UC Irvine Class of 2025 — Regular Decision

when will UCI send out formal acceptance letters?

My daughter received hers in the mail today. In-state, local.

2 Likes

Campus buildings are still closed, but you can definitely walk around the loop and also get a good sense of the 2 different dorm areas. Also highly recommend you walk across the bridge (over Campus Dr.) to the UTC, University Town Center, to see all the many fast food/take out eateries, movie theater, small Target, etc. Very popular student area.

We plan to be there next week as my freshman is finally being invited to go to the campus bookstore to pick up her “free” sweatshirt. (Bookstore is still closed to public; it’s appointment only.)

1 Like

@SoCalKel We will be there this weekend. Do we just GPS UTC on google map?

Yes! Just look at the campus area in satellite view & it’s right there, just across from the Barclay theater.

Here is the link to the shopping center in case you want to put it in your GPS. Parking has a 2 hr limit so if you park there to wander around campus, make sure you watch the time.

Irvine University Town Center

@lkg4answers Thanks so much! I just bookmarked it in my google map!

If UTC security sees you go across the bridge to campus, you will likely get towed. They don’t play around with the parking situation. UCI parking is free this year so just use the regular lots on campus.

2 Likes

Yup. We are parking at the Student Event Center area and using that as the homebase. Thanks for the heads up!

ICS doesn’t seem to like IVC much. They prefer CS classes from OCC. Research options carefully if you decide to go this route. Apparently the IVC classes are seen as too easy to count for credit.

With recent vaccination numbers etc. does anyone think the campus will be open for in person for the fall?

@NewParentCA I believe the UC Regents or the general UC news had announced that they plan to have in-person session Fall 2021.

1 Like

I was able to find this info when I googled for the other UCs, but wondering if without the Biology Dept, can a student change his/her major (e.g. instead of molecular bio, switch to gen bio)? We are down to the final stretch of choosing between two UCs so S21 is reviewing every single detail to compare. Thank you!

Although they are all part of the UC system, what is open on each UC campus continues to change based on case rates and county tier. Today is the first day of spring quarter and at least one UC is offering small in person classes and labs. Another UC is moving new students into dorms. You will probably hear announcements this week about how each UC will handle in-person graduation differently. Numbers in California are improving and things are beginning to open up. That said, the first day of school is 6 mos away and, as we all know, the best laid plans can change.

2 Likes

I would definitely suggest directly calling UCI, whether it be their office, the admissions people (people call them all the time for questions so don’t worry), or you should utilize the live “Zot Chat” on their website (should appear here Applicant Portal | Office of Undergraduate Admissions | UCI). Just click the little blue circle/speech bubble in the bottom right corner, and type in “Speak to live person” and the Anteater should direct you to one (might have to check the online hours for when advisors are available). Then you could ask and they’ll answer for sure.

But in my general understanding, yes, regardless of your department or major, you can request to switch majors, not sure about the specifics or requirements, that probably depends on the major, in exception of those like Nursing which are extremely selective and difficult to get into.

1 Like

Along the lines of opening up, UCI is planning a student only graduation ceremony. Cal is planning a similar type of graduate only in-person ceremony..

Under general questions on the UCI Commencement site.
We are planning – pending local health guidelines and conditions – to hold in-person, graduating student-only Graduate Stage Moments the week after the virtual Commencement program on June 12, 2021. The exact dates and times are yet to be determined. Only graduates will be permitted to be on site. No audience members, family members, or other guests will be allowed to accompany graduates. The Graduate Stage Moment will be recorded and streamed live for guests to safely view remotely.

Information on how to participate will be sent to graduates directly as plans are confirmed.

Wait, do all admitted students get the free sweatshirt offer???

does anyone know when financial aid letters come out for out of state students? one of my friends who lives in cali had gotten hers but i haven’t (arizona resident)

@jessicaata: You do understand that as an OOS student, you will receive little to no financial aid from UCI? You should expect to pay close to full price.

3 Likes

No. Sweatshirt offer is for enrolled freshman or new transfers. Usually given out in fall at the start of the academic year, didn’t happen this year due to Covid. They’re (finally) allowing in-person pick up this week. (Guess shipping out to everyone was too costly?)

1 Like