another student. Since its just a couple of years, you will only need a few trips. So, it shouldnt be too much,

Go where you want and don’t feel bad about it.

Since you appear to be neutral despite the financial incentives at UCI, commit to UC Berkeley for the better name recognition for employment and opportunities.