***UC College Admission Frustration/Disappointment/Rejection Thread 2021**

@youcee Thanks for the perspective, but I think I do need to start planning for the finances of a much more pricey four years than we had planned since her birth. Maybe “worrying” was the wrong word, but honestly, the idea of saddling my kids with thousands of dollars in debt, and expecting them to somehow start a life in CA where the housing prices are impossible, does keep me up at night. Good for you that your kid got in, but I think that it still sounds pretty random and lucky to have gotten in, definitely not a given, as it should be for a top student. I definitely am not in the mindset that any one school is best for my kids–not by a long shot. I just am rattled by the idea that any kid with top grades and scores–my kid or anyone else’s–can’t make a reasonably safe assumption that they will get into a UC. It’s not right. I see a lot of kids in the CC where I teach who are so smart and dedicated and they don’t get to have that college experience. They’re getting a good education, but, honestly, they worked about ten times harder in high school than our generation, and what did they get for it? A heck of a lot less than we got! They are very bitter, too, believe me. And I can’t blame them. I really believe that the residential experience of freshman year is good for young people, and I want my kids to have that. You can’t really get that feel at most of the CalStates. The sense of community just isn’t the same.

@ccprofandmomof2: There are several excellent Cal States that can give you the same residential experience as the UC’s: San Diego State and Cal Poly SLO to name a few and they can be just as competitive as many of the UC’s. Sure our kids work hard but they also need to be realistic about their chances. The UC’s have taken steps to cap the # of OOS/International students allowed to enroll and have made a commitment to accept more in-state applicants. Hopefully these positive steps will continue and just keep an open mind.

I personally think “fit” is very important for a student to have a fulfilling college experience which should include academics, financial considerations and the social aspects.
I had one son at a UC and have one at a Cal State and neither was or is lacking in any of these areas. I love the quote “Bloom where planted”.

@ccprofandmomof2 I don’t really disagree with anything you say, but you asked for some positive experiences and I was just trying to provide one - it’s not all doom and gloom. You are right to think about finances, we underestimated that because costs went way up about 10 years or so ago. We did not have AP classes when I was in HS, so I was really surprised how many the top kids are taking nowadays. That was one adjustment we made for our younger child to get him to take more and higher quality APs. Include Cal Poly in your list with the UCs because it has a nice residential experience too. There is a site called admitguide.com that has info from UC that will show how kids from your HS have fared at each of the UCs - number of applicants, number of acceptances, etc. That and some of the Naviance data can give an indication how your child compares. Things will really start accelerating her junior year. Best of luck to her.

@youcee @Gumbymom Thank you! I really do appreciate it. And you’re right…I need to think positively!

@PadreDeTres , @CABoyMom I read your comments on this thread with great interest! My son is in a similar position this year, having no offers from the UCs in mechanical engineering. He has an unweighted GPA of 4.0 and UC GPA of 4.3 at a competitive public high school in Cupertino. I have intently parented him to be well-rounded teen who is happy both mentally and physically. As a third-generation California resident and UC grad, I am really disappointed that my son does not have an offer from the UC system and we will likely send him out of state and pay out-of-state tuition. I imagine the CA population is growing and the UCs need to open more spots to accommodate more in-state applicants. I don’t see any noticeable effect from the UC promise of capping out-of-state residents in this year’s admission process. But I also agree that either a match system or early action might be helpful to reduce the crazy number of schools students now apply to and allow students to indicate their preferences.

I’m curious, @PadreDeTres if your article to the news press or the UC Chancellor was received or published? What else can we do as parents to influence change in the UC admissions process?

I haven’t read the rest of the thread, but I figure I’d offer my 2 cents. I believe the UC system has a promise to students within the top 9% or so of their class that they are guaranteed a spot at a UC. It sounds like your son may fit the bill.

@ANormalSeniorGuy Don’t feel guilty. You didn’t get into Haas yet. I have a student who is graduating from Haas undergrad this May, but it is very competitive. Don’t count your chickens before they hatch.

@amaizyng While it’s true that kids in the top 7% of the CA HS are guaranteed a spot a “a” UC school, the reality is the school to which they’re admitted will be Merced, Riverside or Santa Cruz. My son lasted one quarter at UCSC and realized it was not a good fit for him at all - academically nor socially. He easily made straight As, but was so unhappy he took a leave from the school and is currently attending our local CC, which he’s finding far more challenging and interesting.

Your experience may be very different, but that’s our reality.

All seniors graduating from California high schools who meet the Admissions index (top 9% statewide) will be guaranteed acceptance to one UC campus (Merced). You will simply apply to the campuses you are interested in attending, and if you are not accepted at any of those campuses, the UC system will automatically forward your application to Merced.

I do have data from UCM showing not all ELC eligible HS students were offered spots last year so it is not guaranteed anymore.